Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Science or Atheism symbols on your body?

Grimmie

I put this thread in this section because I want this to be a friendly discussion, not another argument about who is right or wrong for doing this or that.

Anyways, I think we all know that in the West symbols of Christianity are common on people, from jewelry to tattoos. My wife has a tattoo of a cross on her ankle. I may or may not have a tattoo of something...

My question is, are there any non-believers that have tattoos or wear other symbols that represent their world view? I know I have seen some atheist tattoos online, but does anyone here have any, or know anyone that has them?

If you do, what does this suggest? Does it make it seem more "religious" or tell something about that person? Does this cross some type of line into the realm of religion? How would you feel about seeing someone with a tattoo about atheism or science, when compared to one about Christianity or another faith?

Look forward to hearing what you all think about this topic.

• Like 4

I think you are camouflaging your question in regards to those getting a tattoo of science or atheism with this:

Revelation 13:15-18 New International Version (NIV)

15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man.[a] That number is 666.

I think you are camouflaging your question in regards to those getting a tattoo of science or atheism with this:

15 The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. 16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man.[a] That number is 666.

Um, sorry?

No, my question has nothing to do with anything in the Bible.

I used to wear a humanist medal.

I took that off the chain and replaced it with a trilobite.

Edited by shadowsot
  • Like 1

I think getting an "Atheist symbol" would be very...wrong. It seems like whoever would do that is missing the whole point.

Personally I have 6 tattoos. None of which necessarily reflect my religious beliefs or lack thereof. I go for art, things that looks good. I have a celtic cross with tons of knots and colors because it looks awesome, a grim reaper because it looks good and is my acceptance that death will come at some point, some egyptian symbology, a panther because Iw as told (for what it's worth) it was my animal spirit, a dragon with a ying yang symbol, and a stained glass window because I like the colors

I think getting an "Atheist symbol" would be very...wrong. It seems like whoever would do that is missing the whole point.

Around here it isn't uncommon to have something so other atheists can recognize you.

I don't see the point in an atheist tat....if you're an atheist, you shouldn't care enough to proclaim it to all

I don't see the point in an atheist tat....if you're an atheist, you shouldn't care enough to proclaim it to all

What if it is something about science that many Christians would take to be atheism?

Not seeing how science = atheism

It doesn't. But many people, atheists and religious, see it that way or make that argument.

People take pride in things that set them apart from the mainstream.

Until that separation factor becomes mainstream.

I only have 2 tattoo. Chain links across both wrist. Nothing to do with any system of faith.

I put this thread in this section because I want this to be a friendly discussion, not another argument about who is right or wrong for doing this or that.

Anyways, I think we all know that in the West symbols of Christianity are common on people, from jewelry to tattoos. My wife has a tattoo of a cross on her ankle. I may or may not have a tattoo of something...

My question is, are there any non-believers that have tattoos or wear other symbols that represent their world view? I know I have seen some atheist tattoos online, but does anyone here have any, or know anyone that has them?

If you do, what does this suggest? Does it make it seem more "religious" or tell something about that person? Does this cross some type of line into the realm of religion? How would you feel about seeing someone with a tattoo about atheism or science, when compared to one about Christianity or another faith?

Look forward to hearing what you all think about this topic.

I would be more worried about 'other' types of tatts.

enhanced-buzz-1281-1398765881-9.jpg

• Like 5

I would be more worried about 'other' types of tatts.

enhanced-buzz-1281-1398765881-9.jpg

At least he didn't tattoo his face...

• Like 2

Grimmie, are you perhaps thinking of the Darwin fish-with-legs image? That's the closest I can think of a "universal" atheist symbol.

Edited by J. K.
  • Like 2

Grimmie, are you perhaps thinking of the Darwin fish-with-legs image? That's the closest I can think of a "universal" atheist symbol.

That would be a great example. And is that atheism, or science?

Aside from the Darwin fish, there's the stylized a made to look like the Star Trek badge. Sometimes it's incorporated into a atom symbol.

• Like 1

Not seeing how science = atheism

It is more like science = non-religious

• Like 1

Pretty much, science is seen as being the counter point to religion.

You also have the semi Mystic stuff from Sagan and some other science popularizer.

• Like 2

Aside from the Darwin fish, there's the stylized a made to look like the Star Trek badge. Sometimes it's incorporated into a atom symbol.

I guess what I am asking is what does that say about someone or how would people feel about that?

Interesting inquiry, I don't have any tattoos, not a one.

I don't know a lot of Athiests, the few I know do not have tattoos.

Hypothetically, if I was to get any tattoos in this genre as an atheist I'd go for ' Namaste' "the divine in me honors the divine in you." But only if I was walking the talk 24/7. Or 'Ahimsa', " Do No Harm."

And, I might go for something in the tarot card symbology, such as the hanged man only I'd change it to the hanged woman and use hearts in it a lot, while it typically is negative, for me it represents a dream I had and the dream was illuminating and growth producing in my day life.

This probably isn't much, but it is all I have at this point.

Edited by Sherapy

I'm not a big fan of tattoos, though I've thought about them. I'very been tossing around getting a TARDIS for awhile.

I used to wear a Humanist medal for awhile, like I said. Reason I switched to a trilobite was due to dissatisfaction with the local group.

I've always been more on the scientific/skeptic side more than atheism itself.

If there was a good symbol for skepticism I might get something representing it, a necklace or something.

I do know some people who do get more out there tattoos.

Heather Henderson, a musician and performer in LA and host of a few podcasts, has Ardent Atheist tattooed on her chest. This is the name of one of the podcasts she co-hosts and she feels it represents her.

I'd never do something like that myself, but I don't begrudge someone else doing it for themself.

Some people like to be a billboard for their ideas. Others prefer to keep ithe private.

I have a small sticker for CFI on my car, and I have a small fossil I wear around me neck.

I don't broadcast my views in public, but I'm willing to have that conversation if it comes up.

Someone like Heather Henderson is very public and outspoken about theIraq beliefs.

Edited by shadowsot
  • Like 2

That would be a great example. And is that atheism, or science?

I think I've seen it used in the context of both types of discussions here.