Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living out of our true image and likeness

markdohle

“Go out to others and share the good news that God, our Father,

walks at our side. He frees us from anonymity, from a life of

emptiness and selfishness, and brings us to the school

of encounter. He removes us from the fray of competition

and self-absorption, and he opens before us the path of peace.

That peace which is born of accepting others, that peace

which fills our hearts whenever we look upon those in need

as our brothers and sisters.”—Pope Francis

One day a woman asked me why she was always so happy when she helped someone, anyone, even in small matters. So we talked about being made in the image and likeness of God. If God is truly love that means that he is an infinite fountain of giving. When we minister to others out of love we become part of that loving stream, we are living out of our deepest selves; hence we become happier. That is true even when our reaching out to others encountering them in their everyday live can be frustrating and very arduous. We are often happy and don’t know it, until what we take for granted is lost.

Self seeking if it is extreme leads to grasping and isolation from others. The fruit of this is manipulation, the reducing of others and all of reality into a project of some sort for ones benefit; which in fact never works for long. It is a foretaste of hell, a place of complete separation from others and God that is embraced out of freedom.

To love and help others is like a flower opening up to the Sun, for it is grace that invites us to be aware of the needs of those around us and to help as much as we are able. If we cannot help in a material way, we can help by listening and supporting anyway we can.

Many downplay prayer. Yet in prayer we truly open our selves to grace and draw close in union with God. In prayer we embrace all as we are slowly healed from self absorption that leads to separation from others. We learn over time that our being the center is nothing but a powerful illusion. There is only one center. That center is the true north for all men and woman which is the will of God… wherein we are called to love our neighbor as ourselves and to love God with our whole being. In that we find our true selves, which is much greater than the self absorbed, fearful and anxious driven soul seeking to be its own axis and god.

• Like 1

So the ideal of love is represented in the concept of god. Thus 'god' become the avatar for an emotional need, what we call love, perhaps also kindness and compassion. So by doing 'gods' work we are fulfilling our own emotional needs. Correct?

• Like 1

So the ideal of love is represented in the concept of god. Thus 'god' become the avatar for an emotional need, what we call love, perhaps also kindness and compassion. So by doing 'gods' work we are fulfilling our own emotional needs. Correct?

Are you inferring to The Satanic Bible? Although the "Holy Bible" does seem to bear strong resemblances with The Satanic Bible on being your own "God".

2 Peter 1:19

We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

What, then, does it mean to be satanic? It means that you embrace the adversary within yourself.

I think it is deeper than that.....it is more than emotional, since emotions come and go. We are called to love those outside of our family, religion and country, to love our enemies. To do that it really does take a real death to self. Like forgiving 7 times 70 times a day. It points to a deeper greater humanity that was shown by Jesus Christ. I am still on the way.

Peace

Mark

I think it is deeper than that.....it is more than emotional, since emotions come and go. We are called to love those outside of our family, religion and country, to love our enemies. To do that it really does take a real death to self. Like forgiving 7 times 70 times a day. It points to a deeper greater humanity that was shown by Jesus Christ. I am still on the way.

Peace

Mark

It's a means of countering egocentric behavior. No longer focusing on the "I" but rather "US".

• Like 1

One day a woman asked me why she was always so happy when she helped someone, anyone, even in small matters. So we talked about being made in the image and likeness of God. If God is truly love that means that he is an infinite fountain of giving. When we minister to others out of love we become part of that loving stream, we are living out of our deepest selves; hence we become happier. That is true even when our reaching out to others encountering them in their everyday live can be frustrating and very arduous. We are often happy and don’t know it, until what we take for granted is lost.

Self seeking if it is extreme leads to grasping and isolation from others. The fruit of this is manipulation, the reducing of others and all of reality into a project of some sort for ones benefit; which in fact never works for long. It is a foretaste of hell, a place of complete separation from others and God that is embraced out of freedom.

To love and help others is like a flower opening up to the Sun, for it is grace that invites us to be aware of the needs of those around us and to help as much as we are able. If we cannot help in a material way, we can help by listening and supporting anyway we can.

Many downplay prayer. Yet in prayer we truly open our selves to grace and draw close in union with God. In prayer we embrace all as we are slowly healed from self absorption that leads to separation from others. We learn over time that our being the center is nothing but a powerful illusion. There is only one center. That center is the true north for all men and woman which is the will of God… wherein we are called to love our neighbor as ourselves and to love God with our whole being. In that we find our true selves, which is much greater than the self absorbed, fearful and anxious driven soul seeking to be its own axis and god.

Youre comparing Jesus Christ with people. Is that fair????????????? Jesus is God with supernatural power to give you happiness. Have you seen Jesus Christ??????????????????? Not many people have and you expect them to duplicate his ways.......................... you sound like a nice guy but I've never met a god like human being. if the image of God is what we see out there the majority is winning. not a pretty sight. The god of the OT said the image thing, not Jesus Christ of the NT. Jesus said

Matthew 5:48

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"...............................

What is god doing in heaven when his children is not doing so good? The apparition of the Virgin tells people about more more more punishments and scary future. Is that parenting??????????????????????????????????????? Jesus is the only good man. It's in the bible you know. the orthodoxy bible say man is sinful since Adam. not a good start. When Jesus was around he wasn't always a flower child. We cant be exactly be like God because we are created beings. The best we can do is copy the idyllic interpretation of what Jesus was like and hope for the best. be yourself and as honest. lying to yourself is the worse. We seen many holier than thou preachers caught with their pants down...........................................................................................

It's a means of countering egocentric behavior. No longer focusing on the "I" but rather "US".

In the Our Father there is no 'me' nor 'I' so yes I agree.

• Like 1

Youre comparing Jesus Christ with people. Is that fair????????????? Jesus is God with supernatural power to give you happiness. Have you seen Jesus Christ??????????????????? Not many people have and you expect them to duplicate his ways.......................... you sound like a nice guy but I've never met a god like human being. if the image of God is what we see out there the majority is winning. not a pretty sight. The god of the OT said the image thing, not Jesus Christ of the NT. Jesus said

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"...............................

What is god doing in heaven when his children is not doing so good? The apparition of the Virgin tells people about more more more punishments and scary future. Is that parenting??????????????????????????????????????? Jesus is the only good man. It's in the bible you know. the orthodoxy bible say man is sinful since Adam. not a good start. When Jesus was around he wasn't always a flower child. We cant be exactly be like God because we are created beings. The best we can do is copy the idyllic interpretation of what Jesus was like and hope for the best. be yourself and as honest. lying to yourself is the worse. We seen many holier than thou preachers caught with their pants down...........................................................................................

St. Paul stated what the greatest spiritual gift

13 If I speak in the tongues[

a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Jesus also said, whatever you do to the least you do to me, so yes we meet Christ Jesus in others and called to love all, To love our enemies. Is it done, no, but we grow into it by becoming more open to God's love and ready to let go, or to die to what keeps us from that.

I know that whatever I write will be interpreted by the reader, so I am not going to argue with you my friend.....however what you got out of it, or think what I was saying, was not my intent.

Thank you for your comment.

peace

mark

• Like 1

Perhaps it is that spark of our kinder selves that we must kindle. So that we can keep at bay our shadow self. Yet no matter how bright the flame may be, it always cast a shadow of equal strength.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is that spark of our kinder selves that we must kindle. So that we can keep at bay our shadow self. Yet no matter how bright the flame may be, it always cast a shadow of equal strength.

We are in a realm of choice and inner struggle.....that is what free will is about. Freedom is made one choice at a time.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

We are in a realm of choice and inner struggle.....that is what free will is about. Freedom is made one choice at a time.

Peace

mark

It is in those choices that create our lives. Even the most thoughtless act will care heavy weight as time marches one. Choose your words wisely and actions carefully. If kindness brings you joy, do so willingly with no expectation of reward. It is only us who carry the burden of our guilt.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

It is in those choices that create our lives. Even the most thoughtless act will care heavy weight as time marches one. Choose your words wisely and actions carefully. If kindness brings you joy, do so willingly with no expectation of reward. It is only us who carry the burden of our guilt.

Great point X, do things in sincerity, because it's right.

Be kind, give willingly, show compassion and love. Forever seek balance within yourselves. For no one know what lay at the end of our roads. So until then I feel it best that we better ourselves and our world until the last breath. I can hope that we leave it better than we found it. Perhaps the only immortality we might gain is a fading memory of who we were. I am that I am and your are who your are, nothing more or less. Be excellent to each other.

• Like 1

Be kind, give willingly, show compassion and love. Forever seek balance within yourselves. For no one know what lay at the end of our roads. So until then I feel it best that we better ourselves and our world until the last breath. I can hope that we leave it better than we found it. Perhaps the only immortality we might gain is a fading memory of who we were. I am that I am and your are who your are, nothing more or less. Be excellent to each other.

Simply beautiful.

This is about the gist of it X; I just try and be of service in ways that I see I can give and I love as much as I can. For me, life is an adventure an opportunity for growth and I have a lot of fun.

The god of the OT said the image thing, not Jesus Christ of the NT. Jesus said

What is god doing in heaven when his children is not doing so good?

The apparition of the Virgin tells people about more more more punishments and scary future. Is that parenting???????????????????????????????????????

Jesus is the only good man. It's in the bible you know.

The best we can do is copy the idyllic interpretation of what Jesus was like and hope for the best. be yourself and as honest. lying to yourself is the worse. We seen many holier than thou preachers caught with their pants down...........................................................................................

Our soul, the breath of life from God, is more than likely the reputable, "good" conscience in us all, but I totally agree that one has to be true to oneself. Besides, the Lord knows what is in one's heart anyway. You might find the following verse interesting because I think it points to our "good" conscience -- in an abstract way.

PSALM 121:5-8 "The Lord watches over you -the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm — he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."

This "spark" or "breath" is perhaps the one that whispers to us to lead a just life, but at the end of the day, it's up to us to follow or not since we have this free will. On the other hand, it sounds to me you're not big on the Old Testament.

Regarding "holy" apparitions and their doomsday predictions, you have to gather all the info about them, especially the Holy See's POV. The following verses may even help:

John 3:16-17 "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."

Mark 13:32-33 "But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come."

Just sharing. No judgment on my part.

Edited by Ehrman Pagels 1
  • Like 2

Jesus also said, whatever you do to the least you do to me, so yes we meet Christ Jesus in others and called to love all, To love our enemies. Is it done, no, but we grow into it by becoming more open to God's love and ready to let go, or to die to what keeps us from that.

Why did God create us??????????????????????? All I here is sin.......... dont do this ............obey and worship..............................................................................

Why didnt he create robots????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Catholics dont like this world its in the prayer.......................................................................................................

Is living a curse like gnostics say?

• Like 1

Why did God create us??????????????????????? All I here is sin.......... dont do this ............obey and worship..............................................................................

Why didnt he create robots????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Catholics dont like this world its in the prayer.......................................................................................................

Is living a curse like gnostics say?

Without free will, or the ability to choose there would be no humanity. Our choices create us, and yes suffering does to, though I don't like that part. I think life is beautiful and so are people. Yes we can fail big time, do awful things, yet we can heal and build and love and share......the fact that all or most people want to do the good and right thing points to God's spirit at work. If the universe was truly random and by chance, I doubt our sense of right and wrong would be so strong. Just look at the above replies, they are beautiful and heart felt and I believe point to the power of the Holy Spirit at work in all lives.

Life is short, it is a labor, we are in labor, and hopefully it leads to a bigger womb after this one.

Peace my friend

Mark

• Like 2

Why did god create Adam and Eve if He knew the story of mankind with problems and frustrated people coz of sin and no logic rules like monogamy ...............sexual lust?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

Why did god create Adam and Eve if He knew the story of mankind with problems and frustrated people coz of sin and no logic rules like monogamy ...............sexual lust?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I don't have all the answers, I am still asking them, however I don't allow that to limit my trust and love of God. When Jesus said we are to become childlike, I believe he meant that in this sense, or at least partly. That is that we don't understand each other and why we do the things we do, especially those in authority. The same goes with God, though on a more profound level, I believe that on in God can we truly give our trust in spite of our questions, fears etc. It is always a choice how we perceptive the world, though some choices are very diffiuclt and others are more like reactions. We should never that reality, for we do, we will sink.

peace

Mark

• Like 1

“Go out to others and share the good news that God, our Father,

walks at our side. He frees us from anonymity, from a life of

emptiness and selfishness, and brings us to the school

of encounter. He removes us from the fray of competition

and self-absorption, and he opens before us the path of peace.

That peace which is born of accepting others, that peace

which fills our hearts whenever we look upon those in need

as our brothers and sisters.”—Pope Francis

Not so sure of the source of your inspiration. The Pope?

The head of one of the most anti intellectual, intolerant, bigoted, culture erasing and power/wealth hungry organisations in our history. One well known for its continued preference for the spread of HIV in 3rd world populations rather than hurting god's feelings with common sense (god doesn't seem to care about them either), outdated ideas regarding one half of our population, bigotry towards gays, among many other things. So a flowery verse here or there doesn't mean much.

Acta non verba.

Which isn't a reflection of your own faith. If believing this allows you to be more compassionate and loving, that's great.

Edited by Horta

I believe I know where I am going, as a follower of Christ. However, I am not compassionate, loving and giving, like many would suggest to avoid being Judged, but I do it to be like Christ.

Those who believe Christians are good out of fear, only understand fear, not love.

You think youre better than those other christians. Your love is greater than the all. Geez................................................................................................................................................................................ People fear god because of hell. Youre not out of the woods yet.......................................................................................................................

You think youre better than those other christians. Your love is greater than the all. Geez................................................................................................................................................................................ People fear god because of hell. Youre not out of the woods yet.......................................................................................................................

No, I'm out of the woods.

Once you realize you are out of the woods, you can't be damned back into the woods. I realize I have nothing to fear of my Salvation. The worst that can happen is when I am standing face to face with Jesus, is that I have to apologize and ask for forgiveness for what I've done here on Earth that needs forgiving. I'm not so proud that I will not ask forgiveness. Or stubborn to believe that I am sinless, or commit no offenses. We are all human, and can never live up to the expectations of being perfect.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Not so sure of the source of your inspiration. The Pope?

The head of one of the most anti intellectual, intolerant, bigoted, culture erasing and power/wealth hungry organisations in our history. One well known for its continued preference for the spread of HIV in 3rd world populations rather than hurting god's feelings with common sense (god doesn't seem to care about them either), outdated ideas regarding one half of our population, bigotry towards gays, among many other things. So a flowery verse here or there doesn't mean much.

Acta non verba.

Which isn't a reflection of your own faith. If believing this allows you to be more compassionate and loving, that's great.

Thank you for responding. Perspective is everything and over the years I have learned that when they are extreme they can't be modified by the one having them. There are strong opinions about everything, black and white beliefs that just need to be accepted when they come from others.

There is much in the church that will always need conversion and change. This pope is working on that. There is also much good in the catholic church, more good than bad. I do not expect you to agree or to even study or read anything that would go contrary to what you have stated above.

Peace

Mark

Thank you for responding. Perspective is everything and over the years I have learned that when they are extreme they can't be modified by the one having them. There are strong opinions about everything, black and white beliefs that just need to be accepted when they come from others.

It would be easy to change my perspective. One gesture from the Pope to the people in the poorer parts of Africa could do that (though Islam is every bit as backwards). How 'bout yourself?

I will agree that at least one of us might be a little fanatical.

It only took a few intelligent words from the Dalai Lama and my opinion changed.

There is much in the church that will always need conversion and change.

Yes. At least they forgave Galileo a while back. Quite progressive.

What do you think about modern "exorcisms"? An ignorant superstitious based remnant of the middle ages, or helpful?

This pope is working on that.

No, he's not working on it actually. He is towing the line. So women can head modern western 1st world democracies, but can't be ordained. A consenting and loving relationship between gay adults is "intrinsically immoral" and against god's plan for his creation. It is better to help spread disease within certain populations that affect innocent people from birth as well as those who spread/contract it, rather than resort to the great evil of condoning certain contraceptive methods. Nothing seems to be changing..at least nothing which might show that they give a rat's @rse despite the flowery hypocrisy in the verses.

There is also much good in the catholic church, more good than bad. I do not expect you to agree or to even study or read anything that would go contrary to what you have stated above.

Peace

Mark

It is true that reading all of the catholic propaganda on earth won't change the fact that it is an outdated organisation and based on a delusion (it isn't alone there). Yet that isn't what this is about. Hence the acta non verba part. If you broadened your horizons a little you might begin to understand how and why populations suffer problems along with their faith. Xtian caritas based welfare has been a sociological failure. It looks like secularists will have to leave you in the middle ages while they work out why. In keeping with the rest of the post I don't find the "peace" remark very genuine.