Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poll to find first national bird for Britain

Still Waters

Currently Britain does not have a national bird, but ornithologist David Lindo believes that should change.

A shortlist of 10 birds has been chosen by online voters on his campaign's website from an original list of 60.

Mr Lindo will close the vote on the day of the general election, 7 May, and ask the new government to officially appoint the winner as national bird.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-31904842

• Like 1

Something that squawks a lot. jk. Some Meritime type of bird. A kyte perhaps.

• Like 1

HaHaHa LEO! :D

I was going to say the owl is cool but the puffin is so dang cute! I also think the blackbird would be a nice choice (always reminds me of the Beatles).

• Like 1

I thought the Swan was it already? Or is that the Queens official bird or something..

But (and call me a "stuffy duffer"), why do we need a National bird? How about a National fish, a National Reptile, Canine, Equine, Bacteria?

OK , ignore me, my luggage went missing at Dusseldorf on my way to Munich <_< <_<

• Like 1

I thought the Swan was it already? Or is that the Queens official bird or something..

Ahh... the delights of "Swan Upping". Only the Queen (or King) is allowed to eat this beast (plus invited guests). Try ignoring this and you will looking at your genitals in a pickling jar. :whistle:

I straight away thought Robin - lol at the poll starter trying to put us off the cheeky little birds that adorn our Christmas cards

and have to be the most tame (brave) in the garden, when it comes to being near us humans -

I love all the birds - blackbirds are very special with their incredible songs - but if we had the blackbird then it would be a male

bird that would be out national bird - the female is lovely but not as striking as the male with the black feathers and orange beak -

So the Robin has that going for it as well - the male and female being equally represented -

At the moment Robins, Wrens, Blue Tits and still the Blackbird are on my short list - from the shortlist

oh but Owls are lovely too -

I am also very into Starlings but they haven't made the shortlist - and what about the dear little chirpy Sparrow...?...the Buzzard...

and the Pigeon (Pigeons make me smile I think they are comical)

My actual favourite bird though is the Crow -

Not sure what I'm going to vote for yet ... :)

We all ready have the mute swan, so get your own bird. <_<

According to this list, the european robin (Nigel Farage won't like that !) is unofficially the national bird of the UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_birds

• Like 1

We all ready have the mute swan, so get your own bird. <_<

haha - you and your fellow Danes aren't very mute on this forum, though - so not sure if that bird is very suitable for you - :P

According to this list, the european robin (Nigel Farage won't like that !) is unofficially the national bird of the UK. http://en.wikipedia...._national_birds

Funny you should mention Nige because I almost added - I know what I'm voting in the General Election though -

And the leader of the flock is the Greater Spotted Nigel... :D

• Like 2

haha - you and your fellow Danes aren't very mute on this forum, though - so not sure if that bird is very suitable for you - :P

Funny you should mention Nige because I almost added - I know what I'm voting in the General Election though -

And the leader of the flock is the Greater Spotted Nigel... :D

As far as I know there are only three Danish members, besides me. There are probably many more, but those are the only ones I know and only one, apart from me, are particularly active here ! I am not saying who he is though. Maybe you all ready know ?

As far as I know there are only three Danish members, besides me. There are probably many more, but those are the only ones I know and only one, apart from me, are particularly active here ! I am not saying who he is though. Maybe you all ready know ?

Can't remember who the third/forth ones are, off hand - but another prominent one is - of course - roll on the drums -

the Bade Boy - - - B)

:D

Edited by bee

Can't remember who the third/forth ones are, off hand - but another prominent one is - of course - roll on the drums -

the Bade Boy - - - B)

:D

That was indeed the one I was thinking off. :tu:

I wasn't sure if you knew. As far as I remeber his profile doesn't say he is Danish.

Neither do mine, but if you think a little about it, there is only one country that fits the desciption. I guess I couldn't fool you ! I suppose it is obvious from my writing that I am not from an English speaking country, but I hope it isn't too bad. :P

That was indeed the one I was thinking off. :tu:

I wasn't sure if you knew. As far as I remeber his profile doesn't say he is Danish.

Neither do mine, but if you think a little about it, there is only one country that fits the desciption. I guess I couldn't fool you ! I suppose it is obvious from my writing that I am not from an English speaking country, but I hope it isn't too bad. :P

:tu:

Your English is second to none old bean - hunky dory - jolly spiffing - tickerty boo - bloody good - etc

In other words - excellent - and I would never have guessed you didn't have English as your first language

if I hadn't picked up on things you have mentioned occasionally and what you have on your avatar -

You sure you're not a British/American/Australian/Canadian man just residing in Denmark..? :D

Thank you. :blush:

I do use this site as a way to practice my English.

I do like the UK a lot and I have been there many times. The British are very like us Danes in many ways. Maybe it is from the times when we raped and pillaged your country. (Sorry about that. It wasn't me !)

• Like 3

Surely it should be the black bird?

Surely it should be the black bird?

But the Blackbird is American, isn't it ? :innocent:

Sr71_1.jpg

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

But the Blackbird is American, isn't it ? :innocent:

Sr71_1.jpg

A truly awsome piece of technology!

• Like 1

Not the swan, already taken by Denmark in a national poll.

GB should choose something ugly, small, that likes to rule the world, but keeps getting bullied by bigger birds.... :P:clap::tu:

Puffin i thought you would only see those in Scotland and arctic regions. I'll vote Robin and hopefully will retain the title

• Like 1

How about the spitfire. That was a 100 % British bird.

Still one of the most beautiful planes ever.

Ray_Flying_Legends_2005-1.jpg

• Like 3

Aviation puns aside i think the swan is a well suited majestic bird, and i belive it has some connection to the British royal family

Currently Britain does not have a national bird, but ornithologist David Lindo believes that should change.

A shortlist of 10 birds has been chosen by online voters on his campaign's website from an original list of 60.

Mr Lindo will close the vote on the day of the general election, 7 May, and ask the new government to officially appoint the winner as national bird.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-31904842

Where's the Falcon? or Sparrow Hawk?

Edited by RabidMongoose