Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens Are Enormous, Science Suggests

Still Waters

Aliens, if they exist, are likely huge. At least that's the conclusion of a new paper by cosmologist Fergus Simpson, who has estimated that the average weight of intelligent extraterrestrials would be 650 pounds (300 kilograms) or more. ET would have paled in comparison to these interstellar behemoths.

http://www.newsweek....suggests-319448

I also think any intelligent Aliens who have developed technology would be human-like in stature. We seem to be the most efficient construction for a technological-developing species.

• Like 4

Umm. I find this rather disturbing :passifier::cry: I've never thought of aliens as being *huge*...650 POUNDS?!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me? For some reason I find this a very scary thought :no:

Edited by She-ra

will it be a universal constant, that at some stage of evolution a super intelligent species will need hands and fingers and the 5 basic senses to allow them to make and create tools and machines and to utilise the elements of their planet

Is the humanoid type body the perfect most evolved machine for making use of what a planet has to offer, are we the perfect size? has evolution peaked with the humanoid figure??

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 2

Umm. I find this rather disturbing :passifier::cry: I've never thought of aliens as being *huge*...650 POUNDS?!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me? For some reason I find this a very scary thought :no:

http://dailypostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/davidsmith03.jpg

650 of the finest pounds!

Edited by Father Merrin

Nice :) I hope they invade...I'll feel much skinnier around them!

• Like 3

What if the aliens are not solid? Perhaps they are pure energy.

Any trekkies out there (I'm sure there are a few) will remember "The Survivors" from STNG

:alien:

• Like 1

What if the aliens are not solid? Perhaps they are pure energy.

Any trekkies out there (I'm sure there are a few) will remember "The Survivors" from STNG

:alien:

Or every other alien life form from the original ST.

xenobiology_by_abiogenisis.jpg
  • Like 1

However, that work, just like Simpson’s paper, is all speculation. Fun and fascinating stuff, but still speculation. “It’s interesting, but there’s really no concrete data to work with,” he says

Well, my study (just as much speculation and using all sorts of calculations based on a planet's size, distance from their sun(s) and all other guesses) states they will be tiny, as a tiny life is easier to sustain, food wise. So.. neener neener.

CITATION: None, really, I'm (I hope I am saying this right) foolin'.

Edited by RedSquirrel
  • Like 1

You haven't been to an "all you can eat" buffet lately have you. Wait, come to think of it, that is scary...

I think they could go from the size of a tiny microorganism and go right up to the size of a galaxy - like a super-massive intelligent space jellyfish, generating other life forms.

• Like 1

Poppycock! Marvin the Martian from Looney Toons is brilliant and tiny. I mean, I know he's shorter than Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny being a rabbit and a rabbit not being more than 2 feet tall...although, Bugs always seemed to be the same height as Elmer Fudd, which means Elmer was a tiny person or Bugs was a large rabbit.

Anyway, size is a matter of perception. I tend to believe that the universe is just a molecule under someone else's magnifying glass.

• Like 1

Wouldn't the size of aliens be determined by their environment? I'm not sure the science is correct in that article, though I only skimmed through it.

• Like 5

will it be a universal constant, that at some stage of evolution a super intelligent species will need hands and fingers and the 5 basic senses to allow them to make and create tools and machines and to utilise the elements of their planet

Is the humanoid type body the perfect most evolved machine for making use of what a planet has to offer, are we the perfect size? has evolution peaked with the humanoid figure??

I have a thread here in that vein, your input would be welcome, I see no reason why intelligent life would not be in an anthropomorphic design. It seems the most likely and best possible option. The mindset "different planet" makes people insists "different life" but when you break down evolution and what it has achieved with our pool of one and why, there is no reason to think life would alter radically from what we already see.

Evolution does not "peak" it continually adapts.

LINK - Anthropomorphic Aliens Thread.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Wouldn't the size of aliens be determined by their environment? I'm not sure the science is correct in that article, though I only skimmed through it.

I would say you are correct, he is making some very broad assumptions there.

• Like 2

I would like to Think that A Three Hundred Foot Tall E.T. Trying to Land on the White House Lawn, Is Going to mess up the Garden and we wont be seeing anymore Great Veggies on the POTUS`s Dinner table ! So Sad ! But on the Good side of Insane ! We wont Look so appetiteizing ! :tu:

• Like 3

I would like to Think that A Three Hundred Foot Tall E.T. Trying to Land on the White House Lawn, Is Going to mess up the Garden and we wont be seeing anymore Great Veggies on the POTUS`s Dinner table ! So Sad ! But on the Good side of Insane ! We wont Look so appetiteizing ! :tu:

Read a novel by William Tenn called Of Men And Monsters. It has your three hundred foot aliens--and they've colonized Earth, and humanity is the rats in their walls!
  • Like 1

650 pounds wouldn't fit in the metal ball that buzzed me.

Edited by Sweetpumper

300 kg really isn't that much bigger then a human. An average horse usually weights between 400 and 600 kg. So this alien would be in size between a human and a horse. And it is just me, but I'd not call a horse "enormous". Perhaps "big"? Or, "large"?

I was hoping there would be some rational explained, like maybe there are more larger then Earth sized worlds where a squat heavy being would be better off. But, to me his logic just seems to be speculation.

• Like 2

Who's to say that intelligence is based on writing literature and building radio towers? It's all relative. What we think of "Intelligence" is based on what modern humans assign it as. Personally I feel Earth's four-legged and winged inhabitants are more intelligent. Sapiens are destroying everything that got us here.

• Like 1

Who's to say that intelligence is based on writing literature and building radio towers? It's all relative. What we think of "Intelligence" is based on what modern humans assign it as. Personally I feel Earth's four-legged and winged inhabitants are more intelligent. Sapiens are destroying everything that got us here.

Oh boy... I guess if you think puking into your offspring's mouth instead of teaching them to use a fork is more intelligent, by all means go ahead. Let me know how long it takes for CPS to knock at your door.

• Like 2

We all know that an oft repeated assumption by science becomes an indisputable fact.

How soon it becomes a fact depends on what names are dropped with it.

• Like 1

Read a novel by William Tenn called Of Men And Monsters. It has your three hundred foot aliens--and they've colonized Earth, and humanity is the rats in their walls!

Yeah, one track mind.

I am hoping for............

Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg

• Like 3