Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

As A Christian, When Is It Ok to Fight/Kill?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16    Insaniac

Insaniac

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

I believe, using uncommon sense (and being a Christian) it's okay to kill to save anothers life, or even in self defence, but just retreat or knock your opponent unconscious if possible. It's better than killing.

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

#17    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostHasina, on 22 October 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

I've found that quote to be taken a little out of context, weird for me being an atheist defending a quote from the Bible. Here's a good summery of what I was told about that quote:
http://www.onenesspe...m/turncheek.htm

His interpretation is no different from what others take from it  - Turn the other cheek   - Try and resist hitting back... Don't defend yourself... Same if someone insulting you.. Do not try and retaliate... Walk away....

And we all know what usually happens when people do not defend themselves !

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#18    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 22 October 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

If "Christian" means following the teachings of Jesus, then the answer is never. Most Christians I know would say that "Christian" means you believe Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected for your sins, and what he said along the way is secondary. I read Hasina's link, but it seems to be ignoring the first part of the quote while explaining away the last part. Violence and killing are never the answer, according to what Jesus said in the Bible. Self defense is an animal instinct. Of course, in other parts of the Bible God orders his people to kill quite a bit, and not in self defence. Maybe Jesus was a rebellious son.  ; )

When Jesus was talking about not using violence, or in returning evil for evil, I believe he was talking about one on one.  For instance, in Roman times a solider had the right to demand that a man in occupied territory had to carry his pack for one mile.  Jesus said, carry it two.  If that is done, freely, something changes in the relationship.  Anything larger than one on one is different.  For instance the over used example about seeing a child harmed, or being beaten…. is it ok to use violence to end the situation.  I would say yes.  For not to help would cause greater evil; the destruction of an innocent life, or scarring and passing on the evil to yet another generation….   A man has no right to attack a child, he needs to be stopped.  Cycles of violence can only be stopped one person at a time.  Governments and armies or needed if they are used to defend the rights of others.  A Christian is not free to belong to an army that kills and rapes innocent men, women and children.  However after saying this I know there are other ways of looking at it.  Before anyone says anything, yes I know that Christian armies did rape and kill innocent people…..failure seems to be the norm in any life that demands a high ideal in how life is to be lived.  

#19    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

View Postand then, on 22 October 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

I am a self described Christian and I am often called a war monger for pointing out the logic of self defense in situations where to refrain would mean personal destruction.  So I wonder what you folks think the responsibility of a Christian is in this area?  Is it EVER acceptable?
The Christian Just War Theory answers this question and as a Christian you really should know about it and follow it.   Ron Paul has referred to JWT numerous times in debates with fellow Republicans trying to play the Christian card.   Understanding what the role of government ought to be as a real conservative, and applying Christian standards to problems like Just War Theory will at least honestly earn someone a badge like "Christian Conservative.   "  Most of the time, whenever I hear someone labeled as a "Christian Conservative" I find that they're neither Christian nor Conservative.

Follow a conservative foreign policy of non-intervention.  This means that we don't go around the world looking for trouble because when we go looking for trouble, we find that trouble comes looking for us.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#20    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

It is OK to fight only and if only they insult your mother or the Mother of Jesus. It is OK to kill only when your sargeant or higher commanding officer orders you.

#21    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm Christian, I have zero qualms about kicking somebody's ass if they willfully attempt to injure me, or anyone in my family.

#22    SoloCell

SoloCell

Government Agent

• 3,284 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

It is ok to fight or kill when it would be more evil not to do so.

#23    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm an atheist, I can kill anyone.....

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 23 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm Christian, I have zero qualms about kicking somebody's ass if they willfully attempt to injure me, or anyone in my family.

I salute you

#25    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I salute you

Thanks!  I think God will cut people a little slack in some circumstances, especially if it's legitimate self defense. How else could one go on to walk the walk and further help others if they ended up as a victim.  :yes:

Edited by WoIverine, 23 October 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#26    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

• Mercurian

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostWoIverine, on 23 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Whatever happened to "turn the other cheek" there Mr. christian? :innocent:

For the record, I'm a Luciferian and we believe in preemptive strikes! :devil:

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#27    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostEtu Malku, on 24 October 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Whatever happened to "turn the other cheek" there Mr. christian? :innocent:

He is a family man and will do what it takes to protect his loved ones.. I think he his right in doing so ..I would do the same, even if it meant I would have to die trying

#28    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

On my moms side of the family ,many of the men were career military men .One of them ,my uncle Jack,was devoutly religious .He worked in the church after he left the military ,and eventually became a Deacon I believe .
I actually asked him this question ,when I was a child .
He told me ,god could forgive us for even killing ,if it was our job ,or to protect . Like if you are a cop ,or in the military ,and you are sworn to protect life .
He obviously ,as a military man ,had to come to terms with this,on a personal level .I assume he spoke at length to his priest ,before ,during and after he served.
This is what he told me .

Miss me?

#29    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

• Mercurian

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 October 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

He is a family man and will do what it takes to protect his loved ones.. I think he his right in doing so ..I would do the same, even if it meant I would have to die trying
Family man or not, it is not a very Christian thing not to "turn the other cheek", which always makes me laugh about Christians and most other religions, they only use what is good for them and disregard the rest . . . so much for scripture!

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#30    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,353 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostEtu Malku, on 25 October 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Family man or not, it is not a very Christian thing not to "turn the other cheek", which always makes me laugh about Christians and most other religions, they only use what is good for them and disregard the rest . . . so much for scripture!
Sounds like you're throwing out the scripture because mankind follows it imperfectly.  But the truth for most is that they throw it out because they want nothing and no one to tell them anything.  So we have 7 billion souls doing a Frank Sinatra and the condition of the world proves that we actually NEED some direction.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users