Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

elves

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    LittleIrishVampiress

LittleIrishVampiress

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• What you seek above, sow below.

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Azael @ Jan 19 2004, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 18 2004, 11:48 PM)
And on a sidenote, whatever the heck Santa has, they're not elves...elves are a tall, athletic, handsome bunch, with a perchant for archery and swordsmanship...anyone say they're short, unusually camp, wearing bright colours, and ridiculously pointy shoes is asking to be bashed over the head with a nearby D&D source book tongue.gif

Fun Fact: The short elf came before the tall elf.

i wouldn't be too sure bout that. the legend of the tuatha de danaan go way way back. many were sposed to have come from the sea and still and webbed feet and hands tho they lived on the land. legend has it that they settled on ireland way b4 the first human settlers and that the tuatha de danaan were the children of the goddess danu. these elven folk were tall and slender with either golden blonde hair or jet black. prob where tolkien got his ideas grin2.gif

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ray Bradbury,  Zen in the Art of Writing

#32    Peter_Pan_is_real

Peter_Pan_is_real

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• I do believe in Faeries. I do. I do.

Posted 25 January 2004 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Azael @ Jan 19 2004, 12:12 AM)
Fun Fact: The short elf came before the tall elf.

no, hun. Shakespeare made Elves tiny little things. Before that they were humanesque. Elves are tall, graceful, beautiful, and waif like...end of story

#33    buggyelfmaiden

buggyelfmaiden

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

• Little Warrior Elfie of the Army of Bored.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 18 2004, 11:48 PM)
And on a sidenote, whatever the heck Santa has, they're not elves...elves are a tall, athletic, handsome bunch, with a perchant for archery and swordsmanship...anyone say they're short, unusually camp, wearing bright colours, and ridiculously pointy shoes is asking to be bashed over the head with a nearby D&D source book tongue.gif

Hm... not all elves are tall...  *Hides her Lobens (Pointy comfy winter boots that are made so the seams are on the outside *NO JOKE*)  and tosses all her green tunics and cute skin tight leathers in the closet along with the boots*

In the D&D books Elves are slightly smaller build than Man...

I know that's no way to base a theory.  But I was nicknamed elf back in school because of my slender build.  And I was the smallest kid in class, at least until I was in high school...

Giant's are the tall ones.  And I actually knew a guy that if the Elves breeding with Humans story is true...

He musta had Elf and Giant in him cause in sixth grade he was already 6 foot 7.  Though he couldn't play basketball to save his life, and he was really light.  Guess that's why he took up music instead of sports.

While short little me took up hobbies like tarot reading, Tai kwon do, and archery.  Still debating if I should take up something else that's useful... LIke herb lore... Keep me away from the catnip though... Makes me go all crazy like...

(Don't mind me... it's 3 am and I'm trying to stay awake long enough to finish watching Escaflowne then it's off to beddie bye)

Buggy and Toe's Random Thoughts My LJ

My website - Enjoy.

Here stands an Elfin warrior... Confuse her for a Keebler sprite and you'll be lucky to leave with limbs in place. - me acting silly in one of my various DnD rpg's

"It's religion.  It's not supposed to make sense." - Melanie Rawn The Ruins of Ambrai

#34    ambyglam

ambyglam

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• When in disgrace with fortunes and mens eyes,
    Be glam!

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

its all a bit anne rice  taltos, dwarves and witches!

ph34r.gif  

#35    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

I agree tongue.gif I just mean that I take elves to be tall compaired to these two foot nothing gnomes that you see in cartoons disgust.gif

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#36    Peter_Pan_is_real

Peter_Pan_is_real

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 26 2004, 04:49 PM)

D&D!!! You can't honestly base any belief on a board game! Seriously people, think about things before you say them

#37    swagger

swagger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:35 AM

lol d&d isn't really a board game, or atleast it doesn't have a board. but there was a d&d board game made a while ago but i think it failed........ tongue.gif

#38    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:24 AM

What's wrong with basing a picture of elves on D&D? tongue.gif When you think about it, D&D sources spent a great deal of time exploring the myths and legends of hundreds of different cultures to create the creatures that inhabit their worlds...there's no less reason to trust their portrayel of elves than there is to trust some ancient fairy tale wink2.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#39    Peter_Pan_is_real

Peter_Pan_is_real

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Jan 27 2004, 01:24 AM)
What's wrong with basing a picture of elves on D&D? tongue.gif When you think about it, D&D sources spent a great deal of time exploring the myths and legends of hundreds of different cultures to create the creatures that inhabit their worlds...there's no less reason to trust their portrayel of elves than there is to trust some ancient fairy tale wink2.gif

Yuck! Why would you want tiny little gross things when you can have Tolkien's Elves? Tolkien has the true Elves.

#40    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:03 AM

um...D&D's portrayel of elves is actually very much like Tolkein...he did, after all, give birth to modern fantasy tongue.gif If you remember, I'd already said I consider elves in that light anyway...Santa has gnomes I tells ya! Deformed Gnomes!

Posted Image

#41    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:16 AM

lalalalaaaaaa

....underpants gnomes.... whistling2.gif  

Posted Image

#42    Peter_Pan_is_real

Peter_Pan_is_real

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Xenojjin @ Jan 28 2004, 03:16 AM)
lalalalaaaaaa

....underpants gnomes.... whistling2.gif

hahaha. Underpants gnomes. I love it! South Park is great

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users