Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something Strange

IBelieveWhatIWant

Hey guys just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to stop something strange that has been happening to my Aunt lately.

She moved into a house with a guy she is seeing a couple months ago but as of late she has been experiencing what I believe to be poltergeist activity.

From what I've heard the first instance occurred about a week ago, her home phone rang(no caller ID, not even unknown or private) she answered to hear some breathing and then a voice on the other end say "Silly Mummy" or something to that effect. What she said is that it didn't sound like a child voice but I adult putting on a child voice.

Next occurrence was while she was driving her mobile went mad with the buzzing and ringing tones of calls, text and emails yet when she went to check her phone, nothing was appearing.

Now these first two occurrences she could rationally explain as a prank call and her phone messing up.

But no one in our family can find a rational explanation for this next one.

While in the bathroom her phone (roughly 3 feet away from her on the counter top) randomly spun and flew towards and hit her.

She doesn't believe in the paranormal at all nor does the man she is living with (he hasn't experienced any of this) but their dog has been a lot more anxious than normal lately.

So the common denominator that has been a phone, I think the "thing" is attached to her but I haven't heard of poltergeists doing that before.

Any ideas what it could be and what could to be done to make it leave.

New phone?

I believe she has had the phone for a while now.

Not sure on the phone home but I would assume that isn't new either

It is possible, with the phone thing, that the cord was wrapped around her foot or something without her realizing it and when she moved the phone followed.

With the phone calls..it most likely IS a prank caller. These days the so-called "Caller ID" is practically worthless as many can block it...also if you do not actually sign up for the service then it won't work. :P (I had to explain this to someone recently)

No, I meant to suggest that she get a new phone if this one is the source of her grief.

As far as the caller ID goes, I'm assuming by some of the words you used that you're in England, if they are as screwed up as the phone services are here in the states, you have two tiers of CallerID, one that normal people use, and one for business. The normal one is useless as people can pay to have their number blocked, the business class one will show something, even if the caller has blocked it, though it might not be very informative (usually it defaults to the state where the caller's area code is from). I have even heard of three tiered systems, but have yet to witness one in action.

Edited by Kahn

White candles and maybe burning some sage are common remedies.

It is possible, with the phone thing, that the cord was wrapped around her foot or something without her realizing it and when she moved the phone followed.

With the phone calls..it most likely IS a prank caller. These days the so-called "Caller ID" is practically worthless as many can block it...also if you do not actually sign up for the service then it won't work. :P (I had to explain this to someone recently)

It was a mobile phone, so there is no chance of it being wrapped around a cord seeing as she doesn't charge her phone in the bathroom

No, I meant to suggest that she get a new phone if this one is the source of her grief.

As far as the caller ID goes, I'm assuming by some of the words you used that you're in England, if they are as screwed up as the phone services are here in the states, you have two tiers of CallerID, one that normal people use, and one for business. The normal one is useless as people can pay to have their number blocked, the business class one will show something, even if the caller has blocked it, though it might not be very informative (usually it defaults to the state where the caller's area code is from). I have even heard of three tiered systems, but have yet to witness one in action.

I've been suggesting unplugging the home phone and turning off her mobile phone and placing it in her pocket so whatever it is can't "call" or move it, then see if anything else happens.

As for the caller ID I am in Australia, but the thing is that nothing at all showed up when the home phone rang, it was completely blank. from my experience I have never seen a Caller ID panel blank before when someone calls.

White candles and maybe burning some sage are common remedies.

Thanks for the info Talion

A couple of questions occur to me. 1) Was she in the bathroom alone?--or, better asked, did anyone else see the phone spin, fly and hit your aunt in the face? Or was it her report alone? 2) Her recent living situation with this guy, is it solid? Or is it possible your aunt is unhappy (unsafe?) there, and is establishing grounds for departure? Just as in medicine it is important to rule in/out the physical before going to psychological/psychiatric diagnoses--so, too, when considering the paranormal, the "normal" explanations need to be exhausted first.

Whether "normal" or "paranormal," it seems to be an unsafe situation for your aunt both physically and mentally. I wish her, and all of you, the best possible outcome.

A couple of questions occur to me. 1) Was she in the bathroom alone?--or, better asked, did anyone else see the phone spin, fly and hit your aunt in the face? Or was it her report alone? 2) Her recent living situation with this guy, is it solid? Or is it possible your aunt is unhappy (unsafe?) there, and is establishing grounds for departure? Just as in medicine it is important to rule in/out the physical before going to psychological/psychiatric diagnoses--so, too, when considering the paranormal, the "normal" explanations need to be exhausted first.

Whether "normal" or "paranormal," it seems to be an unsafe situation for your aunt both physically and mentally. I wish her, and all of you, the best possible outcome.

I can say these for certain, she was alone in the bathroom, the phone didn't hit her face, it just hit her.

I'm pretty sure she is happy with the guy she is living with and it is pretty solid from my perspective (she isn't the type that will let herself get pushed around).

She has no mental issues at all. The only other time she has experienced something paranormal is when she was living at the house I currently live in. While in bed she saw a white hand (like it was in a glove) in the top corner of her bed room doorway just doing a sort of 1 hand clap deal, she also once heard her name called from the top of the stairs while she was at the bottom with no one else in the house.

I definitely agree that all logical explanations should be considered first. Which is what she done with the phone call (considering it a prank) and the buzzing of the mobile in the car (waved it off as the phone messing up). But with the spinning phone then it flying off about 3 feet and hitting her, she can not find a reasonable explanation for it.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant

What is the sound of one white-gloved hand clapping?---just kidding. As for your aunt's situation, I mean no disrespect to her or the guy. It does sound as if she has previous paranormal experience, so did this latest come as a surprise to her? I'd be quite taken aback, to say he least, to have a cell phone fly through the air at me. If she "doesn't believe in the paranormal at all," in what way did she come to grips with the white-gloved hand and disembodied voice?

I should have asked more generally, in my previous post: Has anyone else viewed or heard these happenings with your aunt's phone? Right now it sounds like she is self-reporting, and I'm wondering if that was the case with the two previous experiences she had.

I'm sure you will receive more direct advice about rituals, cleansings, etc. from other UMers. I am of the opinion that the paranormal be approached only after the normal ways and means are assessed. I realize that others think differently.

I wish you well.

What is the sound of one white-gloved hand clapping?---just kidding. As for your aunt's situation, I mean no disrespect to her or the guy. It does sound as if she has previous paranormal experience, so did this latest come as a surprise to her? I'd be quite taken aback, to say he least, to have a cell phone fly through the air at me. If she "doesn't believe in the paranormal at all," in what way did she come to grips with the white-gloved hand and disembodied voice?

I should have asked more generally, in my previous post: Has anyone else viewed or heard these happenings with your aunt's phone? Right now it sounds like she is self-reporting, and I'm wondering if that was the case with the two previous experiences she had.

I'm sure you will receive more direct advice about rituals, cleansings, etc. from other UMers. I am of the opinion that the paranormal be approached only after the normal ways and means are assessed. I realize that others think differently.

I wish you well.

I'm sure she has all but forgotten about those experiences by now (I have a real gift for remembering useless information from the past :) ).

But she is currently self reporting because she has no actual evidence to back it up as of right now (I suggested setting up cameras just in case) and the person she is living with hasn't experienced anything at all and he doesn't believe in the paranormal either. But she isn't the type of person to make up stuff like this(guess that is taken with a grain of salt for people who don't know her lol).

There is also major history with the house she used to live in (one I currently live in) that seemingly very strongly ties to our family.

If you want I will be glad to share that story as well, but be warned it will be a couple of paragraphs long lol.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant

• 2 weeks later...

You say you believe it's some kind of poltergeist activity. Would you say that it is your aunt herself who causes it? If we assume that it originates from her own inner conflicts, these conflicts might have to do with

a) motherhood - because she was called "Mummy" in the phone call you mentioned. Does she have children?

b ) her recent relationship - has she been married before? Could it be that there's a guilty conscience involved?

c) her new house - was she perfectly ready to move or would she rather have stayed where she was?

I know I'm skipping the "Let's rule out the logical explanations first" part, but hey, it's a mystery forum. And I love speculating. ^^

Edited by Strigoaica

I guess it's fairly easy to be a skeptic about ghosts if one doesn't experience cell phones flying at you.

I guess it's fairly easy to be a skeptic about ghosts if one doesn't experience cell phones flying at you.

Oh, I've had cell phones fly at me, it's just usually at the hands of an ex-girlfriend.

• Like 1

Of course as with pretty much every such story we are expected to take this one at face value. We have no way of knowing if things happened as described or if at all.

Edited by sinewave

You say you believe it's some kind of poltergeist activity. Would you say that it is your aunt herself who causes it? If we assume that it originates from her own inner conflicts, these conflicts might have to do with

a) motherhood - because she was called "Mummy" in the phone call you mentioned. Does she have children?

b ) her recent relationship - has she been married before? Could it be that there's a guilty conscience involved?

c) her new house - was she perfectly ready to move or would she rather have stayed where she was?

I know I'm skipping the "Let's rule out the logical explanations first" part, but hey, it's a mystery forum. And I love speculating. ^^

She doesn't have any children but the guy she is living with does

She has never been married before

It is a new house to her but he has lived there for years.

But I think something might have attached itself to her because recently her uncle died and she went to the funeral so I suspect something there latched on and followed her home. So far I havent heard anything else about what has been happening so I think it may have stopped.