Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One in seven thinks end of world is coming

Still Waters

Nearly 15 percent of people worldwide believe the world will end during their lifetime and 10 percent think the Mayan calendar could signify it will happen in 2012, according to a new poll.

The end of the Mayan calendar, which spans about 5,125 years, on December 21, 2012 has sparked interpretations and suggestions that it marks the end of the world.

"Whether they think it will come to an end through the hands of God, or a natural disaster or a political event, whatever the reason, one in seven thinks the end of the world is coming," said Keren Gottfried, research manager at Ipsos Global Public Affairs which conducted the poll for Reuters.

http://www.reuters.c...E8400XH20120501

It is coming, every second brings it closer, when the sun swallows the earth.

• Like 2

And, yet, the vast majority of the world's population believes in a mythical sky-daddy.

• Like 1

Well I guess the Mayans wern't civilised enough to avoid extinction,so when we all wake up on Dec 22nd,and realise that its only 3 more shopping days to Xmas there will be a mass panic to go shopping before the deadline.

• Like 3

I don't think 'the world is going to end', but I do think there will be some sort of planetary, or cosmic event as we aline with the galactic plane of gravity.

I doubt the species will be eliminated, but I suspect all our little gizmos will no longer function. Our delicate and fragile society will be disrupted in a major way.

• Like 3

I don't think 'the world is going to end', but I do think there will be some sort of planetary, or cosmic event as we aline with the galactic plane of gravity.

I doubt the species will be eliminated, but I suspect all our little gizmos will no longer function. Our delicate and fragile society will be disrupted in a major way.

Why do you think that something is going to happen ?. It cant be because some semi illiterate guy eons ago,said so,I mean they were that good at predictions they forgot to predict the end of their existance.Its all a load of Moo Poo,the planets line up every few years and no one even notices except those that are into astronomy.Now if the Astronomers say a Huge Brick is coming our way I would start getting worried about which side of the planet its gonna hit and when .And then be on the other side when it arrives .cheers
  • Like 1

Of course the end of the world ios comming... everything comes to an end eventually... doubt that it will end in any of our lifetimes though.

I don't know how people can think that some cataclysmic event is seriously going to happen on Dec 21, 2012. I mean the 'Mayan' calendar isn't even that accurate of a calendar. I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.

Anyways, defining the 'end of the world' as the total loss or irreversible sequential demise of the human race, a natural cause would seem to be out of the question natural disaters always have signs leading up to them.

Meteor large enough to wipe out all life on the planet? While not as extensive nor effective as the NASA would like at the moment, there is a detection capablilty and something that big we would have seen already.

Super-volcano eruption? Way too many signs we would be seeing now if something like that was imminent.

Rogue black-hole? Again we would be seeing it effects already.

Plague? Sure, a possiblity to happen something that will most likely happen again, but there has never been a plague in the entire span of recorded human history that was capable of wiping us all out.

Zombies? I have my shotgun and baseball bat, not happening.

That leaves man-made, and those options are really limited. In fact, I can only think of the obvious one of nuclear war and the current geo-political clime doesn't exactly show that happening.

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals
  • Like 1

I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.
this is actually irrelivent since the mayan long count calender was not measuring years, it was measuring days (and if you are simply measuring how many days apart something is then there is no error).
  • Like 2

I do not think it is going to on a specific date....

I just hope it does happen, sooner than later.....This cancer on Earth needs to be treated all ready.

• Like 1

I don't know how people can think that some cataclysmic event is seriously going to happen on Dec 21, 2012. I mean the 'Mayan' calendar isn't even that accurate of a calendar. I think I read somewhere it had an error rate of 1 day for every 4 years. The Gregorian calendar was actually far better 1 day to 3000 years.

Anyways, defining the 'end of the world' as the total loss or irreversible sequential demise of the human race, a natural cause would seem to be out of the question natural disaters always have signs leading up to them.

Meteor large enough to wipe out all life on the planet? While not as extensive nor effective as the NASA would like at the moment, there is a detection capablilty and something that big we would have seen already.

Super-volcano eruption? Way too many signs we would be seeing now if something like that was imminent.

Rogue black-hole? Again we would be seeing it effects already.

Plague? Sure, a possiblity to happen something that will most likely happen again, but there has never been a plague in the entire span of recorded human history that was capable of wiping us all out.

Zombies? I have my shotgun and baseball bat, not happening.

That leaves man-made, and those options are really limited. In fact, I can only think of the obvious one of nuclear war and the current geo-political clime doesn't exactly show that happening.

I vote for Zombies.

• Like 1

I vote for Zombies.

ooooooohh zombies.. lets see.. i have frozen peas in freezer.. a few backs of tators and some turnips.. and some corn on the cob and butter...

yup.. I am ready for zombies!

(my wisdom tree is up to 438 right now too!)

ooooooohh zombies.. lets see.. i have frozen peas in freezer.. a few backs of tators and some turnips.. and some corn on the cob and butter...

yup.. I am ready for zombies!

(my wisdom tree is up to 438 right now too!)

Hi, Sounds like you're gonna have a Zombie cook in,are they the meat on the menu ? Ooh ! you forgot your baseball bat ! dont worry the gators will get them.I'll come and help you to Zap 'em with my shilaghly

And, yet, the vast majority of the world's population believes in a mythical sky-daddy.

Sky daddy lol. I learnt three terms today "sky daddy, fanta pants and stabby mcjabby"

Anyway I believe the world will end in terms of Humanitys end. The world might not explode but our existance is about to end. It may not be 2012 or my lie time. But there is noway we will make it another 1000 years like this. Earth started without man it wil end without man too.

xhmmmm... if zombies do come to eat our brains, ill be there with my baseball bat. (ive secretly always wanted to do that) like in shaun of the dead. xx

Wise-eth Waffle-eth. xx

Bring on the zombs, I've watched enough Death Valley, Walking Dead etc... to be prepared!

Don't forget people, DOUBLE TAP!!!

I agree, Sakari - I think that every day when I read the next gruesome piece of news. We suck.

Then, I see one thing that someone does that brings hope. Kind of.

Not sure anything can erase the brutality we inflict upon this planet and all its inhabitants.

I don't think the world is going to end this year, or within the next century. The Myans just ran out of stone or room to make more of the calender. However, I do think that the world will end eventually. I believe that all begins, and ends with nothing.

Belief in the Mayan calender is not fundamentally different from belief in the irrational fairy tales of accepted mainstream religions, so where is the beef here? Actually, since the percentage of atheists and agnostics is small, I would suggest that the percentage of believers in nutcase theories is probably in the 90 plus percent range.

We should stop that percent of the population from breeding...

Bring on the zombs, I've watched enough Death Valley, Walking Dead etc... to be prepared!

Don't forget people, DOUBLE TAP!!!

Too late, the Zombs have taken over.

Every Star Trek fan knows, "all good things must come to an end" Any day, any time, however it comes rock, gama ray burst or our own devices, I don't give it much thought.

• Like 1

What is all this talk of zombies?? I've been wondering for the longest time..

• Like 1

It looks like we have 15% of the worlds population are nutcases/headbangers, I hope when you read this that YOU aren't one of them...The latest figures from Eminent Astronomers is that the world will give up the ghost when the sun goes supernova in about 5,000,000,000 years time barring catastrophic accidents from ;-rogue comets,. or asteroids,or HUMAN intervention,the 3rd one being the most likely,see ya all in 4,999,999,999 years time..as I want to be there to see what happens...yeehaa

I do not think the world is going to end, but it is very clear that the world as the current living generation was taught to think about it is ending.

People use historical references to understand in which direction they are headed and when there is a lack of those references they feel disoriented and confused. At that point many look around them to see if there are others who feel the same and they tend to believe what those others have to tell them since they are able to relate to them.

• Like 2