Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Iran sends monkey into space

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

This is not some monkey strapped in a scud (the modern equivalent of the V2). Iran poses multi-stage rockets. They have launched satellites. The flight of this monkey shows that they can launch and accurately land a capsule. Now for "land" read "target" and for "capsule" read "warhead".

That would be a catch and retreive model. Not accurate. More akin to a scud then ICBM. We used the same method in our early space program.

I stand by my statement that no single missile poses a threat to the USA launched from Iran.

http://en.wikipedia....missile_defense

#47    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

sorry guys not ruining the results or etc.its just a waste of money and time in my opinion to send a monkey to space!!!although the only good thing about this is that its good for a laugh.

#48    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,733 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostKing Cobra 1408, on 31 January 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

a monkey???send a person to space to explore the "Dark side' of the moon INSTEAD!worthless in my opinion and awaste of time and money
It is a good thing that your opinion counts for nothing then.

There is no such thing as the "dark side" of the moon. There is a "far side" but that receives just as much light as the near side.

As for the "worthlessness" of launching a monkey then you seem to be ignorant of the history of space flight. Such suborbital flights using animals (the Soviets preferred to use dogs rather than monkeys) were made by both the Soviet Union and the USA early in their space programme. Such flights were essential in learning about such things as life support systems. It was such experimental flights that led to both of those nations having successful manned space programmes.

Iran has stated that it wants to launch a man into space by 2020. As such this flight was a logical and ESSENTIAL step in that direction.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#49    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Waspie man, where is all this hatred coming from why are you so afraid that Iran would launch a missile towards US? It would get shot down anyway, with their primitive technology and your ABM system. Even if they would launch it , it would get shot down, and China would be very frustrated at Iran, so would be Russia and Iran could loose both of them as firm ally, they would remain buyers.. but i think alliance wouldnt work as it works right now.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#50    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,733 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostTesla II, on 31 January 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Waspie man, where is all this hatred coming from why are you so afraid that Iran would launch a missile towards US? It would get shot down anyway, with their primitive technology and your ABM system.
There is no hatred coming from me. At no point have I said that Iran "would" launch an attack, I have simply pointed out that they are developing the capability to do so. I have deliberately kept my political views out of this and pointed out the technological implications of Iran's research. If you open both of your eyes and read all of what I have posted you will also see that I have defended this flight from a scientific point of view from those that have called it a waste of time and money.

To point out that Iran has the capability to produce medium and long range missiles is not an attack on Iran, it is a statement of fact.

Oh, and for your information I'm British, I don't think we have an ABM system.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#51    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ok so let me re-state, you speculated that Iran could possibly develop nuclear warheads and they have capability to land a missile strike on US soil, which isnt true i already said that .. US has 4 aegis destroyers anchored off the coast of Spain, it has 1 same class destroyer in the sea off the coast of Syria for those i know... there is ABM system bordering Europe. So Missile launched from Iran would never hit US.. no real chance.. i dont see how..for that matter US didnt forget their closest ally UK.. you are well protected versus missile attacks on your soil too.

Iran isnt led by a stupid president... they are already making pressure from so called " soft attack " via oil prices/export. US and Isreal are putting military pressure on Iran, which didnt do anything wrong so far.. yes they maybe dont have proper process for Uranium enrichment, but that is not an american problem..
I support their space program, why not? There is no proof they will launch any attacks, that would be highly irrational..They know missile would never go across sea and i can only speculate on saying maybe it wont even hit Isreal...

Even if they have couple of warheads so what? So far history has shown us who might be the REAL threat and that is US...not Iran with couple of missiles if they even have any or developing any.. But with stupid moves like Israeli attack on Syria which was clear provocation, and pure idiocracy whole hell is about to get loose...

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#52    Joe2112

Joe2112

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 28 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I thought they should have launched their leader into space.

They just did. :w00t:

Mmmmmmm....forbidden donut.

#53    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

That was taking a risk with a valuable primate. They should have launched an Iranian first to make sure it was safe!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#54    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,231 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Why don't they sign a technology sharing deal with N. Korea? I'm sure Iran could find plenty of empty oil barrels to weld together to make a decent rocket, and NK could scrape together enough dried cow dung to make a decent solid fuel. it'd save them so much money that they could spend on belligerent bluster.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#55    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,733 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostTesla II, on 01 February 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Ok so let me re-state, you speculated that Iran could possibly develop nuclear warheads and they have capability to land a missile strike on US soil, which isnt true i already said that ..
I asked you to open both eyes and read what I actually said. You haven't done that. Instead you have totally misrepresented what I have said. You can re-state as much as you like, but a lie is a lie however you phrase it.

Maybe you aren't being deliberately dishonest, maybe you just have problems with basic comprehension, so I'll repeat what I actually said:

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 31 January 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Whilst it is true that the Iranians do not yet have the capability to launch an attack on the USA, with the rapid development of their launcher capabilities that can not be guaranteed for ever.
Please explain which part of the text that I have highlighted you failed to understand.

Notice the use of the word "capability. At no point did I say, or imply, desire.

Also note that this was a reply to AsteroidX who had made this statement:

View PostAsteroidX, on 29 January 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Physically a missile launched from Iran will not hit American soil. Fact.
AsteroidX has a habit of making claims about space and astronomy which are incorrect, this was no different. I was pointing out that it was physically possible to hit the US from Iran. Hence the reason I said this:

A sufficiently powerful rocket can launch a warhead to any point on the Earth's surface.

And this:

So there is no physical reason why the US can not be hit by a missile fired from ANYWHERE on Earth.
Once again I made my comments as neutral as possible to avoid taking sides. All along I have spoken of Iranian capabilities, I have not taken a stance on whether they should or should not develop them.

Even my one pronouncement on the nuclear situation in the Middle East was deliberately neutral. I said:

The Middle East is a problematic region at the best of times. With sworn enemies possessing nuclear weapons the potential for a huge tragedy on a global scale can only increase.
Again, I have not taken sides, I have simply stated a self-evident truth.

I have kept my politics out of this. You have no idea what my views on Iran, Israel or the Middle East are. You have leapt to conclusions based on YOUR views and prejudices, NOT mine.

Posted Image
Click on button

#56    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

@Waspie. Im  gonna respond to your comment to me and say that I linked our ABM system which I believe to be adequate today.

AsteroidX has a habit of making claims about space and astronomy which are incorrect, this was no different. I was pointing out that it was physically possible to hit the US from Iran. Hence the reason I said this:

That was your claim I countered it. Nothing more nothing less. I barely have a habit of posting about space and astronomy and if Im incorrect then im likely looking for more information to educate myself not Mein Kampf the topic.

#57    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,792 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Iran's ballistic missile program is alarming due to their rhetoric.  They have had as part of their reason for existence the right and the obligation to spread their Islamic revolution (read -Caliphate) around the globe.  Regardless of misdirection by semantics games they have spoken of destroying another UN country and are furiously working on nuclear technology and fuel to have the ability to assemble a nuke on demand.  If anything, publicizing the live animal nature of the launch was probably to mask it's true intent and make it seem like the next step in a real space program.  Interesting article out today -   http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1253425

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#58    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,144 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

and then is correct,ITs all a shell game in our world today. Waspie`s right too of coarse.One knows not what goes on in the grey matter of all our members. Its way better this way !
I wont have to come to your house at night and re-program your grey matter,See how Simple ? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#59    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 7,334 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postealdwita, on 01 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

That was taking a risk with a valuable primate. They should have launched an Iranian first to make sure it was safe!

A risk? Either it never happened or the monkey died, because news says this;

Question marks raised after heroic astronaut looks remarkably different than the one which made lift off...

http://www.dailymail...#axzz2JjsnyVokA

and

Iranian official: Photo of monkey sent to space shows wrong primate

http://www.haaretz.c...rimate-1.500978

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#60    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,231 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

They'd never fake it, surely!  They'll be saying next that they've faked a super stealth fighter that will make the world quake in its boots!

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users