Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada asked the United States not to send

Thanato

Letter shows Canada asked U.S. not to send Khadr to Guantanamo

Canada asked the United States not to send former child soldier Omar Khadr to Guantanamo after he was captured in Afghanistan in 2002, according to a letter released Thursday.

In the document dated September 2002, Ottawa argued that the prison camp in Cuba was an "inappropriate" place for Khadr, a Canadian citizen, because he was just 15 years old at the time.

The letter was submitted in court filings by defence lawyers who have urged the Canadian government to demand Khadr's return from Guantanamo Bay, where he is expected to face a military trial by this summer on charges of killing a U.S. soldier.

"It's certainly shocking as we sit here today that Canada is the last western country to tolerate the detention of one of its citizens at Guantanamo Bay," said navy Lt.-Cmdr. William Kuebler, Khadr's Pentagon-appointed lawyer. He has argued that his client cannot receive a fair trial at Guantanamo.

Canada's government has faced pressure to ask for Khadr's transfer, but the Foreign Affairs Department said it would be premature to intervene as long as he is facing charges.

The letter from the Canadian Embassy in Washington to the State Department was dated Sept. 13, 2002, during Khadr's detention at a U.S. military prison in Bagram, Afghanistan. The al-Qaeda suspect had been captured two months earlier during a firefight in which he allegedly hurled a grenade that killed Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer. He arrived at Guantanamo in October 2002.

The letter notes that the U.S. and Canada have laws providing for special treatment of young suspects.

"As such, the Government of Canada believes it would be inappropriate for Mr. Omar Khadr to be transferred to the detention facilities at the American naval base at Guantanamo Bay," the letter said.

The letter also expressed concern over "ambiguity" in early accounts of Khadr's role in the events leading up to his capture. A section that apparently describes the conflict was edited.

Khadr's lawyers are seeking access to additional diplomatic correspondence between Canada and the United States in search of evidence that could help exonerate him. They argue that no witness saw Khadr throw the grenade.

Khadr, the son of an Egyptian-born alleged al-Qaeda financier, is expected to be the first or second detainee to face a U.S. war-crimes tribunal since the Second World War. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted on charges including murder, conspiracy and supporting terrorism.

The U.S. military says it plans to charge about 80 of the roughly 275 detainees at Guantanamo, but so far no case has gone to trial.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• InHuman

• Thanato

• Bill Hill

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the soldiers who were there at the event have admitted there were enemy insurgents in the area, and khadr is most likley inoccent.

Who cares what Canada says, I want to see this in court and what the evidence shows.

Who cares what Canada says, I want to see this in court and what the evidence shows.

Actually it does matter, he's one of ours, if Canada abducted at 15 year old American in a forigen country and held him without trial then you guys would be angry aswell...

Actually it does matter, he's one of ours, if Canada abducted at 15 year old American in a forigen country and held him without trial then you guys would be angry aswell...

He will get a trial

As an enemy soldier, he's been treated nicely... He was captured in a warzone after he was wounded and now will stand trial for his part as an islamic terrorist soldier. He should consider himself lucky, the taliban in Afghanistan had to put out a public message to stop their soldiers from taking the young boys into their tents for some islamic loving and we saved him from that. :lol:

Here's a good pic of the "kid"...

linked-image

Warm and friendly feel to it, don't you all think so? :)

Here's another great pic...

linked-image

What kid doesn't play with explosives to use against the infidels? :)

The little punk represents nothing for what Canada stands for. I don't know why they bother with him in the first place.

Edited by __Kratos__

As an enemy soldier, he's been treated nicely... He was captured in a warzone after he was wounded and now will stand trial for his part as an islamic terrorist soldier. He should consider himself lucky, the taliban in Afghanistan had to put out a public message to stop their soldiers from taking the young boys into their tents for some islamic loving and we saved him from that. :lol:

:lol:

The little punk represents nothing for what Canada stands for. I don't know why they bother with him in the first place.

Too right.

Our Gov kicked up a stink about the UK citizens at Guantanamo... and I use 'Uk Citizens' in the loosest terms possible...

Even the soldiers who were there at the event have admitted there were enemy insurgents in the area, and khadr is most likley inoccent.

yeah innocent... He just picked the wrong time to holiday in Afghanistan.

I think the Hotel was closed for renovations.:P

I really could care less about this, but i see another wanabe closet Canadian. You don't care about what anyone or any country has to say about anything until it conforms to your thought process.

Yes let's let the courts decide and not some yaahoo American with his anti Canadian views take it and put a spin on it !! So typical....

HE was raised with that in his head and because of that we should not lock him away and throw away the key.

~Thanato

Extradite him back to Canada and let them deal with him.

HE was raised with that in his head and because of that we should not lock him away and throw away the key.

~Thanato

And why not? Most of those religious nutjobs over there have been raised with it in their heads. Are you also in support of giving them all a free pass to commit terrorism or just Canadian citizens?

Edited by __Kratos__

Anyone who is going to actively seak or commit harm against the Canadian people should be arrested and charged. Anyone who is following through with anything that will commit harm against the Canadian People or Government will take two in the chest and one in the head.

~Thanato

He will get a trial

Yeah, but you'd be suprised what it took..

Yeah, I feel ya. It took Australia about 5 years just to convince the U.S of the POSSIBILITY of trialling some of our citizens in Guantanamo. I'd like to see America's reaction if an ally held one of THEIRS for years without any plans for a trial. When one of theirs was caught in Afghanistan they gave him a trial straight away.

Edited by Ins0mniac

Yeah, I feel ya. It took Australia about 5 years just to convince the U.S of the POSSIBILITY of trialling some of our citizens in Guantanamo. I'd like to see America's reaction if an ally held one of THEIRS for years without any plans for a trial. When one of theirs was caught in Afghanistan they gave him a trial straight away.

Theirs? we (UK) didn't want them back, they still came back though... :hmm:

I really could care less about this, but i see another wanabe closet Canadian. You don't care about what anyone or any country has to say about anything until it conforms to your thought process.

Yes let's let the courts decide and not some yaahoo American with his anti Canadian views take it and put a spin on it !! So typical....

Whats wrong with just bringing this to the courts and letting a jury to decide?? the CBC come out with this anti American spin article and I'm an anti Canadian for wanting this to go to the courts?? all I care about is the dead American solder, it seems like the CBC only cares about is Canada and the fact that America is holding one of its own.

Their will be a trial, I'm sure thier are nations holding Americans without any plans for a trial