Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top Drunk Driving States in the U.S.

IronGhost

Minnesota has one of the nation's worst drunken driving rates, said a government report that says 15 percent of adult drivers nationally report driving under the influence of alcohol in the previous year. Here are the states with the worst records:

1. Wisconsin, 26.4 percent

2. North Dakota, 26.4 percent

3. Minnesota, 23.5 percent

4. Nebraska, 22.9 percent

5. South Dakota, 21.6 percent

In Minnesota, the trend coincides with a record number of arrests -- 41,951 -- of impaired drivers in 2006, said the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Who are the real leaders? Utah had the lowest rate with 9.5 percent of adult motorists reporting driving under the influence. Following closely behind were a slew of southern states that often fare poorly when it comes to government health statistics. This time, however, they're serving as models. West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky and North Carolina all had drunken driving rates for the prior year of less than 11 percent.

http://www.startribune.com/local/18028674.html

It's interesting that the top five are all neighbor states in the upper Midwest.

Hey, Wisconsin -- eat more cheese, drink less beer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Relle

• muddpuppy

• __Kratos__

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOOOOOOOOOOAAAHHHHH YYYYEEEAAAAHHHH! Wisconsin Wins! :D

Oh. :ph34r:

Pfft, you try eating cheese when it's 72 out and the sun is blazing on you. I just got back in and I have a nice cold beer here :wub:

It's colder up North. Therefore anti-freeze is more popular. I know being snowed in would be more tolerable with anti-freeze. :D

I think the information is skewered. A lot of Wisconsin motorist probably don't even drink -- it's just that they appear drunk all the time.

I should say, though, I went to college in Winona, Minnesota, which borders on Wisconsin, and I had this friend from Wisconsin who drank heavy amounts -- but that was only because he was depressed after he lost his job at a Wisconsin ice cube factory. What happened was, the factory lost its recipe.

I also knew this other guy from Wisconsin whom everybody hated -- the reason was that when he drove around town, he would never wave back at at other motorists when they waved at him.

But what they didn't realize is that he only had one arm. So he drank a lot because of this.

He also had a very hard time eating pickles, but that had nothing to do with having only one arm -- the problem was, he could not fit his head inside the jar. So the people of Wisconsin face a lot of challenges, which probably causes them to drink.

New law, never drink anywhere that you don't plan to sleep.

Wisconsin is a state with a high percentage of people of German decent. Germans make the worlds best beer. Anyone else see a connection? Being part German myself, I see it.

72 degrees outside? That's like December in Georgi! LOL!

I think the information is skewered. A lot of Wisconsin motorist probably don't even drink -- it's just that they appear drunk all the time.

I should say, though, I went to college in Winona, Minnesota, which borders on Wisconsin, and I had this friend from Wisconsin who drank heavy amounts -- but that was only because he was depressed after he lost his job at a Wisconsin ice cube factory. What happened was, the factory lost its recipe.

I also knew this other guy from Wisconsin whom everybody hated -- the reason was that when he drove around town, he would never wave back at at other motorists when they waved at him.

But what they didn't realize is that he only had one arm. So he drank a lot because of this.

He also had a very hard time eating pickles, but that had nothing to do with having only one arm -- the problem was, he could not fit his head inside the jar. So the people of Wisconsin face a lot of challenges, which probably causes them to drink.

:lol::rofl: What a vicious cycle...

New law, never drink anywhere that you don't plan to sleep.

Wisconsin is a state with a high percentage of people of German decent. Germans make the worlds best beer. Anyone else see a connection? Being part German myself, I see it.

72 degrees outside? That's like December in Georgi! LOL!

Yay! Another georgia boy like myself :) Here in Ga. were smarter than that, we ride our 4 wheelers thru the woods with coolers strapped to the racks, full of beer :) Hard to get a D.U.I.(driving under the influence) on a 4 wheeler trail :tu:

As far as the weather goes, try 97 degrees with 98% humidity in the summers, its murder! :wacko:

Edited by muddpuppy

Notice that the top two are actually a tie -- North Dakota is tied with Wisconsin.

Minnesota is wedged in between these two, which is why Minnesota is so windly all the time -- Wisconsin blows, and North Dakota sucks.

I'm not sure I believe the data about North Dakota for one very simple reason -- no one lives there. No one knows where North Dakota is, no one cares where North Dakota is, and the last two people ever to report news from North Dakota were Lewis and Clark.

Okay, technically, my dad was from North Dakota, and the first girlfriend I ever had was from Minot, North Dakota -- but this is hardly saying anything.

The reason I got a date with a girl from North Dakota is that I had the perfect pick-up line for women there, which is:

"Hey! Get in the truck!"

I remember a couple of years ago when North Dakota was considering changing its name to "Dakota." A PR marketing firm said the "North" made the state sound like a back woods hick-wad place -- which it is, of course.

But then, eveyone starting calling North Dakota "Just Dakota" and the idea had to be dropped. This probably led to a lot of drunk driving.

Dude, I've been to Wisconson. Green Bay in fact. There isn't anything else to do but eat cheese, drink beer and watch The Pack. And that stuff you Americans pass off as beer really sucks! Give me a cold Molson Canadian any day! ;)

Notice that the top two are actually a tie -- North Dakota is tied with Wisconsin.

Minnesota is wedged in between these two, which is why Minnesota is so windly all the time -- Wisconsin blows, and North Dakota sucks.

I'm not sure I believe the data about North Dakota for one very simple reason -- no one lives there. No one knows where North Dakota is, no one cares where North Dakota is, and the last two people ever to report news from North Dakota were Lewis and Clark.

Okay, technically, my dad was from North Dakota, and the first girlfriend I ever had was from Minot, North Dakota -- but this is hardly saying anything.

The reason I got a date with a girl from North Dakota is that I had the perfect pick-up line for women there, which is:

"Hey! Get in the truck!"

I remember a couple of years ago when North Dakota was considering changing its name to "Dakota." A PR marketing firm said the "North" made the state sound like a back woods hick-wad place -- which it is, of course.

But then, eveyone starting calling North Dakota "Just Dakota" and the idea had to be dropped. This probably led to a lot of drunk driving.

We have the same quote up here. Why is Manitoba so windy? Because the Argos blow and the Riders suck. (In reference to our CFL teams)

Dude, I've been to Wisconson. Green Bay in fact. There isn't anything else to do but eat cheese, drink beer and watch The Pack. And that stuff you Americans pass off as beer really sucks! Give me a cold Molson Canadian any day! ;)

Yeah, I hear you, man. One time I had a layover in a bus station in the fabulous city of Racine, Wisconsin -- I was there for 6 hours -- let me tell you, the only way to survive 6 hours in Racine, Wisconsin, is to get totaly loaded, and stay loaded.

Why do all of the trees in Georgia lean slightly to the west? Because Alabama sucks :lol:

Yeah, I hear you, man. One time I had a layover in a bus station in the fabulous city of Racine, Wisconsin -- I was there for 6 hours -- let me tell you, the only way to survive 6 hours in Racine, Wisconsin, is to get totaly loaded, and stay loaded.

My husband is a Cheesehead. Bleeds cheese. So we've made the pilgrimage to Green Bay twice now and going back again in September. I hate football with a passion. I'm a good Canadian girl. I like my hockey. Anyway, I spend most of my time in GB in a drunken stupor. Let me tell ya, Wal-Mart at 2:00am p***ed drunk is great fun!

We have the same quote up here. Why is Manitoba so windy? Because the Argos blow and the Riders suck. (In reference to our CFL teams)

Yeah -- I live only 20 miles from Manitoba here in northern Minnesota. Give me a cold Molson any day over that dish water Old Milwaukee.

I like Manitoba -- I'm sure you are aware that Manitoba is the Garter Snake capitol of the world --- I'm ot making that up. Man, they realy have snakes up there.

Also, there is this teeny-tiny twon just a few miles into Manitoba called Piney. And guess what --- they have a nudist colony there! I'm not making that up.

I mean, I'm telling you, I can't think of a worse place for a nudist colony than Piney. It's 30-below-zero all winter, and nothing but mosquitoes and woodticks all summer.

Edited by IronGhost

That's what I'm talkin bout :tu:

My state didn't make it. XD *Hails her state*

I heard about this yesterday. I wish people would stop drinking & driving.

You know when someone is killed by a drunk driver. That person is "sorry" for causing that death. Then why did you drink & drive in the first place?!

Not only is Manitoba a great province, but they just love their nudist colonies up there. Let's face it, if you want to be a nudist in Manitoba, you have to be tough.

Go here to learn more about nudism in Manitoba:

http://www.nudist-resorts.org/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3887

Okay, what does this have to do with drunk driving stats in the Upper Midwest? Well, everything, if you think about it. You can get wasted in Minnesota and North Dakota, take a wrong turn, and end up in a nudist colony in Manitoba. I know it happens.

Edited by IronGhost

Yeah -- I live only 20 miles from Manitoba here in northern Minnesota. Give me a cold Molson any day over that dish water Old Milwaukee.

I like Manitoba -- I'm sure you are aware that Manitoba is the Garter Snake capitol of the world --- I'm ot making that up. Man, they realy have snakes up there.

Also, there is this teeny-tiny twon just a few miles into Manitoba called Piney. And guess what --- they have a nudist colony there! I'm not making that up.

I mean, I'm telling you, I can't think of a worse place for a nudist colony than Piney. It's 30-below-zero all winter, and nothing but mosquitoes and woodticks all summer.

And THAT is why they need to make 'Deep Woods Nudist Colony OFF' :D

Hooha - Manitoba Moose is playing Syracuse Crunch in the playoffs... could break a record this Friday for the most overtimes in one playoff series. One heluva series so far. :D

(edit - forgot why I was posting here on this forum)

Forgot to say that it's pretty scary when you consider this statistic - For every one time a drunk driver has been caught, he/she has (on the average) driven drunk 80 other times and NOT gotten popped by the man. :o

Edited by BiffSplitkins

You know when someone is killed by a drunk driver. That person is "sorry" for causing that death. Then why did you drink & drive in the first place?!

Beause they were from Wisconsin?

:angry2: They should have included Texas, and especially San Antonio.Here on the news these past few weeks,we have had all kinds of stories of drunk drivers. In one a man and boy crashed into another car.A woman was killed,and the boy and other passengers hurt. Then a guy and his wife were driving home when hubby went around a corner too fast,so now both are in the hospital,there are other cases too.Just go to WOAI,KSAT12,or KENS5,also called MYSA,and look at all the news stories on these stupid drunks.

Yep, snake pits. In the spring there are thousands of them out there. Never been, don't want to. Just looking at pictures makes me queesy!

Narcisse Snake Pits

IronGhost-I'm in Winnipeg and I had no idea there was a nudist colony in Piney! Huh, things you learn!

crtbud-Yep a cold Molson Canadian or a Fort Garry Dark. Mmmmm, so thirsty.

And THAT is why they need to make 'Deep Woods Nudist Colony OFF' :D

Hooha - Manitoba Moose is playing Syracuse Crunch in the playoffs... could break a record this Friday for the most overtimes in one playoff series. One heluva series so far. :D

Go Moose GO! They still aren't the Jets though. :(

Mwahahahahahaha!

Not only is Manitoba a great province, but they just love their nudist colonies up there. Let's face it, if you want to be a nudist in Manitoba, you have to be tough.

Go here to learn more about nudism in Manitoba:

http://www.nudist-resorts.org/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3887

Okay, what does this have to do with drunk driving stats in the Upper Midwest? Well, everything, if you think about it. You can get wasted in Minnesota and North Dakota, take a wrong turn, and end up in a nudist colony in Manitoba. I know it happens.

OK... OLD FOLKS NAKED not a good thing...EVER. I will now go burn my eyes out having seen that for I no longer have use for them!!

Why do I even bother to click on these links...shudders*

Edited by muddpuppy

My husband is a Cheesehead. Bleeds cheese. So we've made the pilgrimage to Green Bay twice now and going back again in September. I hate football with a passion. I'm a good Canadian girl. I like my hockey. Anyway, I spend most of my time in GB in a drunken stupor. Let me tell ya, Wal-Mart at 2:00am p***ed drunk is great fun!

Green Bay is pretty big and if you like hockey you could always go check out the Green Bay Gamblers hockey team. :P

Could be a reason, it's boring here a lot. Not sure what MN has to offer though... There's a reason we have a border. :P

Yep, snake pits. In the spring there are thousands of them out there. Never been, don't want to. Just looking at pictures makes me queesy!

Narcisse Snake Pits

IronGhost-I'm in Winnipeg and I had no idea there was a nudist colony in Piney! Huh, things you learn!

crtbud-Yep a cold Molson Canadian or a Fort Garry Dark. Mmmmm, so thirsty.

I've been to one of those snakepits in Manitoba, Relle, and let me tell you -- you haven't lived till you've seen one of these things close up. It's freakin' awesome!

About five years ago, some guy was stopped at the border in Pembina -- they searched his car and found 60,000 garter snakes in coolers. What he was doing was trying to smuggle them into the U.S. and sell them as exotic pets to pet stores. He was in a heap of trouble man!

I wish they could get the Jets back in Winnipeg -- those were the days. But the Moose are a lot of fun. Speaking of that, Moose Head is a great Canadian beer.

Too bad Geddy Lee isn't from Manitoba -- that would have been a great feather in your hats. But I guess you guys did give us the Guess Who and half of Bachman Turner Overdrive.