Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Debates Discussion

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

• Evangium doesn't have a personal statement currently.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:35 AM

Maybe what's needed is a 'How to Debate Thread/FAQ' in the Important Topics, since I've noticed in a few other debates, that either one or both parties don't really have a clue...

I'm certainly no master at it myself, but I'd be more than happy to contribute what I can to such an endeavour.

Edited by Evangium, 08 November 2008 - 04:37 AM.

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

Should RADAR really be held up as absolute proof of visitation by an extraterrestrial intelligence?  Click here to find out

#32    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Karlis on Nov 6 2008, 04:35 AM, said:

Unless it was a typo or similar small correction, as was suggested earlier, perhaps? Otherwise, as you say, any "major or imortant" change could have impact on the other party.

Kind regards,
Karlis

I agree. After I posted I saw all the grammatical errors I made, some where a word would not be understood so I had to go back and fix it so my words were readable.  laugh.gif It was my own ignorance disgust.gif  but I wish there was a way to show that it was a grammatical repair or such and not comopletely{completely} laugh.gif  changing things around.

Edited by Dying Seraph, 28 December 2008 - 07:59 AM.

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#33    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• 2,109 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Dying Seraph on Dec 28 2008, 05:50 PM, said:

I agree. After I posted I saw all the grammatical errors I made, some where a word would not be understood so I had to go back and fix it so my words were readable.  laugh.gif It was my own ignorance disgust.gif  but I wish there was a way to show that it was a grammatical repair or such and not comopletely{completely} laugh.gif  changing things around.

Well, one way you could do it, would be to change the colour of the parts you've corrected, but that's just time consuming and would probably look just as messy (and some more impressionable types may waste years of their lives trying to 'crack your code' wink2.gif ).  
Better just to give a quick description your edit in a post script.

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

Should RADAR really be held up as absolute proof of visitation by an extraterrestrial intelligence?  Click here to find out

#34    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

Evangium on Dec 28 2008, 06:58 AM, said:

Well, one way you could do it, would be to change the colour of the parts you've corrected, but that's just time consuming and would probably look just as messy (and some more impressionable types may waste years of their lives trying to 'crack your code' wink2.gif ).  
Better just to give a quick description your edit in a post script.

I'll do that from now on. Thanks for idea as I have just started my first debate and did not know what to do to show what I had editited. Thanks again.

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#35    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

I read that the old scoring is gone from the debates. And now after the debate people will get to share their opinions on the debate. However I was wondering would there be a poll at the end of a debate to show how many people favor one side of the debate or the other? Or will we still have to scroll through peoples posts for that answer?

#36    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• 2,109 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

Dying Seraph on Dec 29 2008, 03:47 AM, said:

I read that the old scoring is gone from the debates. And now after the debate people will get to share their opinions on the debate. However I was wondering would there be a poll at the end of a debate to show how many people favor one side of the debate or the other? Or will we still have to scroll through peoples posts for that answer?

No, it's a case of wait for people to post and scroll through those.  
Unfortunately it seems that whilst many people will look, few will post.  I guess a poll could solve that problem of knowing how well you went, but I don't know if it's possible to add one when the debate changes to open status....

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

#37    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,552 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

Unfortunately, I think the problem you'll find is that judging a debate on the basis of a poll might simply equate to a popularity contest.  Regardless of how well a debate is done, a prospective voter is more likely to vote for a friend than someone they don't know.  

Just a possibility to consider original.gif

Regards,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#38    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:39 AM

Paranoid Android on Dec 30 2008, 01:27 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I think the problem you'll find is that judging a debate on the basis of a poll might simply equate to a popularity contest.  Regardless of how well a debate is done, a prospective voter is more likely to vote for a friend than someone they don't know.  

Just a possibility to consider original.gif

Regards,

Thanx Paranoid.
Makes sense. yes.gif  Didn't even think of that. I could see now how there could be a few flaws to doing a poll now that I thought into the matter.  disgust.gif

Well, back to the drawing board.  original.gif

#39    Phillee

Phillee

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

• "one can prove the possible, however one cannot disprove the impossible."

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Q: My debate partner will not respond. He put his introduction, I put mine, and he left me hanging for almost a week. What do I do now?

one can prove the possible, however one cannot disprove the impossible.

#40    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• 2,109 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

Phillee on Jan 22 2009, 10:14 AM, said:

Q: My debate partner will not respond. He put his introduction, I put mine, and he left me hanging for almost a week. What do I do now?

Either keep hanging or PM him to see if he's still interested in continuing the debate.  If you don't get a response (or he says he's no longer interested) you could ask the mods to close the debate for now, as in the case of this debate Link

Edited by Evangium, 22 January 2009 - 06:51 AM.

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

#41    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• 1,569 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

How long does the other party get to reply? I mean we have been waiting for over a week for checktheevidence, but they failed to reply.

I say they lose.

ETA: sorry - didn't read this page before I posted. I still say they lose.

Edited by Obviousman, 16 February 2009 - 06:05 AM.

#42    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Obviousman on Feb 16 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

How long does the other party get to reply? I mean we have been waiting for over a week for checktheevidence, but they failed to reply.

I say they lose.

ETA: sorry - didn't read this page before I posted. I still say they lose.

At the present we donot have any debate timeouts so you keep waiting for the other member however once Invision Board 3 comes debate timeouts may be introduced  or so Saru says
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#43    BIFERI

BIFERI

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

I am so so sorry I am posting this in this topic but I just joined and I need help.
I do not know how to upload say my Photo or pick a photo to represant me.
And I do not know how to fill out my info for my profile.

Thanks

#44    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,811 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Ah i'm sorry Biferi I hadn't checked this thread in a while and I missed your query.

You can access all the profile options available by clicking on My Controls from the menu up at the top. Once you are in there chose Edit Profile Information and Change personal photo respectively to edit your profile and personal photograph.

Let me know if you run in to any problems.

#45    BIFERI

BIFERI

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

BIFERI on Jun 24 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

I am so so sorry I am posting this in this topic but I just joined and I need help.
I do not know how to upload say my Photo or pick a photo to represant me.
And I do not know how to fill out my info for my profile.

Thanks

Thanks I see it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users