Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's LRO sees Apollo sites in new images

ScienceDominates

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• Czero 101

• ScienceDominates

• petermm2000

What is the purpose of releasing these photos ? Oh wait, don't tell me, they are to put all the hoax stuff to rest ? If so, how far has this mob sunk, lending credibility to ratbags by answering them with 'proof'. Tragic, IMO.

What is the purpose of releasing these photos ? Oh wait, don't tell me, they are to put all the hoax stuff to rest ? If so, how far has this mob sunk, lending credibility to ratbags by answering them with 'proof'. Tragic, IMO.

Alright relevant question. One purpose would be just to document the Apollo sites at this resolution. Another reason that I remember with a scientific objective, during the audio interview this morning(sept 6) just after they released the images, they said a few things about some scientists debate about how often dust on the Moon is moved around naturally, so they wanted to look at the foot trails and such left by the astronauts to gather more evidence to support those theories either way.

Perhaps you should try thinking a little wider, and maybe reading the links...

There is much scientific and historical interest in the sites, even if there were no other reason or advantage to imaging them.

As another example and apart from SD's points, how many things are up on the Moon that we have very accurate sizes/dimensions for? And how do you calibrate a camera and tune its performance? Would you like me to explain? Do you know how that camera works, and why/how they would wish to calibrate it?

And how about you tell us why *shouldn't* they target these areas? I'm sure you know better. :rolleyes:

As for 'all this hoax stuff', given the dwindling numbers (and dwindling intelligence) of hoax believers as evidenced by the absolutely pitiful level & quality of postings even at the most virulent conspiracy sites (and in spite of some determined sock-puppeting..) - frankly NASA couldn't give a hoot about them. It's over for the deniers. The large lady has sung, and these latest LRO images are merely a decorative tack in the denial coffin.

I love that they have released these images. And I can't wait for HD video, the day it arrives, or at the very least myself setting foot on the viewing platform overlooking the site!

They're not trying to dismiss the skeptics. Anyone who thinks this would be released to dispel disbelief is delusional!

Haters gon' hate!

Nothing to do with debunking hoaxers ? Those pictures are as boring as bat excreta, you can go on believing they are rivetting images, and not connected with discrediting hoax loonies, but I don't believe it.

This isn't to keep the pseudo-skeptics quiet, its interesting to people who love the history of the moon landings. And the rover being driven all the way over there is proof that its fake??? Wow, that's tenuous.

Nothing to do with debunking hoaxers ? Those pictures are as boring as bat excreta, you can go on believing they are rivetting images, and not connected with discrediting hoax loonies, but I don't believe it.

Well it's one opinion, that's fine.. I do like how Phil Plait put it though..

You are actually seeing physical evidence of human beings walking on the surface of another world.

These are historical evidence of one of the most extraordinary adventures we humans have ever undertaken.

[Source]
Humanity's bootprints on the Moon seen in hi-res pix by LRO. Never forget what we can choose to do.
[Source]

They got there alright that's why Russia didn't, it was a race to the moon, the US won and Russia gave up, are there still idiots that believe such a hoax would have fooled Russia into giving up the greatest prize in human history so far, do you think Russia could have fooled the US, I think not.

Cool stuff indeed, the conspiracy paranoid types will have to go back to chasing big foot or the Lizard man of Carolina. Amazing how much trash was left. If we ever go back they should take some new batteries for those moon buggys! That must have been a blast driving those on the moon.

no no no :no: you see these are made up tracks that they took pictures of in some remote part of nevada. Its so obvious. :yes: They do it because they care.

If indeed NASA has an eye to discrediting hoax nutters by releasing pictures, it is an incredibly sad state of affairs, in more ways than one.

Dont they have a telescope that can see into very outer space? Kelper? If they can see into space, how come they cannot produce ground level photos?

Dont they have a telescope that can see into very outer space? Kelper? If they can see into space, how come they cannot produce ground level photos?

We did that....40 years ago, see?

AS17-140-21367HR.jpg

One of thousands of surface level pictures we took on the 14 EVAs we did on the Moon.

We actually haven't needed any pictures since then.

The LRO pictures are just fun!

Why would the rover be there? They drove there got out and walked back? Seems odd and/or lame/or fake

Do some research...

Apollo 17's LRV was parked there so that it's video camera could capture this:

Cz

A ground-based optical telescope with the sufficient resolution to produce recognizable images of the Apollo landing sites and the artifacts left behind would require a mirror approximately 200 meters in diameter.

Not only is that financially prohibitive, it would be virtually impossible to construct such a mirror and have it keep its shape. Assuming it didn't destroy itself due to its own weight, it would distort itself to a degree that it would be unusable.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101

Folks, I've just had to clean this thread. This thread has been placed in the Space Exploration section for a reason. This is NOT the Conspiracies Board! For the purpose of this thread, the assumption is made that the photos are real, and NASA is just releasing new footage for those with an interest in the Space program. We don't need to hear about Conspiracy theories as to why NASA may be making this up, or searching for alleged inconsistencies - there's plenty of material already in the Conspiracies Board for you to post about; edit: just to clarify - it is ok to ask questions here seeking clarification about photos or details, but it is NOT ok to blame the Nazi's or Photoshop for faking the entire event! Future posts in this thread that break these conditions will be deleted without notice, and in certain circumstances (eg, repeated pattern of behaviour) Warnings and/or suspensions may be issued. Thank you,

~ Paranoid Android (Forum Mod. Team)

Edited by Paranoid Android

I think the pictures a pretty cool, but I still want to see more detail, more I say!

And as for the historical signifigance we shouldn't forget these perfectly preserved artifacts are conclusive proof that advanced electronics and equipment was once made in America.

Why would the rover be there? They drove there got out and walked back? Seems odd and/or lame/or fake

What Cz showed you was some video of the lunar liftoff of Apollo 17's LM, shot from the Rover's TV camera, which is still sitting in the exact spot (visible on the photo) that it shot the videom from 39 years ago.).

I think the pictures a pretty cool, but I still want to see more detail, more I say!

And as for the historical signifigance we shouldn't forget these perfectly preserved artifacts are conclusive proof that advanced electronics and equipment was once made in America.

One day, i think someone with a digital camera will be down there, snapping some shots of the place as it is...sort of like they did with Kodak film all those many years ago when they were there last!

22517.jpg

22527.jpg

22569.jpg

Hello everyone

What is most amazing for me is the fact that ALL Apollo 11 - 17 (-13) landings are in the same are! Just imagine - the other side of the Moon has thousands of kilometers of space to explore. Yet - NASA was landing all Apollo missions in just ONE are.

See for yourself: http://www.google.com/moon/

Have you ever wonder why? Even if the landings are kilometers away from each other - still just one black spot area on the Moon.

Maybe John Lear was right - it was our, Earth, designated are?