Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rome/Greece

Virot Maglan

I'm preparing for my midterm coming up soon, and I'm studying up on the contributions to today's society from Rome and Greece and how Greece had a major impact on the Roman Empire/Republic. I can't really find any good information on this so I was hoping that I could get some feedback from the UM people =D. Anything usefull will be appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virot Maglan

• Piney

• Mr Supertypo

• questionmark

Abbott, Frank Frost (1901). A History and Description of Roman Political Institutions. Elibron Classics. ISBN 0-543-92749-0.

Byrd, Robert (1995). The Senate of the Roman Republic. U.S. Government Printing Office Senate Document 103-23.

Caesar, Julius (58-50 BC). The conquest of Gaul. London: Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-044433-5.

Cicero, Marcus Tullius (1841). The Political Works of Marcus Tullius Cicero: Comprising his Treatise on the Commonwealth; and his Treatise on the Laws. vol. 1 (Translated from the original, with Dissertations and Notes in Two Volumes By Francis Barham, Esq ed.). London: Edmund Spettigue.

Eck, Werner (2003). The Age of Augustus. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 0-631-22957-4.

Flower, Harriet I. (2004). The Cambridge Companion to the Roman Republic. Cambridge.

Goldsworthy, Adrian (2003). The Complete Roman Army. Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-05124-0.

Hart, B. H. Liddell (1926, reprint 2004). Scipio Africanus — Greater than Napoleon. DA CAPO Press. ISBN 0-306-81363-7.

Holland, Tom (2005). Rubicon : the last years of the Roman Republic. Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-50313-X.

Lintott, Andrew (1999). The Constitution of the Roman Republic. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-926108-3.

MacDonald, W. L. (1982). The Architecture of the Roman Empire. Yale University Press, New Haven.

Matyszak, Philip (2004). The Enemies of Rome. Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-25124-X.

Owen, Francis (1993). The Germanic people; their Origin Expansion & Culture. Barnes & Noble Books. ISBN 0-19-926108-3.

Palmer, L. R. (1954). The Latin Language. Univ. Oklahoma. ISBN 0-8061-2136-X.

Polybius (1823). The General History of Polybius: Translated from the Greek. Vol 2 (Fifth ed.). Oxford: Printed by W. Baxter.

Taylor, Lily Ross (1966). Roman Voting Assemblies: From the Hannibalic War to the Dictatorship of Caesar. The University of Michigan Press. ISBN 0-472-08125-X.

That could weather you over

Woot! Thank you!

The Romans were the result of the combining of the Samites, Sabines, Latins, Siculs,Osci, Etruscans and many other tribes, some who didn't even speak a Indo-European language.

I always considered the Romans good scavengers. Their building skills and part of their religion came from the Greeks. Their weapons from the Celts and Iberians. Their horsemanship and equines from North Africa and the Persians. Medicines and medical tools from the Celts and Egyptians. Shipbuilding skills from the Phoenicians and Greeks, many different skills in Metalworking from the Thracians (after invading them for their mines). Various gods from the Celts.

I also blame the Romans for bringing the disease of "Imperialism" to other Europeans. That "disease" is what caused European explorers and settlers to act the way they did towards indigenous populations in the Americas and Africa. EDIT: :unsure2:

Lapiche

Edited by Piney

The Romans were the result of the combining of the Samites, Sabines, Latins, Siculs,Osci, Etruscans and many other tribes, some who didn't even speak a Indo-European language.

I always considered the Romans good scavengers. Their building skills and part of their religion came from the Greeks. Their weapons from the Celts and Iberians. Their horsemanship and equines from North Africa and the Persians. Medicines and medical tools from the Celts and Egyptians. Shipbuilding skills from the Phoenicians and Greeks, many different skills in Metalworking from the Thracians (after invading them for their mines). Various gods from the Celts.

I also blame the Romans for bringing the disease of "Imperialism" to other Europeans. That "disease" is what caused European explorers and settlers to act the way they did towards indigenous populations in the Americas and Africa. EDIT: :unsure2:

Lapiche

All this can easely be debunked with a good degree in roman history :tu: