Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

If you had to pick a religion or convert...

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Since BM confused me with her statements I forget to mention Chatarism.
Also Fraticellis and Bogumilism although last one is consider to be sect.

Edit: Why no one mentioned Islam?

Edited by the L, 26 October 2012 - 08:07 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#62    poetofsheba

poetofsheba

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

hmm being Asatrú I'd probably pick Hellenistic Polytheism as their pantheon and traditions are somewhat similar.

"The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." ~ William Shakespeare
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." ~ Socrates (as stated by Plato)

www.poetofsheba.com

#63    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

i would chose scientology..

nothing like a good oldfashioned cult..  

and it would be fun escaping..

woof..

#64    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 26 October 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

i would chose scientology..

nothing like a good oldfashioned cult..  

and it would be fun escaping..

woof..

I watched the programme  about those trying to escape it.. Holy tomatoes  . that was scary stuff

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#65    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'd choose Buddhism .. And for a sect, Catharism..

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#66    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,997 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

:-*

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

MY NEW RELIGION

I haven't decided on the name of my NEW religion... For now I just still call myself a christian. But I know that this is just a title, and that eventually, perhaps not in this lifetime, but ultimately the title will go away. I would like to say my NEW religion would be a nameless one, but I believe we live in a world where that would be impossible. People would then think it is a free-for-all and mean absolutely nothing. But my religion would be very meaningful indeed.

I would choose a new combination of many religions that recognizes a single all powerful God who is both male and female, who promotes Love and Good work and the spread of these things, not as a burden, but as a (mass movement*) help to the world. My religion would recognize that God is still a mystery and that the Wisdom of such things is not at all totally figured out but by perusing Goodness > as described in the combined texts of my new religion, we get closer and closer to that Wisdom. After death we are promised an advancement in knowledge, but we will still not be totally knowledgeable in all things, we would still have all of eternity to be with God and slowly but surely the Mystery would begin to be unraveled for us.

regarding free will: All things are determined by God, he sets things up for us to succeed in the path that is set for us. The free will aspect is an internal one, there are things within us we must struggle to overcome, in doing this we will gain a stronger foothold on that path and therefore be more affective.

Regarding the evil one: Yes he* was created by God. He having the attributes (like us) of God wanted to become all powerful and jealous and therefore his true powerful nature was thwarted, he being very strong in his position was defiant toward change. God said, "Ok. I have made you. I gave you the power to decide how to be on the inside. You have made your decision to be evil, fine, but just to let you know, it's a very ugly look!" And so the devil went forth in the world creating atmospheres that would make it difficult for us humans to get out of without a huge struggle. The struggle we go through is beautiful to God. When our eyes are opened to the Beauty of the Goodness of God, we become zealous for righteousness and a peace beyond understanding comes into our hearts. God is saddened with disharmony, evilness, murder, etc. just as we are but has allowed us to endure it so that we can feel the triumph of overcoming our obstacles. In the end the devil is a very foolish coward. On an individual basis he is easy to conquer (although it doesn't always seem that way). Group mentality is more difficult and that is why we need the new leaders, that are not corrupt by greed.

regarding angels, demons and ghosts: My religion identifies all of these. There is an alternate world, and this alternate world is referred to as 'The Heavenlies' spiritual entities reside there and are governed by the 'Good Lord'. Demons work for the Devil and work to fulfill his tasks, they have influence over humans and promote: greed, lust, materialism, murder, drug abuse, dysfunction, violence, (everything bad). Angels protect humans from harm on a daily basis, preventing accidents, saving from drowning, stopping bad events from happening etc. They perform miracles that are sometimes visible and do things that are noticeable by humans that bring them closer to The Knowledge of God. Ghosts, they exist and are sometimes seen, I still don't know why that is, but its just how it is.

The end of the world: We are all in cycles. There is reincarnation and a lot of stuff we just don't understand. There is a hell, it is bad, but not as terrible as you would think, its like a severe and extended horrible nightmare that one day you wake up from, the experience of it does not leave you with the impression that God is punishing you for a sin that you have committed, but that the devil has been trying to keep you down. You will be born again into understanding of this and will be grateful for Gods mercy. It will be like childbirth, pain that has a purpose. There is no END, there is only new beginnings, but we will ultimately, once we have learned our lessons be at a place that is peaceful and harmonious. If we are not there, we are helping others to get there...

*regarding history. Concepts would be used from all parts of the world, there would be an understanding that God was present everywhere, not just in certain locations and that prophets were used back in time, just as they are used now. There is an understanding that different cultures were receiving many of the same messages through spiritual experiences but transcribed or told them in different ways. God would be described as a prism with many different eyes, as a central light that is cast from inside the prism, different colors would come from this and be cast in different rays, but they were all from the same source. It is true that God is both inside of us and also in every living thing.

There's a lot more to it, you know, probably has texts bigger than the bible and stuff. But that's the gist of it....

*good works would include soliciting young leaders that would make their own congregations, with steadfast pure hearts they would fight for righteousness in its various facets: helping kids get out of gangs, promote family stability, many types of outreach programs, stopping domestic violence, obliterating homelessness, becoming political anarchists, destroying capitalism (materialism), seek world wide equality, no slavery, no wars, etc.... Yes, a lot of work would need to be done.

**I use the pronoun 'he' for God and the Devil, this is only for personification value.. The overall theme is symbolic by nature. Not that it is not true - but because God and the Devil are so vast, it is impossible for them to be a single He or She, but an overall Matter. This is part of the Mystery.... :D

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#67    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,997 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Oh... and in my religion, there would be the promotion of getting to know God for yourself as God is truly on the inside of you and that you could go there in prayer and meditation for the answers about the mysteries of life, that this process would be more affective than any other teaching or reading. There would be no 'blind sheep', but spiritually strong and growing in enlightenment individuals... They would work together for Good, not just follow a leader for the sole reason that he is a leader. They would understand truly what they were working towards and that would not be the spread of a 'religion' per-say, but an awareness of freedom from the ways of the devil (my religion would also spend time on vocabulary, we would break these things down and say them in different ways so that the underlying meaning would be clear - you can say devil, you can say oppression, etc...)

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#68    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

But for the sake of this thread I say I would convert to: Hindu / Tao / Zoroastrianism who identifies the 'Great Spirit' (with a little bit of Jesus on the side)

Edited by SpiritWriter, 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#69    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I would not pick, they'd have to execute me.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 30 October 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#70    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Unitarian Universalist

Though it's not as if I'd ever have to pick.  Religion isn't my nose.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#71    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,997 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

And for tonight, I have converted into a WITCH. hee hee hee

#72    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I religion is my brain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users