Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Former Archbishop slams gay marriage


  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostGreyWeather, on 09 October 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Duh, how do you think Hitler had such a perfectly formed 'stache?

That's right, his gay stylist!

--

In an essence he is right, in that you can be called a bigot for not agree'ing to gay rights. But then, turn the tables around and they'll be shouting at you for being so bigoted for not agreeing to there viewpoints.

I don't see what harm gay marriage will propose to the church, I don't think they should be made to offer marriages to same sex couples in their church if they don't want to. But, then they should be as open to that as to those who will open their churches to same-sex marriages.

Edit:

It's not like the gov't are forcing the priests to marry each other so it doesn't exactly interfere with their own lives.

How is opposing equal rights for gay people because of religious prejudice not a bigoted position?

I mean sheesh! If the cap fits!

You're totally right, gay marriage doesn't affect anyone but those it helps express their love.
And we've moved beyond it being the love that dare not speak it's name! The Church needs to get with the program.

Posted Image

Edited by Atlantia, 09 October 2012 - 06:01 PM.


#17    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

1. They only dislike religion because it's demonized their lifestyle.
2. Do gay people force you to be gay?
3. Do religious folks force people to abide by their principles? For the most part, yes.

1. I agree.
2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.
3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

1. Close down government to protect themselves.
2. Promise not to violate anyone elses rights.
3. Try to 'educate' those against them.
4. When education fails then the violation of peoples rights would begin.
5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).
6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).
7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)
8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 09 October 2012 - 06:14 PM.


#18    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 09 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

What religious freedoms have been infringed ???
He is objecting simply because the country no longer accepts his opinion over their own. Its called sour grapes.

Br Cornelius

The underlined part is a distortion of reality.

A lot of people dont accept gay marriage.


#19    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 11,336 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 09 October 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

1. I agree.
2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.
3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

1. Close down government to protect themselves.
2. Promise not to violate anyone elses rights.
3. Try to 'educate' those against them.
4. When education fails then the violation of peoples rights would begin.
5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).
6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).
7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)
8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.
Quite a set of achievement for a minority of just 10% of the population !! None of these fantasy scares could ever come true, and if you thought about it - you know it.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#20    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,049 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 09 October 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:



1. I agree.
2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.
3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

1. Close down government to protect themselves.
2. Promise not to violate anyone elses rights.
3. Try to 'educate' those against them.
4. When education fails then the violation of peoples rights would begin.
5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).
6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).
7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)
8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.
I'm sure racists and misogynists have the same fear about their chosen hated race or women. How does 'gay marriage' instantly translate into 'Dystopian (but trendy) Future' for straights? I understand that you listed out this as some kind of 'transition' from simple dismantlement of government to genocide, wait, no I don't. You could say the same thing about any oppressed minority but it doesn't make it true.

Edited by Hasina, 09 October 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#21    supervike

supervike

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,491 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 09 October 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

1. I agree.
2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.
3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

1. Close down government to protect themselves.
2. Promise not to violate anyone elses rights.
3. Try to 'educate' those against them.
4. When education fails then the violation of peoples rights would begin.
5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).
6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).
7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)
8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.


So, the gays are going to rule the world and enforce genocide?

That seems like a logical next step.

Edited by supervike, 09 October 2012 - 06:26 PM.


#22    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I'm sure racists and misogynists have the same fear about their chosen hated race or women. How does 'gay marriage' instantly translate into 'Dystopian (but trendy) Future' for straights? I understand that you listed out this as some kind of 'transition' from simple dismantlement of government to genocide, wait, no I don't. You could say the same thing about any oppressed minority but it doesn't make it true.

If the UK got a government like they have in Iran you know that they would get rid of homosexuals.

I know that, you know that and they know that. Thats where the motivation to close down government would come from and is the beginning of a slippery slope which ends in horror for millions.

In my opinion their hysterical paranoid over the religious would lead them into it quite easily.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 09 October 2012 - 06:36 PM.


#23    Corp

Corp

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,951 posts
  • Joined:19 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 09 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

What religious freedoms have been infringed ???
He is objecting simply because the country no longer accepts his opinion over their own. Its called sour grapes.

Br Cornelius

The concern is that churchs will be forced to perform gay marriage if they want to or not. That if the push for gay rights is pushed too hard that the Bible might be outlawed as hate speech. A slippery slope no doubt but that's the fear.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#24    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,245 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Marriage licenses are processed by the state, not by any religious institution. It's a State thing, not a Religion thing. The ceremony is a Religion thing, true.
The Ceremony may or may not be a "Religion"thing (Civil Ceremonies).


#25    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,245 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostCorp, on 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

The concern is that churchs will be forced to perform gay marriage if they want to or not. That if the push for gay rights is pushed too hard that the Bible might be outlawed as hate speech. A slippery slope no doubt but that's the fear.

No it isn't!! There is absolutely no suggestion of this, never has been.

Civil Partnerships between same sex couples (affording the same rights as heterosexual couples) have been legal since 2004. Carey is just venting his ownextreme form of Bigotry


#26    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 11,336 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 09 October 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

The underlined part is a distortion of reality.

A lot of people dont accept gay marriage.
The majority simply don't care. The majority personally know a gay person and have empathy with their situation.

It is the minority who are not willing to accept gays as having equal rights - and it is the Conservative party and the Churches who are pandering to this dwindling minority.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#27    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 11,336 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostCorp, on 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

The concern is that churchs will be forced to perform gay marriage if they want to or not. That if the push for gay rights is pushed too hard that the Bible might be outlawed as hate speech. A slippery slope no doubt but that's the fear.
An ungrounded fear then - since there is no compulsion in law to perform gay marriages in churches or even to agree with them. The only point of law is not to express hatred and discriminate against Gay people. I do not see that situation changing any time soon so there is little that the Church has to fear from the state - if they do not preach hatred.

It is the loss of authority which is at the heart of the churches concerns - not the fear of been forced to do things which they find morally objectionable.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#28    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

    Integrity is all we have

  • Member
  • 2,681 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:White Cloud

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 09 October 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

An ungrounded fear then - since there is no compulsion in law to perform gay marriages in churches or even to agree with them. The only point of law is not to express hatred and discriminate against Gay people. I do not see that situation changing any time soon so there is little that the Church has to fear from the state - if they do not preach hatred.

It is the loss of authority which is at the heart of the churches concerns - not the fear of been forced to do things which they find morally objectionable.

Br Cornelius

Imagine you are a priest and conduct marriage ceremonies for straight couples only. A gay couple approach you to conduct their ceremony, which you politely decline. What excuse would you make that does not infringe their human rights to not be discriminated against?

In this case, the human rights of the priest or the gay coupe will be breached as the priest has the freedom of religion and the gay couple have the right not to be discriminated against for their sexual orientation.


#29    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

    Integrity is all we have

  • Member
  • 2,681 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:White Cloud

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 09 October 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

No it isn't!! There is absolutely no suggestion of this, never has been.

Civil Partnerships between same sex couples (affording the same rights as heterosexual couples) have been legal since 2004. Carey is just venting his ownextreme form of Bigotry

Civil Unions grant the same rights as marriage. The word marriage creates tensions for religious people/organizations as it has been solely their domain for the last few hundred years.

My sister is gay, but she doesn't like the gay marriage debate currently going on in our country and around the world as it draws the spotlight onto people who just want to live their lives and are currently not suffering any form of discrimination. Marriage is defined (and always has been) as a union between a man and women. Why change that definition?

If me and my (opposite sex) partner ever decide to have a ceremony, it will be a civil union as i am against religions in general and see marriage as their domain.


#30    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Unless this 'lord' calls for the execution of women who aren't virgins when they marry with equal fervour, God isn't going to be happy with him at all.

Call me a radical, but I think marriage as an institution should be abolished all together.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users