Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist tactics in Calif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#61    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 19 November 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

I've actually met a number of Fundie Jewish folks and read a number of stories of Fundie Jewish folks doing just that. By and large, I think it seems that Judaism has a leg up on raising smart and intelligent people. Certainly, a good chunk of recent famous scientists were culturally Jewish. (Einstein, Feynman, Sagan)
There's all kinds, of course. Just found the opportunity to use these to add a little levity.

That's what I'm getting. Might be wrong.

I think your explanation is right on. :tu:

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#62    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

View Postranrod, on 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

I think I see what you mean.  Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances.  The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.

That's what I'm seeing in all this too.

I just want to point out that the booths are given out in a lottery process, last year Atheist just happened to win the most, 18 of 21. I think that was a big part of the problem for Christians as they only got 2 of them.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#63    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,118 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Ban Christmas and Easter!  (and all Holidays)

View Postranrod, on 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

I think I see what you mean.  Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances.  The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.

The Christians want to celebrate Christmas.  What is the motive of the atheists?  To upset and annoy Christians?  I think so.  It certainlty ain't cos they want to give up all those holidays they get.

#64    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 November 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

There's all kinds, of course. Just found the opportunity to use these to add a little levity.
No! This serious business. :geek:

I think your explanation is right on. :tu:
  It's certainly the one most favorable to my side. Which makes me suspicious... :unsure:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#65    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

The Christians want to celebrate Christmas.  What is the motive of the atheists?  To upset and annoy Christians?  I think so.  It certainlty ain't cos they want to give up all those holidays they get.

Not all of us celebrate christian holidays, you know.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#66    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,118 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 November 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

Not all of us celebrate christian holidays, you know.

Would you agree that plenty of "atheists" are only out to annoy Christians?  For their own pleasure and amusement.  As our own UM forums clearly show.

Edited by Eldorado, 19 November 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#67    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Would you agree that plenty of "atheists" are only out to annoy Christians?  For their own pleasure and amusement.  As our own UM forums clearly show.

I would not. Most atheists could care less about christians unless asked or provoked. There are a small few who do try to annoy, but that certainly is not the "only" thing that they are out to do.
I could just as easily say that most christians are just out to annoy me and other disbelievers.

Forums are different. The confrontation is forced and focused here. In public, you don't just walk up to a group of people and tell them that ancient aliens are real, or you are being attacked by a demon, you can 'prove' god is real, etc. The forums here are designed for people to discuss such things.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 19 November 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#68    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

I personally don't mind Christian holiday celebrations.  Caroling, lights, even nativity scenes.  Mostly because of nostalgia I suppose.  Although I'm a non-believer I was surrounded by such things during my childhood.
The incident in Santa Monica comes from Atheists promoting their ideology alongside Christians in a public forum.  Although I think I see the reasoning behind it,  the mocking nature of the atheist booths can still be considered distasteful.  At the end of the day, public areas should remain neutral and in a diverse society like ours, trying to appease everyone leads to chaos.

#69    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

That`s not a very "tolerant" post from you. are you a christian perhaps?!!

I'm not a Christian, but I agree with what he said, as it looks past the us vs. them of certain groups, and strips it to the core of what someone did to someone else. Doing something in a passive agressive manner to incite negativity from another. It's an ugly thing that they did that just because they don't believe in the same thing as the other person, they can poke them on their holiday, until they get a negative reaction. Just bad stuff. Put yourself in the other's shoes, and see if you would like to be treated in that way.

Back to us vs. them I guess, though.

edit: wrong name in quote

Edited by _Only, 19 November 2012 - 01:12 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#70    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,118 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 November 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

I would not. Most atheists could care less about christians unless asked or provoked.

Then why are they here every day and night picking fights with Christians without any provocation.

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums.  Why?  If they care not a jot about theism?  Like I've already stated, and it's only my opinion, it's because they love feeling superior in intelligence.  Putting the boot into the less intelligent is good sport, apparently, and perfectly acceptable in the atheist world.

Edited by Eldorado, 19 November 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#71    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Not exactly. Many atheists are outspoken, yes. Much of what they say does antagonize Christians and other theists.
Not so much purposefully, but by the very nature of what's being said.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#72    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

Then why are they here every day and night picking fights with Christians without any provocation.
I'd not equate "most atheists" to the atheists on this forum.

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums.  Why?  If they care not a jot about theism?  Like I've already stated, and it's only my opinion, it's because they love feeling superior in intelligence.  Putting the boot into the less intelligent is good sport, apparently.
You can say that about every forum here where the discussion is between believers and non-believers of any subject, and be equally right for both sides.

-Terry Pratchett

#73    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostEldorado, on 19 November 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums.  Why?  If they care not a jot about theism?

I don't presume to know why anybody does anything on this site.  Why do people claim to have psychic powers? Or claim they are werewolves or vampires? Or insist every report of a strange creature is some kind of strangely evolved hyrax?

The anonymity certainly emboldens some, sure. Perhaps some of these people are never in the position to converse with people of such diverse faiths outside of this site.
Credit where credit is due, there are PLENTY of believers who are just looking to annoy as there are nonbelievers.

#74    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,084 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 19 November 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

I'd not equate "most atheists" to the atheists on this forum.

You can say that about every forum here where the discussion is between believers and non-believers of any subject, and be equally right for both sides.

That fact also remains that there is a negative correlation between intelligence and religious belief.
http://davesource.co...-Lynn-et-al.pdf

#75    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 November 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Credit where credit is due, there are PLENTY of believers who are just looking to annoy as there are nonbelievers.

The difference is that they are defending what they believe. Atheists don't believe in anything, so what are they defending against?

Nothing; they're attacking the rest, who are wrong.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users