Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stephen Hawking's and My Thought on Norse

debmedia

I revealed a thought today and like to share with you all:-

Yesterday when I read “The Grand Design” by “Stephen Hawking” I get a paragraph where he wrote, I exactly quoted it then I start my thought:

“IN VIKING MYTHOLOGY, Skoll and Hati chase the sun and the moon. When the wolves catch either one, there is an eclipse. When this happens, the people on earth rush to rescue the sun or moon by making as much noise as they can in hopes of scaring off the wolves. There are similar myths in other cultures. But after a time people must have noticed that the sun and moon soon emerged from the eclipse regardless of whether they ran around screaming and banging on things.”

Now after that I started to do a small study on Exact Norse Mythology on this myth. Then I read that there: http://www.gutenberg...7-h/24737-h.htm

And I quoted it also:

“At that time, too, there were men and women in the world. But before the Sun and the Moon were devoured and before the Gods were destroyed, terrible things happened in the world. Snow fell on the four corners of the earth and kept on falling for three seasons. Winds came and blew everything away. And the people of the world who had lived on in spite of the snow and the cold and the winds fought each other, brother killing brother, until all the people were destroyed.

Also there was another earth at that time, an earth green and beautiful. But the terrible winds that blew leveled down forests and hills and dwellings. Then fire came and burnt the earth. There was darkness, for the Sun and the Moon were devoured. The Gods had met with their doom. And the time in which all these things happened was called Ragnarök, the Twilight of the Gods.”

Now Look at the term in the last line “Ragnarök, the Twilight of the Gods”. Now from another study I get about this “Ragnarök, the Twilight of the Gods” and what it is?

“typically spelled Ragnarǫk in the handwritten scripts, is a series of future events, including a great battle foretold to ultimately result in the death of a number of major figures (including the gods Odin, Thor, Týr, Freyr, Heimdallr, and Loki), the occurrence of various natural disasters, and the subsequent submersion of the world in water. Afterward, the world will resurface anew and fertile, the surviving and reborn gods will meet, and the world will be repopulated by two human survivors. Ragnarök is an important event in the Norse canon, and has been the subject of scholarly discourse and theory.”

In Wikipedia.

Now I want to reveal my point of thought and what I want to say.

Here, if Ragnarǫk is a “is a series of future events” then it is not possible to start and end in some moments like an Eclipse event. Then, the myth tells about Ragnarok, it must not tells us about any eclipse. If they tells us that two wolf devour Sun and Moon that is not the story of sun or moon eclipse. And also I can say that this two events (sun and moon eclipse) cannot occur in the same time that’s for sure. So, If they tells us the end of sun and moon in the same time that means a vast or massive change in our solar system. And that also they told us. They named it also as ,”Ragnarok”. Now, that means they are telling about a destruction or devastation in the galaxy or solar system and that could be the “Great Disaster”. Now I think nobody should neglect the old myth as I heartily feel that ancient times are more intelligent and advanced than us and they also know the space very well. Except that, how they wrote about the rainbow bridge which connect Asgard and Earth? How they thought about outer world except our World? Even todays modern age, if you go to an interior village, they also not famillier that there are many many other worlds in our galaxy like our earth. They must wonder to know it. Isn’t it? So, if the writers of norse mythology does not know about any advanced civilizations other than us, how they imagine and wrote many many stories? I don’t say that every story of them are real and they have any real existence. But my point is, they must know about galaxies, other planets etc. Other than they cannot think about that. And what Stephen Hawking said in his book, I think he take them lightly as most of the scientist have a tendancy to just neglect the ancient myths as they are sure all ancients are fool. Just reply if I am false and where I am right or wrong. Thank you.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
Fixed quote tags

I see, they were so much more advanced than us that rather than making the story as accurate as possible, they make a myth about wolves and gods.

If you check every mythology of every civilizations you can find one thing common that all are using this kind of metaphor or gimmic for explain their thoughts. Why all don't think otherways that they wrote this kind of stories just because less advanced people of this world did not understand thier science so they have to make this kind of gimmick to create more interest to read or tell their stories. Like, if you goto a place with full of wild people with a lightgun and helicopter then if you have to explain those things to them how you explain? you explain using our modern science or use something like "It is a great bird with rounding wings in its head and this is a fire arrow (as they don't undertand what is called a gun) which can slay or punished a human in a second." something like that. I also hear or read somewhere that some modern research are started to bilieve that all or maximum number of myth had something real in them. we have to understand those real thing inside all gimmick. thats all.

• Like 1

The devouring of the Sun and Moon could equally be reference to a past event whereby released volcanic ash could have obscurred the skies for years? The story continues with storms and floods, the loss of all agriculture and the Fauna that is dependent on this source of energy etc that would follow such an event -

What is quite interesting in Twilight of the Gods is the revealing (as told in the story) of a 2nd Heaven - above Asgard (Gimli) - and from this revelation the story of Adam and Eve emerges. And this without any Abrahimmic influences.

My angle on this myth is that it is a re-telling of a very real catastrophic event (such as a volcanic eruption) phrased in metaphor that would be easily understandable to non-scientific and superstitious folk at the time.

IMO

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

Just what I want to say. perfect keithisco

And thats why I am working to find the real inside all metaphor from those kinds of myths. One thing I am sure, which civilizations can think about rainbow bridge, other palnets, many worlds etc and can imagine such a nice architectures whatever we read about Asgard's palaces etc, I don't believe that they all nothing but fool or superstitious. And they wrote their stories for superstitious that's for sure. And thats why they use all metaphors. But, as we are not in this kind of era for what they wrote thos metaphors, and as a person of digital age, now I think the time has come to explore all those hidden treasure inside all myth's gimmick.

Edited by debmedia

They may be symbolic meanings, and decrypted dates or hidden or misunderstood time conceptions. If they wrote those text because they believed those words had some truth value, then I see those ways as possibilities. They may have been writing it just as a good nighttime story too, there was no telly nor internet back then to keep us hooked on to something, just religions and stories.

If the text has truth value, I think people of that time knew how to be honest with themselves about knowing (or strongly believing) that they dont have all the means to fully understand some phenomenas. Being symbolic, cryptic or putting things into metaphoras could be how they expressed it.

Astronomically speaking, experiencing both moon and sun eclipse is possible, but that'd likely mean that there was some wandering planet that passed through our solar system and happened to pass through the exact time and route in between us and moon, when solar eclipse occurred, covering both moon and sun and yet not destroying us nor moon. That might explain the possible anomalies it might've caused. But, the odds for that phenomena to happen in the first place are astronomical, but then again so was you being the one out of all semens that have been in your father's sacks and coming to this world to read my message, especially when you look at it from the point of earliest human beings. I bet they wouldn't have guessed.

But it might be something else too, including just a story, but I dont see why it would have to be just a story, based on this at least.

If you check every mythology of every civilizations you can find one thing common that all are using this kind of metaphor or gimmic for explain their thoughts. Why all don't think otherways that they wrote this kind of stories just because less advanced people of this world did not understand thier science so they have to make this kind of gimmick to create more interest to read or tell their stories.
So you really don't have any examples of them being more intelligent or advanced as their myths were made for less advanced people?
Like, if you goto a place with full of wild people with a lightgun and helicopter then if you have to explain those things to them how you explain? you explain using our modern science or use something like "It is a great bird with rounding wings in its head and this is a fire arrow (as they don't undertand what is called a gun) which can slay or punished a human in a second." something like that.
If thats how you'd explain a helicopter, then either you don't know what a helicopter is or you're deliberately lying to them.

I thought Ragnarok was not The END, but was a new beginning. Doesn't Balder and a few other gods live though the battles to restart Asgard?

If thats how you'd explain a helicopter, then either you don't know what a helicopter is or you're deliberately lying to them.

Ok, I agree with you. Then, tell me, if you explain a helicopter to them, how you explain? I need that explanation.

Ok, I agree with you. Then, tell me, if you explain a helicopter to them, how you explain? I need that explanation.

There is a chariot, which behind where the rider sits is a device called a motor, which provides energy, and into this motor is attached a shaft. At the top of this shaft is affixed two bars, which spin at a great speed, pushing air downward, and pushing the craft into the air. The rider of this device is enclosed so to not be affected by the winds generated by the blades spinning. While in the air, this craft utilizes weapons known as "guns," which inflict damage by firing projectiles like slingstones, at far greater speeds and made of metal.

And I imagine someone more familiar with heliocopters could provide a better description, and if I really cared I would as well.

You're treating ancient (though actually in the case of the Vikings, Medieval or Classical peoples) as stupid as you pretend scientists and archaeologists do.

ShadowSot, my friend, greatly said, but believe me, if you stated like that to those uncultured, illiterate persons, who kill and eat animals without cooked them, they just killed you by their poisonous arrow. Just thought other ways, they don't know anything like "What is energy", "What is craft, projectiles, sling stones" etc. thought from the basic. as you are a very little knowledge person, or think you are a person who lives in a dangerous forest, you can imagine this kind of words? you have to teach some person who don't know anything which is below the basic science level. then you cannot express like that. I give my point. you thought. Actually It is a normal intention of human to think that, what he thought is perfect. so, I also think that my point is perfect and you also do the same. and that is why all opposition are take place. we fight each other. Thats cannot solve anything. we have to know the real truth. BUT WHO SHOW US THE REAL TRUTH?

If you check every mythology of every civilizations you can find one thing common that all are using this kind of metaphor or gimmic for explain their thoughts. Why all don't think otherways that they wrote this kind of stories just because less advanced people of this world did not understand thier science so they have to make this kind of gimmick to create more interest to read or tell their stories. Like, if you goto a place with full of wild people with a lightgun and helicopter then if you have to explain those things to them how you explain? you explain using our modern science or use something like "It is a great bird with rounding wings in its head and this is a fire arrow (as they don't undertand what is called a gun) which can slay or punished a human in a second." something like that. I also hear or read somewhere that some modern research are started to bilieve that all or maximum number of myth had something real in them. we have to understand those real thing inside all gimmick. thats all.

Just the same like how the bible was written. So when I read how the earth was created I'm like okay... now how about the real way? lol.

@Government Agent "So you really don't have any examples of them being more intelligent or advanced as their myths were made for less advanced people?"

Well if I was very smart and intelligent like they were, I would keep everything as basic as possible and would keep it all that way, because I wouldn't need technology (wich keeps causing all sorts of totally unuseful issues) to communicate with and love my family. I would be so advanced that I would be using telepathy to communicate when needed and would develop habilities that it seems we learn to forget when we grow up in this world. There are some things we would be better not to learn the way we do because it only brings serious troubles. What we don't realise is that technology is going the wrong way. So yes, in ways I think I find how they were, more intelligent than us right now :)

I thought Ragnarok was not The END, but was a new beginning. Doesn't Balder and a few other gods live though the battles to restart Asgard?

Yes Baldar does as do the sons of Thor. And like you said, it's a new beginning.

cormac

ShadowSot, my friend, greatly said, but believe me, if you stated like that to those uncultured, illiterate persons, who kill and eat animals without cooked them, they just killed you by their poisonous arrow. Just thought other ways, they don't know anything like "What is energy", "What is craft, projectiles, sling stones" etc. thought from the basic.

I gather english isn't your first language? An arrow is a projectile. If they use arrows, they know what a projectile is.
as you are a very little knowledge person, or think you are a person who lives in a dangerous forest, you can imagine this kind of words? you have to teach some person who don't know anything which is below the basic science level. then you cannot express like that. I give my point. you thought. Actually It is a normal intention of human to think that, what he thought is perfect. so, I also think that my point is perfect and you also do the same. and that is why all opposition are take place. we fight each other. Thats cannot solve anything. we have to know the real truth. BUT WHO SHOW US THE REAL TRUTH?

You earlier said the norse were more advanced than us, yet your excuse for their myths is their explanations are for less advanced people. Who are these less advanced people? Edited by Rlyeh

You earlier said the norse were more advanced than us, yet your excuse for their myths is their explanations are for less advanced people. Who are these less advanced people?

The Coarse.

Harte

You earlier said the norse were more advanced than us, yet your excuse for their myths is their explanations are for less advanced people. Who are these less advanced people?

yeah, I know, you are going to ask this question. Ok, I already have the answer in my mind, I am not telling anywhere that All those advance people (God?) tells those stories to Norse type civilizations. I just tell that, they tell the story many many years ago to any uncivilized persons, who design them in cave etc. then, when people started to make advance civilization, they try to understand the cave painting etc and with their believe in God, they started to write those myths in their own languages. I don't say that God or advance persons tell those story to Norse, they tells them many many years back to less advance or persons. It is a possibilities. But I have no time machine to go to their time and get a prove to show you though. hehe.

Yes Baldar does as do the sons of Thor. And like you said, it's a new beginning.

cormac

sounds similar to this mayan calendar business (however i haven't looked that far into it other than the idea of sunspots etc. & the end/beginning of an age)

I've heard that due to the late formation of the Norse myths, (Roughly 9th or 10th century) that it was heavily influenced by other existing religions such as the Roman pantheon and Christianity also. And that Ragnorak is simply a Norse version of the Book of Revelations. That the end times will come, there will be a fantastic great war with Evil, lead by a trickster (Antichrist and Loki) and in the end the remnant will have a new beginning. But then it also has similarities with other End of the World myths also, so maybe this is a Archtype thing within mankind.

like thats is true