Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World religions acceptance of the New Age

Clarakore

So a detail in the Jodi Arias trial is her telling her ex goodnight over the phone and that they should astral at the same time so they could maybe meet each other in the astral plane.

Now her ex was a Mormon and she was a recent convert.

My questions are which world religions share or allow New Age beliefs?

Even if the religion does not officially allow it how many adherents stil practice the New Age techniques such as astral travel, meditation, mindfulness meditation, and visualization?

• Like 1

My guess is that if you asked the average Baptist you'd get an uncomfortable silence, followed by them quickly excusing themselves from your presence. "new Age" is synonymous with Satanic to us. You see, the dogma of the "New Age" is just the same lie from the garden repackaged with soothing sounds and words - "you can be as God"

• Like 1

You didn't answer the questions. I already know why fundamentalist Christians are opposed to the New Age. Not all Christians are fundamentalists or opposed to the New Age.

This is not spirituality vs skepticism either. This specific thread is to explore the intersection of major faiths and the New Age. Not to debate or only claim they are opposites.

You didn't answer the questions. I already know why fundamentalist Christians are opposed to the New Age. Not all Christians are fundamentalists or opposed to the New Age.

This is not spirituality vs skepticism either. This specific thread is to explore the intersection of major faiths and the New Age. Not to debate or only claim they are opposites.

Actually I think I did answer. Unless I misunderstood, you asked WHICH religions either agreed with New Age doctrine OR had adherents who do so. I was making the point that Baptists (the only ones I can speak knowledgeably of) do not accept this doctrine and most of the adherents follow the lead of the churches. I'm very aware that most Christians are not "fundamentalists". I did not post to attack, merely to answer - sorry if I stepped on your thread. Edited by and then
  • Like 1

The value of meditation is of course a central concept in Buddhist practice, is encouraged on lay people and required of monks (although I've never heard of a monk not wanting to). There are many kinds of meditation, ranging from relaxation exercises to learning how to incorporate novel ideas into one's belief system (not always wise), so it is generally thought that those who would meditate should get some sort of instruction and assessment first.

The second item on your list is unfamiliar to me. "Astral travel" seems to imply some sort of travel among the stars, an idea strange to me, but Buddhism is of course tolerant of any spiritual experience, just so long as it is remembered that we very easily fool ourselves and that those with mental imbalances should be guided.

Mindfulness, meaning being aware of both what is going on in your mind and what is going on around you, is a central Buddhist concept, from which comes the understanding of mind as process and not as thing. Mindfulness takes training, as we have a natural tendency to live our lives on "automatic steering" rather than being aware. This leads to accidents, our being rude without intending, and so on, and it leads to more serious lapses.

The next item on your list is visualization. I'm not sure if you mean in a medical context, where it can be important, or in a social context, where with prayer we try to alter aspects of the world. Prayer differs in several important ways from meditation, since it involves active conversation, if with no one else other than oneself, but in a sense with existence, and is not relaxing and can be strenuous.

I might add another item to your list -- the development of compassion. I am sure you didn't leave it off, but any effort at enlightenment requires the development of deep compassion for all sentience. From this also derives our fundamental ethical precepts, so that we are not dependent on cultural norms nor on any authority or set of rules (although of course from compassion many rules naturally follow).

Actually I think I did answer. Unless I misunderstood, you asked WHICH religions either agreed with New Age doctrine OR had adherents who do so. I was making the point that Baptists (the only ones I can speak knowledgeably of) do not accept this doctrine and most of the adherents follow the lead of the churches. I'm very aware that most Christians are not "fundamentalists". I did not post to attack, merely to answer - sorry if I stepped on your thread.

Well I would have preferred that you tailored your response to be inline with that of an average Baptist instead of introducing the devil in this thread.

The value of meditation is of course a central concept in Buddhist practice, is encouraged on lay people and required of monks (although I've never heard of a monk not wanting to). There are many kinds of meditation, ranging from relaxation exercises to learning how to incorporate novel ideas into one's belief system (not always wise), so it is generally thought that those who would meditate should get some sort of instruction and assessment first.

The second item on your list is unfamiliar to me. "Astral travel" seems to imply some sort of travel among the stars, an idea strange to me, but Buddhism is of course tolerant of any spiritual experience, just so long as it is remembered that we very easily fool ourselves and that those with mental imbalances should be guided.

Mindfulness, meaning being aware of both what is going on in your mind and what is going on around you, is a central Buddhist concept, from which comes the understanding of mind as process and not as thing. Mindfulness takes training, as we have a natural tendency to live our lives on "automatic steering" rather than being aware. This leads to accidents, our being rude without intending, and so on, and it leads to more serious lapses.

The next item on your list is visualization. I'm not sure if you mean in a medical context, where it can be important, or in a social context, where with prayer we try to alter aspects of the world. Prayer differs in several important ways from meditation, since it involves active conversation, if with no one else other than oneself, but in a sense with existence, and is not relaxing and can be strenuous.

I might add another item to your list -- the development of compassion. I am sure you didn't leave it off, but any effort at enlightenment requires the development of deep compassion for all sentience. From this also derives our fundamental ethical precepts, so that we are not dependent on cultural norms nor on any authority or set of rules (although of course from compassion many rules naturally follow).

Thank you for this primer and I suppose it narrowly answers my questions since Buddhism is a major world religion but most should already know that many (not all) New Age concepts are based on Buddhism.

Special thanks for including compassion. Astral travel is not really star travel and that is not the type of visualization I meant but your explanation was rather interesting.

If you know of other world religions besides Buddhism in regards to my questions please include them since that is what I am really asking about.

To be more clear send me links that reveal New Age beliefs mixing with more traditional religions or offer personal experiences where the two meet.

So a detail in the Jodi Arias trial is her telling her ex goodnight over the phone and that they should astral at the same time so they could maybe meet each other in the astral plane.

Even if the religion does not officially allow it how many adherents stil practice the New Age techniques such as astral travel, meditation, mindfulness meditation, and visualization?

Astral travel is not "new age." it is standard form of interacting with spirit with its roots in shamanism much older than any religions. It should be called "old age". Unrecognized by religions, it is very probable the source of most of the founders and prophets of modern religions. Yes, it is even mentioned in the bible. Astral projection, shamanic journey, spirit travel, flight of the soul, OBE are all synonymous.

Religions cannot allow it because it is a way for people to have a spirituality without the mediums that religons provide even though the religions themselves were most likely inspired by "astral" experiences themselves.

Edited by Seeker79

Astral travel is not "new age." it is standard form of interacting with spirit with its roots in shamanism much older than any religions. It should be called "old age". Unrecognized by religions, it is very probable the source of most of the founders and prophets of modern religions. Yes, it is even mentioned in the bible. Astral projection, shamanic journey, spirit travel, flight of the soul, OBE are all synonymous.

Religions cannot allow it because it is a way for people to have a spirituality without the mediums that religons provide.

OK but astral projection is still part of the New Age regardless of its history. Thank you for your answer that you don't know of any major world religions or adherents who allow or practice New Age techniques respectively.

Religions cannot allow it because it is a way for people to have a spirituality without the mediums that religons provide.

There is nothing wrong with spirituality without mediums in any religion I know of. Most people want assistance in achieving spiritual objectives, so I think it is something that develops from demand, not imposition.

OK but astral projection is still part of the New Age regardless of its history. Thank you for your answer that you don't know of any major world religions or adherents who allow or practice New Age techniques respectively.

Some still do it without calling it astral travel. A Christian mystics visions are most likely altered state experiences, induced by the same exact state. Labels will become an issue here. But traversing the spirit world in label is usually forbidden, but when it happens spontaneously, and it does, it is ok, it's just not called "astral travel"

There is nothing wrong with spirituality without mediums in any religion I know of. Most people want assistance in achieving spiritual objectives, so I think it is something that develops from demand, not imposition.

Spirit travel is pointedly forbidden in Christianity. Christ and the bible is the medium for Christians. No way around that one.

Edited by Seeker79

Some still do it without calling it astral travel. A Christian mystics visions are most likely altered state experiences, induced by the same exact state. Labels will become an issue here. But traversing the spirit world in label is usually forbidden, but when it happens spontaneously, and it does, it is ok, it's just not called "astral travel"

Awesome.

I know it was not astral travel per se but are you familiar with the Lady in Blue legend regarding sister Agreda?

BTW I grew up Christian and never heard anything negative about astral during that time which is why I began practicing and achieved the experience (whether I truly left my body is irrelevant since the experience is more important regardless of if it was self-manufactured).

So there must be a number of Christians who have also tried this and other techniques.

Awesome.

I know it was not astral travel per se but are you familiar with the Lady in Blue legend regarding sister Agreda?

Yes actually, though I had to google it to remember. The descriptions of her experiences are very much like astral travel and the experiences of a budding shaman. Interestingly enough she was visiting native Americans ;) of course she had to tone it down when the inquisition became interested. :(

Edited by Seeker79

BTW I grew up Christian and never heard anything negative about astral during that time which is why I began practicing and achieved the experience (whether I truly left my body is irrelevant since the experience is more important regardless of if it was self-manufactured).

So there must be a number of Christians who have also tried this and other techniques.

There are. I have personally helped with their endevours. I have even created a side technique for Christians using their bibles. I usually teach it to teenagers who's families are fundamentalists, but who are suffering from altered state problems. It's designed to help them gain control of their experiences while maintaining their faith. It works exceedingly well.

• Like 2

Before playing around with stuff like this one should I suppose make sure one is well-grounded in understanding how illusions can fool us and even become delusions. At the same time, it is best not to question our experiences too much, lest we close ourselves. Instead, see what good can come from them.

I have no truck with stuff like demon possession, so there is no danger of that sort of thing. We all have our protection, even assuming such things exist. Still, we can fool ourselves. A good dollop of humility helps us here, and not expecting too much.

I tend to use meditation and prayer to help me deal with internal problems, not to strive for enlightenment. When I feel stress or guilt or anger or fear or envy or pain or grief or shame or pride or any of a whole horde of such things, mindful, introspective meditation that includes looking at yourself from outside yourself is a powerful technique -- and if you can actually get your mind outside your physical body -- it works even better. (There is no reason other than habit that we always imagine our mind as inside ourselves).

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about when you refer to "astral travel").

• Like 3

Before playing around with stuff like this one should I suppose make sure one is well-grounded in understanding how illusions can fool us and even become delusions. At the same time, it is best not to question our experiences too much, lest we close ourselves. Instead, see what good can come from them.

I have no truck with stuff like demon possession, so there is no danger of that sort of thing. We all have our protection, even assuming such things exist. Still, we can fool ourselves. A good dollop of humility helps us here, and not expecting too much.

I tend to use meditation and prayer to help me deal with internal problems, not to strive for enlightenment. When I feel stress or guilt or anger or fear or envy or pain or grief or shame or pride or any of a whole horde of such things, mindful, introspective meditation that includes looking at yourself from outside yourself is a powerful technique -- and if you can actually get your mind outside your physical body -- it works even better. (There is no reason other than habit that we always imagine our mind as inside ourselves).

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about when you refer to "astral travel").

It is true. One needs to carefully examine themselves and a solid self reflective nature. It's to easy for our paranoid anima to grip us.

The journey is not an imagined experience.. Nor us it simply a meditative state. I do know people that use daydreaming meditations and call it astral travel, ap is no daydream, these people are fooling themselves. Pseudo shaman often take people on guided meditations and call it the shamanic journey. Though possibly helpful, the actual journey is completely another animal akin to an NDE.

My tutorial is here on the second post.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219629&st=0

• Like 2

Hi I believe you,

There are Christians who meditate, sit in silence, do the rosary (mindful meditation?), look at a statue or picture of Jesus or saint while praying or simply looking (like an eyes-opened meditation). Astral travel? Saints and Christian mystics have gone through a state of spiritual ecstasy. After all, we have the Pentecost. Plus, the Holy Spirit is still around.

About mediums? I believe that in the Christian context, an answer, for example, sometimes comes in a dream, vision, the Bible, and Holy Spirit's guidance. Prayer, in actuality, is the medium. It's not like Tibetan Buddhism and Voodoo, or Shaman-based belief system. The closest things are turning wine into blood, and the host as the body of Christ.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 2

Well I would have preferred that you tailored your response to be inline with that of an average Baptist instead of introducing the devil in this thread.

I dont think this if fair for you to say, he not only answered your question but gave a reason for a traditional Baptist response to the New Age.

• Like 1

This hits close to home for me because someone could probably call me a new age christian, not that its a bad title.. I have heard Christians say that the communication we receive is from the devil and truthfully I can see why they think that. Ive known some converted from christianity to some demonic version of new age, still claiming to know God but accept the 'dark' side of god, hooking up with a dark entity and becoming "evil" for a lack of a better word. But for me my emergence past traditional Christianity has been an opportunity to grow closer to god and test the fundementialities of the faith. All of the things I learned from the bible still remain fast and true, but some concepts that are tried to be forced on me I can easily reject with no remorse or guilt. Christianity can render a person in a constant state of guilt because I believe there is a new step or stage to be attained beyond what is offered in a traditional church. We must know God for ourselves, and i think that experience is robbed of us in a major degree when we submit more to a book or "man of god" than we do to God himself. I am utterly thankful for my foundation in christianity. If i didnt have that, i dont think this "new age" would be as successful (for me). There are many unfortunates about the new age but in the end it should pan out for the better. One i believe there will be a Christian persecution, and i think there are going to be a lot of angry and lost souls who dont know god. After time it will merge to a better balance but that wont be in this lifetime. These are some of my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 1

The New Age is not of course new. Many human experiences are accepted by the New Age, but christians also have paranormal experiences. I would think you would have to experience this in order to accept it. True, many Christians think all paranormal experience are Satanic, perhaps some are, dicernment is needed in any case, just like anything else in life.

peace

mark

• Like 3

The New Age is not of course new. Many human experiences are accepted by the New Age, but christians also have paranormal experiences. I would think you would have to experience this in order to accept it. True, many Christians think all paranormal experience are Satanic, perhaps some are, dicernment is needed in any case, just like anything else in life.

peace

mark

Oh is new age specific to paranormal experience .. yeah I guess any spiritual thing would be.. what a wierd and not very smart world we live in.

It's only paranormal to you if you perceive it to be outside reality; I think anything that exists is part of reality and therefore there is no true paranormal. We therefore use the word for a shorthand to people who don't know this for things that are outside their particular normality.

New Age is really a mis-mash of Eastern and aboriginal religions. When you say world religions is that just the Abrahamic faiths or does it include Eastern and aboriginal faiths?