Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FBI Fakes News Page, Caught At It!

regeneratia

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024888170_fbinewspaper1xml.html

Originally published October 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM | Page modified October 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

FBI created fake Seattle Times Web page to nab bomb-threat suspect

The FBI created a fake news story on a bogus Seattle Times Web page to plant software in the computer of a suspect in a series of bomb threats to Timberline High School in 2007, documents reveal.

"

The deception was publicized Monday when Christopher Soghoian, the principal technologist for the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington, D.C., revealed it on Twitter.

In an interview, Soghoian called the incident “outrageous” and said the practice could result in “significant collateral damage to the public trust” if law enforcement begins co-opting the media for its purposes."

Confirms my belief that you cannot believe what you read most time in mainstream media.

Confirms my belief that governments LIE.

Confirms my belief that there are criminal factions without our own USA government that totally disregard the law, particularly those that propose to be foremost in law enforcement.

Hey Chris, we already distrust the FBI. That FBI transgression has very little impact on what we think of the criminality of the FBI. It only confirms what we already believe.

It the bomb threats make you fear, home school. I am thinking about it very seriously.

What do you all think of this article?

• Like 2

Did they get the person doing the threats?

I do not see the problem here, the 'web page' was not available to the public. It was available through a link sent to the suspects MySpace account. Another misinterpreted story with an exaggerated headline.

In other news, police go undercover as news reporters to snare criminal. ;)

Did they get the person doing the threats?

Apparently an juvenile suspect was arrested.

• Like 1

I do not see the problem here, the 'web page' was not available to the public. It was available through a link sent to the suspects MySpace account. Another misinterpreted story with an exaggerated headline.

In other news, police go undercover as news reporters to snare criminal. ;)

Apparently an juvenile suspect was arrested.

Yes, I saw that one too.

So that brings up the question on the reliability of what comes up on your page in twitter, facebook and myspace. Still an intrusion. They could be planting this bull hockey on you tomorrow.

Learn about propaganda. It is being practiced at high levels in today's cyber world.

The key is NOT to believe ANYTHING until you can find a way to prove it to your own personal satisfaction, which, IMHO, includes reports of terrorist activities.

Here is a good headline for you, since the FBI seems to fair, right?

http://www.washingto...0011803982.html

FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

For years, the FBI committed felonies. Has anyone been prosecuted for it? NOPE. It is my understanding that felons cannot even carry guns. Huh!

Edited by regeneratia

Do watch! These guys were notified they won a competition, in a police sting. faking news can be good sometimes

[media=]

[/media]

Edited by seeder

I just hope that Christopher Soghoian was being ironic when he said the practice could result in “significant collateral damage to the public trust”, or that he was deliberately using the ghastly language that the enemies of freedom use.

^^^^^ this is how they should go about that PA guy that they said killed a cop, and who they can not catch for more than a mouth, not ruin the lives of entire city, cancel hunting season and helloween parade and waste millions on nothing, not to mention they look more stupid and incompetent every day.

• Like 1

Confirms my belief that you cannot believe what you read most time in mainstream media.

BTW, yr thread is based on 2 mainstream media links meanwhile but anyway.

If lunatic morons individuals do use the web for hidden threats and so with a likelihood that these threats will lead to accomplishment,

it it legitimate that these individuals get attacked and caught on the same platform they use. I`m not a friend of web control in general,

but dirty attempts require a dirty resistance at full load, see Stuxnet.

It the bomb threats make you fear, home school. I am thinking about it very seriously.

Yeah, give the lunatic morons all the freedom they can get and think about home-supermarket, home-beach and home-airport later on.

• Like 3

Yes, I saw that one too.

So that brings up the question on the reliability of what comes up on your page in twitter, facebook and myspace. Still an intrusion. They could be planting this bull hockey on you tomorrow.

They won't be pulling it on me, I am in the UK and I do not make bomb threats on High Schools.

Learn about propaganda. It is being practiced at high levels in today's cyber world.#

That is a bit patronising, especially considering you fell for the story you linked to from the OP.

The key is NOT to believe ANYTHING until you can find a way to prove it to your own personal satisfaction, which, IMHO, includes reports of terrorist activities.

Definitely. :tu:

Here is a good headline for you, since the FBI seems to fair, right?

http://www.washingto...0011803982.html

FBI broke law for years in phone record searches

I am not going to click the link, I came to comment on the article you linked to in your OP, sending me elsewhere already just shows the weakness of the original article.

For years, the FBI committed felonies. Has anyone been prosecuted for it? NOPE. It is my understanding that felons cannot even carry guns. Huh!

Of course they have, they are a Bureau run by people. People are not infallible, they make mistakes, bad judgements and lie to succeed and to cover each others mistakes and bad judgements, add to this the power of being an FBI Agent then you have a recipe that will create abuse of power. It is not just the FBI that falls foul of this but every law enforcement body.

I just hope that Christopher Soghoian was being ironic when he said the practice could result in “significant collateral damage to the public trust”, or that he was deliberately using the ghastly language that the enemies of freedom use.

And I think he is using language against the enemies of freedom. I guess it is all in the perspectives of the person. I don't not respect the FBI. Haven't for a long time. Never needed them to function for me, and I know they lie and commit felonies.

They won't be pulling it on me, I am in the UK and I do not make bomb threats on High Schools.

That is a bit patronising, especially considering you fell for the story you linked to from the OP.

Definitely. :tu:

I am not going to click the link, I came to comment on the article you linked to in your OP, sending me elsewhere already just shows the weakness of the original article.

Of course they have, they are a Bureau run by people. People are not infallible, they make mistakes, bad judgements and lie to succeed and to cover each others mistakes and bad judgements, add to this the power of being an FBI Agent then you have a recipe that will create abuse of power. It is not just the FBI that falls foul of this but every law enforcement body.

No matter, I will click it for you. I do it about twice a day just to keep the hits up on the news article.

BTW, yr thread is based on 2 mainstream media links meanwhile but anyway.

If lunatic morons individuals do use the web for hidden threats and so with a likelihood that these threats will lead to accomplishment,

it it legitimate that these individuals get attacked and caught on the same platform they use. I`m not a friend of web control in general,

but dirty attempts require a dirty resistance at full load, see Stuxnet.

Yeah, give the lunatic morons all the freedom they can get and think about home-supermarket, home-beach and home-airport later on.

which is why i said most of the time.

No matter, I will click it for you. I do it about twice a day just to keep the hits up on the news article.

You cheeky girl ;)

If some prick was send bomb threats to the school I work at, and the only way to catch them was through a cunningly conceived ploy, PLOY AWAY I say.

It's proper Mission: Impossible stuff if you ask me. Who was hurt by the FBI's deception? The goose who was sending the threats.

Maybe it's different in the states, but in Oz the police pull stuff like this all the time to catch out the villains.

• Like 3

If some prick was send bomb threats to the school I work at, and the only way to catch them was through a cunningly conceived ploy, PLOY AWAY I say.

It's proper Mission: Impossible stuff if you ask me. Who was hurt by the FBI's deception? The goose who was sending the threats.

Maybe it's different in the states, but in Oz the police pull stuff like this all the time to catch out the villains.

I suppose the question is, as it always is with these "Sting" operations, which came first, the plot or the sting? In this case it seems that he was already a suspect, so he'd already made these bomb threats, before the FBI got on the case, so that I suppose there's a case for arguing that it's all fair what they do to get him. Where these things do get fishy is where they're "proactive" in setting up these stings, i.e. they invent some plot and try to lure some gullible sap into going along with it. Now that is fishy.

I suppose the question is, as it always is with these "Sting" operations, which came first, the plot or the sting? In this case it seems that he was already a suspect, so he'd already made these bomb threats, before the FBI got on the case, so that I suppose there's a case for arguing that it's all fair what they do to get him. Where these things do get fishy is where they're "proactive" in setting up these stings, i.e. they invent some plot and try to lure some gullible sap into going along with it. Now that is fishy.

Fishy?

I'd call that entrapment, which is (last time I checked) rather illegal.

• Like 1

Well, indeed, yes, but it seems to be a favourite tactic of those who protect us. It seems to have been the way that nearly all of the Terror plots that they claim to have Foiled have been foiled.

I'm shocked that the government co-opts the media when it deems fit.

/sarcasm.

kids ... and entrapment tactics ~ seems to me to be a sure fire high rates of success in nabbing whatever and whomever they deems and seems fit ~

^^^^^ this is how they should go about that PA guy that they said killed a cop, and who they can not catch for more than a mouth, not ruin the lives of entire city, cancel hunting season and helloween parade and waste millions on nothing, not to mention they look more stupid and incompetent every day.

They just caught him! Less than a mile away from my mother in law's house...

that is a good news, at least kids can have their Halloween back.

It is great news..didn't quote you to argue, quoted you out of excitement. This one hits close to home. We were there this weekend, and we were playing outside with my kids literally probably 1/2 mile away from him. My wife went to high school with him, so she has been following this whole story like a hawk.