Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sabretooth cats threatened most ancient human

Still Waters

Humankind's oldest known ancestor probably lived in fear of several large sabretooth cats that roamed the same ancient lakeside habitat in Africa.

Palaeontologists have identified two new sabretooth species among fossils unearthed at Toros Menalla in Chad.

In 2001, a team unearthed remains of a seven million-year-old human-like creature - or hominid - known as "Toumai" at the central African site.

Its discoverers argue that Toumai is the oldest hominid known to science.

The fossilised skull of Toumai (which means "hope of life" in the local Dazaga language of Chad) was found in the Djurab desert by a team led by Michael Brunet of the University of Poitiers, France.

The position of a hole at the bottom of the skull called the foramen magnum suggests that Toumai (Sahelanthropus tchadensis) walked upright - an important signature of the human lineage.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• user107026

• Boe

• d e v i c e

• The Silver Thong

My theory is; not all early mans ancestors ran from threatening predators such as the sabre tooth cats. Some went on the offensive.

No, more like "cardio cardio cardio" and obesity was non-existent because you did not stand to fight such large animals but ran. On the flip side of the coin this means that the fitter more robust individuals lived to pass on genetic material. Your chances of being injured are almost at 100%. Any injury could very well mean death later from infection or just being disabled. I learned once that the furs that were associated with ancient people were not massive tiger pelts or dire bear cloaks but rabbit. Rabbits are much easier to pick on. There are several theories as to why these large pedators disappeared. My thoughts as most likely because of climate change, no seriously. Climate was warming and food was moving with it as well as humans who also shared the same animals as food. Not the best answer but the one I tend to go with.

Interesting, though rabbits would have been a food source. Dangerouse sabre tooth tigers, no. So my point is, numbers of individuals would have turned to drive these predators off, to protect their group, despite the risk, rather than continually retreat. This is where early man devaloped what we see today in many people as courage. That's my belief.

god does not create man eating cats

Except for lions, tigers and leopards...but who's counting, right?

Except for lions, tigers and leopards...but who's counting, right?

on the planet earth these cats dont eat human beings only when starved to death or threatened

on the planet earth these cats dont eat human beings only when starved to death or threatened

and I'd imagine those sabretooths got pretty hungry sometimes.

extremely rarely the prefered other animals

I think that's something you can't know for sure. If palaeontology has taught us anything, it's that we are discovering things all the time that may contradict our previous understandings of the past.

Recent news reports a study that suggests T-rex had a predominantly vegetarian diet. Go figure.

My theory is; not all early mans ancestors ran from threatening predators such as the sabre tooth cats. Some went on the offensive.

I agree. There must have been some groups that would at least try to take these cats down. How successful they were is another story ; )

I think that's something you can't know for sure. If palaeontology has taught us anything, it's that we are discovering things all the time that may contradict our previous understandings of the past.

Recent news reports a study that suggests T-rex had a predominantly vegetarian diet. Go figure.

i'm a 100 percent sure

i'm a 100 percent sure

How?

Yes, and it seems quite likely to me that homonids would have been very easy prey to predators like sabre toothed cats. Meat is meat. We certainly couldn't out run them. So early man must've stood his ground at some point and prevented ongoing attacks. I'd say using crude weapons. Branches, stones and sharp peices of wood. Even modern Chimps and Gorillas will charge when threatened. Chimps will wave bits of branches around.

i'm a 100 percent sure

lol damn. You'd make an awesome lawyer.

"Your honor, my client is innocent. I'm 100% sure. The defense rests."

The Toumai is very primitive compared to man and is most likely related to modern gorillas. It's not even a fact that they were bipedal. I would bet that they didn't stand much of a chance against saber tooths and other creatures. Basically, they would have had much of the same skill as many other primates. Only instinct would have made them defensive. Perhaps, as a group, they could overwhelm larger predators. Although you have to remember that not much is known of them. Only a partial skull has been found.

As far as their eating habits go, we can only speculate. They had canines and molars so, they were most likely omnivores.

Could people please note that this is the science section, not the Spirituality vs Skepticism forum. Scientific debate is welcomed here, but please could you take religious debate to the correct place.

user107026,

you have been asked before to keep on topic and to make religious based comments in the correct forums, namely the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs and Spirituality vs Skepticism forums. Also, in future, please do not repost comments that have been removed by a moderator.

Thank you.

the creator of the universe did not create sabertooth's with the intentions of them feeding on humans there is no debating it

the creator of the universe did not create sabertooth's with the intentions of them feeding on humans there is no debating it

If god created everything why didn't he make us shark proof lol your argument is funny

Edited by The Silver Thong

If god created everything why didn't he make us shark proof lol your argument is funny

your arguments not funny it's just insanely idotic lol

your arguments not funny it's just insanely idotic lol

:w00t:

Your right :tu:

Silver Thong don't feed this troll!

Well I have to admit, sometimes it adds a bit to the mundane lol