Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US state considers baby drop-off boxes

Still Waters

Indiana could be the first US state to introduce baby boxes - anonymous drop-off points designed to prevent the deaths of abandoned infants.

Many states allow parents to hand over infants at public facilities, but the boxes have not been used in the US.

The boxes offer people who will not give up a child in person an alternative to abandonment or infanticide, proponents say.

But they have been criticised in Europe and Asia, where they are more common.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-31666050

Err ummmm. I don't know how I feel about this.

On one hand It means peoe are more likely to give the kid away to a place where it will be cared for.

on the other hand this kind of means we support people having kids and just throwing them away

According to the religious right and social conservatives, abortion is "infanticide" (opens a can of worms might derail this thread). It's a good cause to ensure abandoned infants are sent to orphanages where they can be adopted by parents desperate for a child. If the woman opposes abortion based on her personal beliefs and convictions, then she'll have to bear a full-term pregnancy and simply give up the unwanted infant...she shouldn't "have" to or be told to from others (BFs, parents or churches). Locally, we have BabySafe drop-off locations in police stations, fire stations and I believe hospitals.

• Like 1

On one hand It means peoe are more likely to give the kid away to a place where it will be cared for.

on the other hand this kind of means we support people having kids and just throwing them away

People have unwanted births. That's just a fa t and it's not going to change. With abortions slowly becoming less accessible that number of unwanted births s just going to increase.

• Like 3

It is a path that a scared young woman can take...rather than killing her baby or leaving it in a dumpster. It is not going to encourage anyone to throw their baby away...it is encouraging them to NOT throw your baby away...save its life! Put it in the box. You have to be in a certain state of mind to throw your baby away...this gives an alternative for that state of mind.

• Like 8

What if after few years the mom comes back to claim her baby? What if she comes to know that the kid is adopted by some rich parents and try to blackmail them? The mother who is basically ditching her new born baby is certainly capable of above mentioned crime.

If she leaves the baby in the box I don't think she is going to be able to know what happen to the baby without having a paper trail. I don't really like the idea, because it doesn't seem safe to me for the baby. You can leave them at hospitals, and fire departments where there is someone there to take immediate care of the child.

• Like 2

What if after few years the mom comes back to claim her baby? What if she comes to know that the kid is adopted by some rich parents and try to blackmail them? The mother who is basically ditching her new born baby is certainly capable of above mentioned crime.

This sounds just like a lifetime movie I was watching the other day.

Anyway, just because a women doesn't feel capable of raising her child doesn't mean she's irresponsible and vindictive enough to do something outlined like that.

• Like 3

Babybox is a fairly disgusting idea.

If only there was a system, under the control of the woman, where she could take something, I don't know like a pill or something, to prevent unwanted conceptions. Sigh. Maybe one day.

• Like 4

If only there was a system, under the control of the woman, where she could take something, I don't know like a pill or something, to prevent unwanted conceptions. Sigh. Maybe one day.

Haha just adding to what you said, I think the real losers here are those babies. This system might encourage women to abandon babies even if it causes them slight inconvenience.

• Like 1

I'm all for birth control, and i'm pretty openly pro-choice.

That said, reality dictates that the country seems to disagree, so if these kids are gonna be born to the destitute, or the irresponsible, then I think these boxes are best for them. I've never looked up the process for putting a child up for adoption, but I doubt its as simple as "put kid in a box, close box, walk away"

So, the simpler the process is for these kids to have a good life, the better.

• Like 3

Well, ya know...We live in a real world where...reality...dictates what people do. Reality is that many women for whatever reason have sex without contraceptives and many of them are younger females and many of those become pregnant the first time they have sex.

The rest of Reality is that many of these women who do become pregnant are in situations where...they really don't know what to do...they have their babies in an alley...or in a public restroom or in their private bathroom...and they put their babies in a sack and hide them in a dumpster. Or they smother them and put them in a dumpster or they bury them in their back yard...and on and on and on...

That's reality. That is what is disgusting. By providing a safe place where they can put their baby...they have an option...it seems disgusting...but it is an option that is geared toward saving a babies life. Would you rather have baby A found dead in a dumpster...or found alive in a Baby Box?

• Like 5

Well, ya know...We live in a real world where...reality...dictates what people do. Reality is that many women for whatever reason have sex without contraceptives and many of them are younger females and many of those become pregnant the first time they have sex.

Okay...hold up...keep your pants on...literally . It's about time you man boys started taking more responsibility in the contraceptive department. Only an idiot would take a one night stand's word for it they are on the pill or any other type of birth control, not to mention the diseases that are out there. Hell, you shouldn't even trust a woman you've dated four or five times. It's like you guys are not culpable at all!

Give me a break! Many years ago I chose not to have kids so don't cry me a river about men not having a choice In the matter.

• Like 4

Okay...hold up...keep your pants on...literally . It's about time you man boys started taking more responsibility in the contraceptive department. Only an idiot would take a one night stand's word for it they are on the pill or any other type of birth control, not to mention the diseases that are out there. Hell, you shouldn't even trust a woman you've dated four or five times. It's like you guys are not culpable at all!

Give me a break! Many years ago I chose not to have kids so don't cry me a river about men not having a choice In the matter.

:unsure2: Did I touch a nerve or something.... :cry:

• Like 1

:unsure2: Did I touch a nerve or something.... :cry:

Yup, for every idiot that participated in getting a girl pregnant and declared themselves "innocent". Like I said, I always made sure it didn't happen to me because I never wanted to be a mother. The guys rarely gave it a second thought, which was a recurring theme among my classmates, unless the guys were given no other choice and as long as they "got some". 30 years later it hasn't changed at all.

It makes my wonder when "men" are going to step up to the plate...if ever.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

Yup, for every idiot that participated in getting a girl pregnant and declared themselves "innocent". Like I said, I always made sure it didn't happen to me because I never wanted to be a mother. The guys rarely gave it a second thought, which was a recurring theme among my classmates, unless the guys were given no other choice and were getting some. 30 years later it hasn't changed at all.

Regardless of who is to 'blame' for an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy...again...the reality is that they happen...they happen often...and girls and women do unfortunately find themselves in a situation ...scared, alone, uninformed, whatever...that don't know what to do with this...baby...that now is out of them and in their arms...they can't tell anyone...they kept their pregnancy secret...whatever the reason in their head is for getting rid of the baby...if they know there is a place they can go and leave it...maybe they will.

• Like 1

Regardless of who is to 'blame' for an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy...again...the reality is that they happen...they happen often...and girls and women do unfortunately find themselves in a situation ...scared, alone, uninformed, whatever...that don't know what to do with this...baby...that now is out of them and in their arms...they can't tell anyone...they kept their pregnancy secret...whatever the reason in their head is for getting rid of the baby...if they know there is a place they can go and leave it...maybe they will.

I think there should be a drop off for kids when their parents can't deal with them any longer at any age. :tu:

You know, I feel like a lot of people are getting hung up on the concept of a "box" like it is a cold, dark thing you place the baby in and hope for the best. It would probably be a warm, cozy box, lined with blankets and other soft deliciousness. I hope they make adult versions ASAP, Nap Boxes, where we can just snuggle into one. That wouldn't be awkward right? You just run over to a nap box on your lunch break from work and take a mini snooze.

I need to go to bed.

• Like 8

I'm going to make an analogy here, so I want to start with a disclaimer: yeah, I know babies are not puppies. That said....

Years ago, our (now defunct) local SPCA had what was essentially a "night deposit kennel." I live in an area where it's not unheard of for a certain demographic to get pets on a whim, then discard them on a whim when they became inconvenient, and if I had to guess, I'd say the night deposit kennel may have started partly because of this. The idea was anyone could come after hours without facing SPCA staff and trying to come up with some reason other than "I got this animal on a whim and now it doesn't fit my lifestyle." Without having to face up to this shame, someone could simply lock their unwanted animal safely and securely in the night kennel, where it had inside/outside access and water and where SPCA workers would find it in the morning.

Side note: we adopted one of the night deposit dogs, who lived out his next 12 1/2 years with us. System worked.

I don't see this baby idea as any different in theory: the baby box system removes the threat of shame and allows a scared girl/woman to choose life for her baby rather than a plastic bag and a dumpster. And sadly, some girls choose the latter rather than deal with their fears and shame. Why not give them a positive option they can feel good about?

• Like 4

Yup, for every idiot that participated in getting a girl pregnant and declared themselves "innocent". Like I said, I always made sure it didn't happen to me because I never wanted to be a mother. The guys rarely gave it a second thought, which was a recurring theme among my classmates, unless the guys were given no other choice and as long as they "got some". 30 years later it hasn't changed at all.

I have strong feelings that matches what you are saying here, in one sense. I often wonder how it can be instructed to both parties how they should accept responsibility for everything. I personally think it is so very complicated. I see your points, I also see joc's. And, it's good you are being responsible. I just don't think one can safeguard getting pregnant 100% of the time. Unless of course, you don't do it. And considering varying areas and the lack of instruction in some schools, and the some institutions, (doctors, schools, parents) some help, some don't. Some find it hard to contraceptives. I made sure I didn't either until I wanted to, but there were close calls.

And of course, there is also stigma here that makes it hard to give up a child in the open. I have seen so many times how the mothers are vilified in the news for dropping them off at fire departments and the like

I just see this as something that probably needs to be done, even if it sounds 'cold' and such. Like some here have stated, it is better they are dropped off here and given the chance to live than dumped off somewhere else and die. That has happened over and over again. Seen too much of this. It during this, that makes me ask not only why but how is it that is driving mothers to abandon their children to the worst? This solution is something to cure the death of unwanted babies, not the practice of abandoning them which no matter how you look at it, have and will happen all over and all through time.

You raise a great point. Men always have the option to insist on wearing a condom.

• Like 2

Yeah, dudes are almost always as responsible in pregnancy...like, biologically, it's just not possible otherwise, unless the woman raped a guy and she got pregnant from that.

But that small possibility aside, I don't see how this factors in.

Take away who's to blame, it's still a problem that needs a solution that minimizes suffering for all involved.

This box thing seems to be the best option for the immediate future.

• Like 1

I like this idea. Can you drop off a 14 year old? I love babies but I don't get 14 year old boys.

• Like 1

I have strong feelings that matches what you are saying here, in one sense. I often wonder how it can be instructed to both parties how they should accept responsibility for everything. I personally think it is so very complicated. I see your points, I also see joc's. And, it's good you are being responsible. I just don't think one can safeguard getting pregnant 100% of the time. Unless of course, you don't do it. And considering varying areas and the lack of instruction in some schools, and the some institutions, (doctors, schools, parents) some help, some don't. Some find it hard to contraceptives. I made sure I didn't either until I wanted to, but there were close calls.

And of course, there is also stigma here that makes it hard to give up a child in the open. I have seen so many times how the mothers are vilified in the news for dropping them off at fire departments and the like

I just see this as something that probably needs to be done, even if it sounds 'cold' and such. Like some here have stated, it is better they are dropped off here and given the chance to live than dumped off somewhere else and die. That has happened over and over again. Seen too much of this. It during this, that makes me ask not only why but how is it that is driving mothers to abandon their children to the worst? This solution is something to cure the death of unwanted babies, not the practice of abandoning them which no matter how you look at it, have and will happen all over and all through time.

I think abortion is indeed a responsible choice. I don't call it irresponsibility at all. I call it having foresight.

• Like 1