Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Motor City going down.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,498 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

I grew up in SE Michigan, this makes me kind of sad. I suppose they could bulldoze it  and turn it back in to farmland. :hmm:

DETROIT (AP) - Once the very symbol of American industrial might, Detroit became the biggest U.S. city to file for bankruptcy Thursday, its finances ravaged and its neighborhoods hollowed out by a long, slow decline in population and auto manufacturing.
The filing, which had been feared for months, put the city on an uncertain course that could mean laying off municipal employees, selling off assets, raising fees and scaling back basic services such as trash collection and snow plowing, which have already been slashed.
"Only one feasible path offers a way out," Gov. Rick Snyder said in a letter approving the move.

http://apnews.myway..../DA7K6LF01.html

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,727 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Wow, it's finally official then? Sucktacular. Wonder what that means for the EFM's?

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Somehow shocking and not surprising at the same time.

Sad news indeed.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 18 July 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Somehow shocking and not surprising at the same time.

What, you didn't believe President Obama when he boasted that he didn't let Detroit go bankrupt last year?

#5    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,727 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postredhen, on 18 July 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

What, you didn't believe President Obama when he boasted that he didn't let Detroit go bankrupt last year?

Can't really say I believed him or not.. But Detroit didn't go bankrupt last year.

But maybe with this, Detroit can progress to being known as the garden city. Trying to be hopeful about that.

#6    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

Obama campaigned on him having saved detriot.  Obama care turned out to be a complete lie.  Which I suspected.  Further I still say it was only passed to force the country onto a single payer.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,515 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

so what happens now?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,482 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

View Postrashore, on 18 July 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Wonder what that means for the EFM's?
whass an EFM Rashore?
(i'm british. mee no speekee yankee!!)
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,331 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Its sad but bound to happen.  They have been having problems for years.  I wouldn't want to live there and I doubt big businesses see it as a good place to be.

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

This would be a great time to buy realistate there.  If you can hold on to it, until the city turns around somewhere after the econimy recovers.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,727 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

View Postshrooma, on 19 July 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

whass an EFM Rashore?
(i'm british. mee no speekee yankee!!)
:-)

Emergency Fiscal Manager. Basically a person appointed by the governor to take over the fiscal affairs of a city or school system in fiscal trouble. They overrule the elected officials and make decisions in their place. Some work with officials, some just overrule. They are supposed to hopefully pull the city or school system out of trouble so declaring bankruptcy isn't necessary. They do stuff like make or break contracts, can dissolve plats, sell public property off to private companies. And they are paid out of the troubled cities or school systems bankroll. Detroit has a city and a school system EFM, so I wonder what part they will play during bankruptcy.

#12    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,747 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

That is sad. I remember back in my teens Detroit was a brand name, an icon. If I ever and up in north america it was the must see city for me. Now, since 15 years I drive thru, stoped once for a pack of cigarets and made it out alive. I look at this great city acrosd the detroit river, it is still amazing from far away. I hope they clean up their mess soon becausr I would love to have a beer there.

#13    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,498 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

We used to go to Windsor on the other side of the river to party,  because we thought it was safer.   Detroit was always a rough town. I lived about 50 miles north of Detroit in what was considered Detroit's body dumping ground. Jimmy Hoffa lived in my home town. You couldn't pay me to go back to live in SE Michigan. The  Lake Michigan side is nice I wouldn't mind living there.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#14    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,425 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

View Postrashore, on 18 July 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Can't really say I believed him or not.. But Detroit didn't go bankrupt last year.

But maybe with this, Detroit can progress to being known as the garden city. Trying to be hopeful about that.

Yea, it would have been bad for his campagn if it had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users