Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Judge rules on human rights of paedophiles

sarahs law paedophiles human rights

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 24 October 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Sorry. We seem to protect the rights of the offenders over the rights of the victims or of society. We can't tell people that their neighbour is a sex offender because of privacy concerns. What about the little girl living next door? Does she have a right to be protected? Can her parents be told so that they can put in place extra security measures?

Why should their rights take precedence over someone elses right to live their live without their children being sexually abused?

Well right, but like I said, this argument could be made for any felon. I should have the right to know if my neighbor was convicted of a violent crime or if they deal drugs out of their house...the list goes on and on. The point of this debate is that pedophiles and sex offenders are being singled out from other convicted felons and criminals. That is the problem. Granted I think a pedophile's crime is probably the worse their is, but a sex offender's may not be. Yet they are singled out by the system and by the community.

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 24 October 2012 - 08:01 PM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#17    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 24 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Well right, but like I said, this argument could be made for any felon. I should have the right to know if my neighbor was convicted of a violent crime or if they deal drugs out of their house...the list goes on and on. The point of this debate is that pedophiles and sex offenders are being singled out from other convicted felons and criminals. That is the problem. Granted I think a pedophile's crime is probably the worse their is, but a sex offender's may not be. Yet they are singled out by the system and by the community.

I don't have an issue with a register being extended to violent crimes either. But arguing that i shouldn't have the right to know that a paedophile lives next door because violent criminals don't have to register is a nonsense.

#18    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 24 October 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

I don't have an issue with a register being extended to violent crimes either. But arguing that i shouldn't have the right to know that a paedophile lives next door because violent criminals don't have to register is a nonsense.

That is your opinion.

But just so we are clear...you believe pedophiles have less rights than other convicted criminals?

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...

#19    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 24 October 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

That is your opinion.

But just so we are clear...you believe pedophiles have less rights than other convicted criminals?

So..   exactly which constitutional "right" are you referring to?

#20    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

That is your opinion.

I believe that paedophiles should have less rights than me, yes. I also believe that rapists and murderers should be locked up indefinitely.

I believe that if you have infringed someones rights to such a level you shouldn't be so concerned about your own.

#21    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

That is your opinion.

They brand and scar thier victims for life. I only see it fitting that they themselves are branded what they are.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#22    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 24 October 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

So..   exactly which constitutional "right" are you referring to?

First off, stop it. You are totally ignoring my point because you are upset about what I am saying...SO LISTEN CLEARLY TO ME BELOW.

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 24 October 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

I believe that paedophiles should have less rights than me, yes. I also believe that rapists and murderers should be locked up indefinitely.

I believe that if you have infringed someones rights to such a level you shouldn't be so concerned about your own.

I am not saying that pedophiles should have the same rights as you or any other non-convicted person.

I am saying the should have the same treatment as any other convicted criminal.

This should be common sense, but since a few of you seem not to be able to reason through that, I will give you this...
It is called Cruel and Unusual Punishment. I find it to be UNUSUAL that sex offenders are treated differently than other convicted criminals. I also find it CRUEL to make someone involved in druken sex register as a sex offender.

I know a guy that has a son (age 12) that has Aspergers syndrome, and other issues. The boy inappropriately touched his sister. The school is not pushing to get him tried as an adult and registered as a sex offender AT THE AGE OF 12. I find that CRUEL AND UNUSUAL.

Edit: Personally I think all felons should be taken out back and hung...but see, that is an equal punishment to all. See the difference?

If anyone compares their rights to the rights of pedophiles, from here on out, I will assume you are a pedophile. Deal?

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 24 October 2012 - 08:40 PM.

My "about me" page...

#23    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 24 October 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

You could make that argument for anyone conviced of a violent crime or felony...

and IMO, we should.  We are giving the criminals so many rights that the law abiding citizens are losing theirs.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#24    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostGrey14, on 24 October 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

They brand and scar thier victims for life. I only see it fitting that they themselves are branded what they are.

So does someone that pours gasoline on someone and lights them on fire. So does someone that takes a hammer and smashes someone's face in. Yet they do not have to register and put signs in their front yards for what they did. Also, you are assuming all sex offenders are pedophiles.

View Postglorybebe, on 24 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

and IMO, we should.  We are giving the criminals so many rights that the law abiding citizens are losing theirs.

Finally...someone understands what I am saying...

My "about me" page...

#25    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 24 October 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Finally...someone understands what I am saying...

I guess because of an experience I am dealing with, yes, I believe that the victims should be protected, not give the perps rights.  They lost their rights.  In BC, a criminal gets cable, internet, free college education, proper nutrition- I am a single mom, I can't afford cable, internet (thanks to library I get to still have access), trying to pay off student loans, struggling with bills/groceries and I abide from the law!  Why shoudl the criminals get special rights?  There are starving children who have to get breakfast at school, who don't get clothes, never mind NEW clothes and we are paying for these creeps to live in prison and when they get out they are to have their rights?  It really frustrates me.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#26    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I don't know where you live, but round here we trust our neighbours. I don't even lock my doors when i go to work. It's a sorry state of society where you treat everyone you meet as an offender instead of singling out the .01% percent who have actually proven they cannot be trusted.

So you let neighbors who you don't know very well watch your young children?

That's find for you, but that's often how kids end up abused.

When it comes to my kids, everyone I don't know very well is a potential threat, and will not be left in a position to hurt them.

What about the little girl living next door? Does she have a right to be protected?

Of course she does. Which is why we have laws to protect her and to catch those that harm people. Her right to be protected does not extend past other people's rights though.

She has a right to be protected from being hit by a car. So we put up child at play signs, we have speed limits, we give tickets to offenders. But we don't ban people from driving cars.

Can her parents be told so that they can put in place extra security measures?

Like what?

maybe... let's see... not letting their small child be in the care of someone they don't know well, not letting her sleep over someone's house when they don't know the parent's well, not letting her wander around the neighborhood alone and unsupervised...

hmm.. these are all things that I do already.

What else are you going to do?

Again, unless i know you very well, my kid is not ever out of my sight with you. And that's how all kids should be raised when they are young and defenseless. If you want to live in fairy land where you want to let your kid be unsupervised with casual neighbors, go right ahead. But I wish you would protect your own kids and not look to the gov't to tell you how or "warn" you, even at the expense of a criminal who has done their time.

And another point, this really is a bunch of horseshit. If the recidivism rate for sex offenders is so high, maybe they should have more permanent sentences. And we also should stop labeling 19 year old boys who get oral sex from 16 year old girlfriends with the same label as 40 year old men who rape toddlers.

This is an emotional issue, which means that, as is in evidence, a lot of people will just make emotional statements instead of thinking rationally. Protect your own children, protect your own rights, protect the rights of your society as a whole.

#27    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 24 October 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

I guess because of an experience I am dealing with, yes, I believe that the victims should be protected, not give the perps rights.  They lost their rights.  In BC, a criminal gets cable, internet, free college education, proper nutrition- I am a single mom, I can't afford cable, internet (thanks to library I get to still have access), trying to pay off student loans, struggling with bills/groceries and I abide from the law!  Why shoudl the criminals get special rights?  There are starving children who have to get breakfast at school, who don't get clothes, never mind NEW clothes and we are paying for these creeps to live in prison and when they get out they are to have their rights?  It really frustrates me.

I understand your frustration. Prison here is a joke. I just think it should be equal, not special...and if that equal involves taking them out back and hanging them...so be it. What we should do is send them to Russia...those guys know how to run a prison...

My "about me" page...

#28    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 24 October 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

And another point, this really is a bunch of horseshit. If the recidivism rate for sex offenders is so high, maybe they should have more permanent sentences. And we also should stop labeling 19 year old boys who get oral sex from 16 year old girlfriends with the same label as 40 year old men who rape toddlers.

This is an emotional issue, which means that, as is in evidence, a lot of people will just make emotional statements instead of thinking rationally. Protect your own children, protect your own rights, protect the rights of your society as a whole.

Exactly. Sex offender does not mean pedophile. How many years did that poor boy get? Was it like 12 or something like that, or was it more? For getting consentual oral sex from his girl friend...

My "about me" page...

#29    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Office of the Attorney General  . Megans Law

Megan's Law - Facts about Sex Offenders
Let us see how much we know-and see how much of what we think has been based on the myths we have all heard about sexual assault and sex offenders. Take 5 minutes to complete the True or False Quiz:

Most men who commit sexual offenses do not know their victim.

False.
90% of child victims know their offender, with almost half of the offenders being a family member. Of sexual assaults against people age 12 and up, approximately 80% of the victims know the offender.   

Most sexual assaults are committed by someone of the same race as the victim.

True.
Most sexual assaults are committed by someone of the same race as the victim. An exception to this is that people who commit sexual assault against Native Americans are usually not Native American (American Indians and Crime, 1999).   

Most child sexual abusers use physical force or threat to gain compliance from their victims.

False.
In the majority of cases, abusers gain access to their victims through deception and enticement, seldom using force. Abuse typically occurs within a long-term, ongoing relationship between the offender and victim and escalates over time.

Most child sexual abusers find their victims by frequenting such places as schoolyards and playgrounds.

False.
Most child sexual abusers offend against children whom they know and with whom they have established a relationship. Many sexual assaults of adult women are considered "confidence rapes," in that the offender knows the victim and has used that familiarity to gain access to her.

Only men commit sexual assault.

False.
While most sex offenders are male, sometimes sex offenses are committed by female offenders.   

Child sexual abusers are only attracted to children and are not capable of appropriate sexual relationships.

False.
While there is a small subset of child sexual abusers who are exclusively attracted to children, the majority of the individuals who sexually abuse children are (or have previously been) attracted to adults.

More on this  - http://meganslaw.ca.gov/facts.htm

On Sky news  not that ago.. the showed some similar statistics.. not as high as 90 %.. but I think it was 47 %  of the child victims.. actually knew their attackers well, some of which were family members..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#30    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

90% of child victims know their offender, with almost half of the offenders being a family member. Of sexual assaults against people age 12 and up, approximately 80% of the victims know the offender.    

Right.

And that's why I don't let anyone interact with my kids unless I know them very, very well for a long time.

It's the neighbor that you've known for a few years who seems so nice who ends up touching your kid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users