Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Workers unearth 'Black Death' plague pit

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostJackofalltrades, on 16 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yet !

Just because it has not so far does not mean to say that it will not now or in the future

Nobody is ever going to be in any danger when medieval plague pits are unearthed.

As it says here:

"However, there is no risk to people's health now because the plague bacteria cannot survive long in the soil, Crossrail says."

http://edition.cnn.c...tons/index.html

This is only a bacterium, not a virus.  And, in any case, you need to have someone who has the disease already breathe on you, or you need to be bitten by infected fleas, in order to catch the disease.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 16 March 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think the reason for the journalistic pedantry, if it is not just lack of awareness, is that there are readers who will look up the conversion table and multiply it out and write them if they didn't carry out the calculation "correctly."  It sounds like the journalist is in a no-win situation.

#33    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 March 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think the reason for the journalistic pedantry, if it is not just lack of awareness, is that there are readers who will look up the conversion table and multiply it out and write them if they didn't carry out the calculation "correctly."  It sounds like the journalist is in a no-win situation.

LOL. Frank I did just that, I checked my calculations and a Boeing 747-8 weighs 81.45 average elephants.

Back on topic, BBC News reports
" Antibiotics resistance 'as big a risk as terrorism' - medical chief". The likelihood of catching the plague is low compared to dying from another antibiotic resistant bacteria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-21737844

Edited by 27vet, 16 March 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#34    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Getting a bit OT, but it seems to me that the arguments for the Metric system are really arguments for a world-standard measuring system. It may be that such systems are perfectly arbitrary, so that the Metric system will do as well as any other, but it may also be that there are units that are more 'natural' for people: if "one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi..." approximates seconds, then presumably there is a shorter, 'natural', interval which people can count as "One, two...." Likewise units of mass,  length, temperature and so on.

A world-standard system is obviously a Good Thing: but it doesn't necessarily follow that the Metric system is the best possible design for one.

#35    Nasty Gash

Nasty Gash

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 16 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Anyone with any common sense would say "ten feet" instead of being so pedantic.

This one of the more intelligent comments I have ever read on this forum.   Logical, rational, short and simple.  Thank you my good man or woman.

#36    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,009 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostNasty Gash, on 16 March 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

This one of the more intelligent comments I have ever read on this forum.   Logical, rational, short and simple.  Thank you my good man or woman.
Um gun is a man,

#37    Nasty Gash

Nasty Gash

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 March 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Um gun is a man,

"Man" it be then!  @TheLastLazyGun, thank you my good man!

And  @The New Tricky Dick, for the enlightenment, thank you my good man or woman!

#38    Geldoblam

Geldoblam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

They just unleashed the 28 days later virus..

#39    Sparkcool

Sparkcool

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

During the Black death, bodies were at first buried. but as the mortality rate increased, burying the bodies became too laborious the churches began to burn the bodies.

#40    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

View Post27vet, on 16 March 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

LOL. Frank I did just that, I checked my calculations and a Boeing 747-8 weighs 81.45 average elephants.

Indian or African? :whistle:

Posted Image

#41    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,255 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I had a teacher who was a real 'bug' about the metric system... She insisted once that we work a problem involving velocity but not show it as "English" (unfortunately for her she did not specifically state "Use metric")... So I showed my answer in FPF (Furlongs per fortnight).... I got an A (but a stern talking to)...

I would like to add (a bit ON topic)... That apparently Mr. ealdwita really knows his buboes!

Edited by Taun, 12 April 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#42    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

The States insists on using the "English" system even though the English don't.  This has several times lead to genuine disasters because of lax attention to units of measure.  There is also the way Americans insist on showing dates, that makes my passport and visas so confusing and that I have to pay close attention to whenever I'm filling out forms in that country.

I think the US loses economically with this stubbornness, and they certainly are seen as arrogant because of it.  What really p***es me though is that because of this US attitude the rest of the world has to spend time teaching an obsolete and difficult measuring system over and above their own.

#43    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

The States insists on using the "English" system even though the English don't.  This has several times lead to genuine disasters because of lax attention to units of measure. There is also the way Americans insist on showing dates, that makes my passport and visas so confusing and that I have to pay close attention to whenever I'm filling out forms in that country.

I take it you mean like the terrorist attacks of 11/9

Posted Image

#44    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

As far as the date format goes, I think month, day, year is best because that is the way we say it.

View PostSparkcool, on 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

During the Black death, bodies were at first buried. but as the mortality rate increased, burying the bodies became too laborious the churches began to burn the bodies.

...............ashes, ashes we all fall down.

#45    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,357 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

View Postealdwita, on 15 March 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

The bacterium Yersinia pestis which caused Bubonic plague cannot survive being buried in the ground for any length of time, so unless you get too close to somebody who is on intimate terms with Xenopsia cheopis (the Oriental Rat Flea) then your chances of growing lumps under your armpits are minimal!

The bubonic plague has an unusual course.  In an epidemic about 2/3 of the people infected early will die, but as it passes from person to person it usually loses a lot of its virulence and people infected toward the end have more like a 10-15% mortality rate.  It is probably a lot the same thing as attenuating viruses for vaccines.  Humans are not the natural host and as it is serially passed from person to person the bacteria changes.  During the black plaque there must have been a very virulent strain that was well adapted to humans or several strains.  There are antibiotics that can treat bubonic plaque now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users