Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Master modeller crafts 463-ship armada

philip warren model aircrafts 463-ship armada matchsticks matchboxes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Philip Warren, 82, has dedicated his entire adult life to crafting the matchstick armada and has built every class of ship in the Royal Navy since 1945.

Each ship in his huge collection is extremely detailed and he has even built miniature model aircrafts to go with his 3ft long carrier ships.

The vessels are all painstakingly hand made using just a ruler, razor blade and glue, and can take up to a year to complete.

http://www.telegraph...-and-boxes.html

This is him three years ago -

http://www.dailymail...-400-ships.html

Edited by Still Waters, 18 August 2013 - 12:02 PM.
Additional source link added

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

NEWSFLASH.........

Firefighters have been tackling a blaze at the Blandford, Dorset home of retired company director Philip Warren. It appears the fire started in the pensioner's garage. Mr Warren cannot be located at this time, and it has been rumoured that he went down with his ship.

Seriously though...........How many of us out there thought we were sad people until we read this?!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Preferred the Daily Mails images, it puts them in to some kind of scale the USS Nimitz is amazing. Would love to see them in person.

Posted Image

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postxsas, on 18 August 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Preferred the Daily Mails images, it puts them in to some kind of scale the USS Nimitz is amazing. Would love to see them in person.
I wouldn't mind seeing them either. I think it's great what he's done.

Posted Image

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postealdwita, on 18 August 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Seriously though...........How many of us out there thought we were sad people until we read this?!

We can't all be international men of mystery, Eald.  Society would collapse without 'boring' people to do all the tedious work.  Am impressed by his models, and even more impressed that he found a wife.

#6    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Amazing eye for detail and great patients. He's painted them well, too. It's good to have a hobby. :)

#7    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

That's amazing. I could never do that--don't have the patience for it. I'd love to see it, though.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users