Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Last of 'Fatima vision' trio dies

Fluffybunny

LISBON, Portugal (Reuters) -- Lucia de Jesus dos Santos, the last of three children who claimed to see the Virgin Mary at Fatima and who revealed a vision the Catholic Church said foretold the attempt to kill Pope John Paul II, died on Sunday, the Church said.

Dos Santos, 97, who later became a nun, was the eldest of the shepherd children who in 1917 told of seeing apparitions of the Virgin Mary six times. She died at her Carmelite convent at Coimbra in central Portugal.

"She had been weak for several weeks and had not left her cell," Coimbra Bishop Albino Cleto told the Church's Radio Renascenca.

The Vatican interpreted one part of the visions as foretelling the attempt to kill the pope and Communism's persecution of Christianity. The apparitions took place the same year as the Russian Revolution.

The pope believes the Madonna of Fatima saved his life on May 13, 1981, when Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca nearly killed him in St Peter's Square. The shooting took place on one of the anniversaries of the 1917 apparitions.

In a sign of gratitude a year after the assassination attempt, the pope had one of the 9mm bullets which Agca fired at him placed in the crown of the statue at Fatima.

"One hand fired the bullet and another guided it," the pope once said of Agca's attempt to kill him.

Dos Santos was said by believers to be the main recipient of prophecies from the Virgin about key 20th century events.

The first two parts of the prophecies were known for decades. The first saw a vision of hell, the second predicted the outbreak of World War Two.

But it was the third part, the so-called third secret of Fatima, which kept the world intrigued for more than 80 years.

The Vatican revealed its interpretation of the vision during the pope's visit to Fatima in May 2000 on the anniversary of the assassination attempt. One of her last public appearances was with the pope at Fatima.

Dos Santos's recollection of the third part of the visions, which she wrote down in 1944, saw "a bishop dressed in white (and) we had the impression that it was the Holy Father."

As the vision continued, the children say the pope reaching the top of a mountain where "he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him."

Before the Vatican unveiled the vision, papal envoys visited Dos Santos in her cloistered convent to seek her opinion of the Vatican's interpretation and her permission to reveal it.

"She repeated her conviction that the vision of Fatima concerns above all the struggle of atheistic communism against the Church and against Christians, and describes the terrible sufferings of the victims of the faith in 20th century," a Vatican document said in 2000.

The document went on to say: "When asked: 'Is the principal figure in the vision the Pope?' Sister Lucia replied at once that it was.

Dos Santos was born the youngest of seven children in a peasant family in Aljustrel, a village in central Portugal.

The events at Fatima unfolded against a backdrop of religious persecution under anti-clerical factions that ruled Portugal after the overthrow of the monarchy in 1910.

In 1916 she experienced her first vision, when an angel appeared to the children, she wrote in her memoirs.

On May 13, 1917, the Virgin Mary appeared to her and her cousins Jacinta and Francisco Marta on an oak tree. On her last appearance before an estimated 50,000 onlookers, witnesses claim to have experienced a 15-minute spectacle of bright lights and rainbow colours.

In her memoirs, dos Santos said the Virgin Mary appeared to the children six times in 1917. Jacinta and Francisco died in the influenza pandemic in 1919 and 1920.

The two were beatified, the last step to sainthood, by Pope John Paul during his Fatima visit in 2000.

One of her last visitors was actor Mel Gibson, director of the 2004 movie "The Passion of The Christ." He met her at the convent in July 2004 and gave her a DVD of his movie.

Linky

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Ashley-Star*Child

• Bex

• poof-gone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks again Fluffy. Didn't know she died.

Thanks for posting.

It was said that before she died the beginning of the end would start. Can anyone say tsunami one day after Christmas?

As has been reported, for those who don't believe that people have visions, it was not just one person who saw strange happenings. 50,000 people saw it - and from seeing the movie which was based on their lives - it wasn't just bright lights, it poured down rain while Mary was there, then, the Sun got so close it was blinding (the 'bright lights' they talked of) and dried their clothing instantly. Tell those 50,000 people they are all delusional?

Ashley...There is another interpretation.

Seventy thousand people, many of them crippled and ill, stood in a pouring rain in a field outside Fatima, Portugal, in 1917 when a dazzling luminous disk descended through the clouds and manuevered overhead. Some thought the sun was falling. All felt a wave of heat so intense that it dried their drenched clothes instantly. Infirm people scattered throught the crowd gasped, their pain suddenly relieved by electrical waves surging through their bodies.

This was the miracle of Fatima.

Humming and buzzing sounds frequently accompany UFO manifestations (they were also heard at Fatima) and are a probably a physiological reaction to the radiations to the objects.

THE EIGHTH TOWER...John A. Keel

Many UFO sightings are exactly the same way...lights in the sky, objects turning many beautiful colors. Materializations and de-materializations of disks....(coming through the electromagnetic spectrum....from the superspectrum). The heat makes some witnesses so hot that they feel very uncomfortable in their clothes but they find that they cannot move their limbs. The UFO also makes some people fall unconscious and others go into a trance. Some people see the disk and others don't. Just like at Fatima...some saw the Virgin Mary ( the three) and others didn't. Some saw lights etc. and others didn't. Usually people with psyhic ability will see more and even hear messages during a UFO sighting or an event such as Fatima.

The witnesses to UFO's can be healed of their various ailments, wounds etc. etc. or on the opposite side, people have had eye inflamations, burns from radiation, sicknesses and many other symptoms from a sighting that can eventually lead to death.

I didn't know she died either. The last bit of information about the visions is very interesting.

A witness from a UFO sighting around Pt. Pleasant Virginia at the time of Mothman said that an alien gave him information about the pope being shot and killed. When this didn't happen people thought that the alien or UFO's were not correct all the time with their predictions. However a great deal of what they conveyed to people did come true. These were the Mothman Prophecies, you can read the book. Interesting, the interpretation the pope puts on his assasination attempt.

Does anyone have any more info. on the Fatima visions?

Found some more info. on Fatima.

...It seems that the pope was shot at when he reached down to hug a little girl with the Fatima badge on.

I think Fatima is very fascinating, something happened there, we just don't know what. blink.gif

Anyway, this site goes at Fatima from all different angles.

here

I didn't know she died.

Good find, thanks for posting.

good article.

i thought at first that the third prophecy was something much worse than the pope's assassination attempt, although that is bad, and it was still to come. this story is new to me as well. i had heard about the third prophecy from looking at the covers of tabloids at stores.

good article.

i thought at first that the third prophecy was something much worse than the pope's assassination attempt, although that is bad, and it was still to come. this story is new to me as well. i had heard about the third prophecy from looking at the covers of tabloids at stores.

490755[/snapback]

Yes, thank you Fluffy Bunny for posting. That poor woman, finally got to leave her cell at the Vatican.

It broke my heart that she was incarcerated in Isolation in the Vatican. What more horrible thing, than Isolation for what was it 60 years? or so? no.gif

The Pope fainted when he read the prophecy originally back in what was it, 1941? Why would he faint if all it said was that some future Pope would get shot at?

He was supposed to reveal it in 1960, but didn't. And in 1962 we almost had nuclear destruction in the Cuban Missile Crisis. People just don't realize how close that was.

I don't think we were told the Truth about what the original prophecy said. If so, why did Lucia have to be isolated all those years in the Vatican? She was not allowed to talk to anyone. Except the Pope, who then told us 40 years later, what it allegedly said, that we were supposed to hear in 1960.

Just my opinion.

good article.

490755[/snapback]

Yes, thank you Fluffy Bunny for posting. That poor woman, finally got to leave her cell at the Vatican.

It broke my heart that she was incarcerated in Isolation in the Vatican. What more horrible thing, than Isolation for what was it 60 years? or so? no.gif

The Pope fainted when he read the prophecy originally back in what was it, 1941? Why would he faint if all it said was that some future Pope would get shot at?

He was supposed to reveal it in 1960, but didn't. And in 1962 we almost had nuclear destruction in the Cuban Missile Crisis. People just don't realize how close that was.

I don't think we were told the Truth about what the original prophecy said. If so, why did Lucia have to be isolated all those years in the Vatican? She was not allowed to talk to anyone. Except the Pope, who then told us 40 years later, what it allegedly said, that we were supposed to hear in 1960.

Just my opinion.

491591[/snapback]

poof...Wow, I didn't know that. no.gif What do you think the pope was hiding? blink.gifblink.gifhmm.gif

The church hides a lot of things.... cool.gif

Seventy thousand people, many of them crippled and ill, stood in a pouring rain in a field outside Fatima, Portugal, in 1917 when a dazzling luminous disk descended through the clouds and manuevered overhead. Some thought the sun was falling. All felt a wave of heat so intense that it dried their drenched clothes instantly. Infirm people scattered throught the crowd gasped, their pain suddenly relieved by electrical waves surging through their bodies.

Humming and buzzing sounds frequently accompany UFO manifestations (they were also heard at Fatima) and are a probably a physiological reaction to the radiations to the objects.

Many UFO sightings are exactly the same way...lights in the sky, objects turning many beautiful colors. Materializations and de-materializations of disks....(coming through the electromagnetic spectrum....from the superspectrum). The heat makes some witnesses so hot that they feel very uncomfortable in their clothes but they find that they cannot move their limbs. The UFO also makes some people fall unconscious and others go into a trance. Some people see the disk and others don't. Just like at Fatima...some saw the Virgin Mary ( the three) and others didn't. Some saw lights etc.  and others didn't. Usually people with psyhic ability will see more and even hear messages during a UFO sighting or an event such as Fatima.

The witnesses to UFO's can be healed of their various ailments, wounds etc. etc. or on the opposite side, people have had eye inflamations, burns from radiation, sicknesses and many other symptoms from a sighting that can eventually lead to death.

487545[/snapback]

Ok, it's not aliens. Aliens are the souls of the children of the fallen angels. Why is it that people can believe they saw a UFO and not the Virgin Mary when it was MARY that they saw?

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

Thanks for posting.

It was said that before she died the beginning of the end would start. Can anyone say tsunami one day after Christmas?

As has been reported, for those who don't believe that people have visions, it was not just one person who saw strange happenings. 50,000 people saw it - and from seeing the movie which was based on their lives - it wasn't just bright lights, it poured down rain while Mary was there, then, the Sun got so close it was blinding (the 'bright lights' they talked of) and dried their clothing instantly. Tell those 50,000 people they are all delusional?

487192[/snapback]

Well said.

Many UFO sightings are exactly the same way...lights in the sky, objects turning many beautiful colors. Materializations and de-materializations of disks....(coming through the electromagnetic spectrum....from the superspectrum). The heat makes some witnesses so hot that they feel very uncomfortable in their clothes but they find that they cannot move their limbs. The UFO also makes some people fall unconscious and others go into a trance. Some people see the disk and others don't. Just like at Fatima...some saw the Virgin Mary ( the three) and others didn't. Some saw lights etc.  and others didn't. Usually people with psyhic ability will see more and even hear messages during a UFO sighting or an event such as Fatima.

487545[/snapback]

Ok, it's not aliens. Aliens are the souls of the children of the fallen angels. Why is it that people can believe they saw a UFO and not the Virgin Mary when it was MARY that they saw?

494966[/snapback]

Ashley...Very interesting. Could you tell us more about this?

Edited by Babs

Ashley..I am open to the vision being Mary, that would be wonderful. However, as I have stated, there are other interpretations. Could you tell me what you think happened there and what your views are about the fallen angels (or aliens)?

Could you give me some background?

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this thread now, I would have answered ealier otherwise lol

Ok, these 'aliens' are the souls of the children of the angels/human hybrids (the Nephilim). Everything throughout history which appears to be 'alien' interferance, and knowledge was talked about and attributed to these fallen angels that fathered these Nephilim. It was said (after the flood wiped out the Nephilim etc) that they would be 'evil spirits upon the Earth'. In Solomon, these Nephilim, who reside in the Heavens (space) with their father's thrones (stars) are talked about directly. It was they that built for Solomon. He was given a ring to have power over them (along with Holy angels, i.e. not fallen) to both punish them, find out what thawrts them, and have them, as I just said, build for him.

This article is from the Convent in Portugal, not the Vatican, where this woman lived. I know so many Ladies who are Sister's. I was raised by Sister's and I have been inside their "Cells" and I want you to know that they're beautiful inside.

They are just like any other woman except they don't speak of intimatcies. To these Ladies, there is just tremendous amounts of other topics to discuss than sex. When I was with these Ladies as a child, I felt comfortable and safe.

I also remember, in class, the other girls were very expressive about their sexuality and boosted about it to everyone and these Ladies kept their composure; grace and dignity. They taught me that you can accomplish more than if I dwelled upon the other ways of the world.

Please do not feel sorry for these Ladies in the Convents and their "Cells."

They're more like private apartments or homes. They have gardens and they also pursue worthwhile issues. Their very intelligent and they would not like for people to think they are being mistreated.

What's interesting to me is how some of the Ladies, seem to never age. I know many, since I was very young and they still look the same way they did when I was a little girl.

For many years The Sister's were more like my Mother than my real natural Mother... could be.

I use to have a book with pictures about the Miracle of Fatima.

COIMBRA, Portugal, FEB. 21, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Sister Lucia was the "jewel" of the Carmelite convent of Coimbra, but within its walls she lived exactly like the other women religious, says the prioress.

"Age had made her very frail and the doctor advised her not to catch cold, so she heard Mass from her cell and we took her Holy Communion," said the prioress, Sister Maria Celina of Jesus Crucified, in an interview on the program "Ecclesia" broadcasted by the agency of the same name.

Sister Maria Lucia of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart, the last witness of the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima in 1917, died Feb. 13 in St. Teresa's Carmelite convent in Coimbra, where she had lived since 1948. She was 97.

According to the prioress, "In these last days, especially since June 15, one of us was always with her, 24 hours a day. She became much more intimate, from this point of view," something that "occurs with all sisters who are dying, because -- none has yet died suddenly -- when they are in need of our help, there is a greater bond."

"Since November 21, when her health conditions worsened, she became more dependent on us," continued the prioress.

Sister Maria Celina noted Sister Lucia's simplicity, saying that not even the "burden" of the Fatima secret, which the visionary kept for decades, affected her humility.

The prioress, who lived in the same convent with Sister Lucia for 28 years, also recalled the "normality" of her conversations, adding that the other nuns "did not ask questions."

The visionary's lack of prominence was such that when Sister Maria Celina arrived at the Carmel convent, she went "eight days without knowing that it was Lucia of Fatima."

With the passing of the years a close bond was established between them, so much so that the prioress said she saw Sister Lucia "as a niece."

The death of the witness of the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin caused great sadness among the religious of her community, the prioress said. "She was part of our lives and, as you can well understand, in a Carmelite convent, in a cloistered life, one is in contact 24 hours a day."

Regarding the mission entrusted to the then little shepherdess of Fatima, the prioress said: "It was not Sister Lucia who wanted to give that message; she was entrusted with giving it to others."

Speaking about the future without the visionary's presence, Sister Maria Celina expressed the certainty that "she is with us in another way."

"Passing by her cell, one feels like going in, but she is no longer there," she said. She is "not there at the sensible level understood by our nature, but we know in faith that she is with us."

The prioress sees as possible an eventual flowering of vocations to the contemplative life, motivated by the example of the little shepherdess' life. "It might happen. God makes use of everything. It is he who calls.

"It was no accident that my vocation was born when I heard talk about the house where the little shepherdess lived only to pray, and I said: "I also want to be like that."

I still feel for them. The entire concept of nuns and priests (the way the Catholic church runs it) is based on man-made rules. I respect the fact that they do it, but I fell they are treated (especially in the past) very badly simply for wanting to devote their lives to God. God never asked people to do this. Though, like I said, I respect the fact that they do endure it.

Your wrong Ashley.

These wonderful women have Free-Will just like everyone else and they are not enduring hardships they are living a humble simple life. Maybe someday when your older you'll understand there is more to life and these Ladies and Gentle men know it.

Let this Lady rest in peace.