Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something shooting out of a blackhole?

whatif1912

NASA released photographs of something shooting out of a black hole...My question is, is this possible?

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4753

The main issue I have is that no information can travel faster than the speed of light, this photograph is 374 light years away.

We all should know that the Telescopes used by NASA are more digital than viewable. If this picture is real, how did we collect the data? not only this, but be able to capture something traveling at light speed...I come to the conclusion that this has to be traveling faster than light to escape the event horizon...is this a wrong assumption?

I pose this question: If we cannot see Pluto in real time which is approximately 5 light hours away, how do we come up with this photo? Wouldn't it take the information traveling at speeds faster than light for us to catch this picture?

I know science fairly well and would like like-minded individuals to discuss how this is possible. Maybe I'm missing something but I do not see how this is real, which would mean NASA is completely lying to us about many things.

• Like 1

Ok, first off, you know that the pictures on that page are just artists concept images... right?

ETA...

And by the way... it's 324 million light years away...

Cz

Edited by Czero 101
  • Like 3

Yes I do, thank you for the correction of light years away....still that leads to my same question. These are renditions but it comes from data that they receive and this is my point...how did data travel that quickly?

I'm not necessarily saying this is a conspiracy or a flat out lie...I'm trying to find information on how this is possible.

Sorry, but where is it said this flare is escaping the event horizon? And what makes you think it's traveling faster than light?

• Like 1

Ok, so calling them "photographs" was probably just a "slip of the tongue", so to speak, then.....?

Look up "Astrophysical Jet" and / or "Relativistic Jet"... you could also look up information on the NuSTAR and Swift space telescopes to see how they work.

Also.... I'm not saying that you're necessarily lying when you say that you "know science fairly well", but the central premise to this thread begs to differ with that statement.

Cz

• Like 1

Sorry, but where is it said this flare is escaping the event horizon? And what makes you think it's traveling faster than light?

If it ejected from the black hole it escaped event horizon. I could only guess the velocity that it would take to escape that.

If it ejected from the black hole it escaped event horizon. I could only guess the velocity that it would take to escape that.

Incorrect assumption on your part.

Cz

• Like 2

And where does it say this? The corona is outside the event horizon.
  • Like 1

Ok, so calling them "photographs" was probably just a "slip of the tongue", so to speak, then.....?

Look up "Astrophysical Jet" and / or "Relativistic Jet"... you could also look up information on the NuSTAR and Swift space telescopes to see how they work.

Also.... I'm not saying that you're necessarily lying when you say that you "know science fairly well", but the central premise to this thread begs to differ with that statement.

Cz

Can I ask how? I understand many things in science and can speak at the quantum level. I understand how these telescopes work but it still does not make sense. 324 light years away still has data that needs to travel, would this not say that Theory of Relativity is incorrect as Tesla states?

I ask for a scientific explanation that is understandable...not a google explanation. I understand what 'they' say, I'm asking what can be believed. These obviously are not actual photographs and are digital data collected by our telescopes. This data could not travel so quickly...I say this because anything leaving a black hole would have to travel ftl to pass event horizon...how did we collect something traveling so quickly and relay this information 324 light years away?

Incorrect assumption on your part.

Cz

Event Horizon captures even light...considering Stephen Hawking explanation of black holes...how can this be an incorrect statement? I will say he has been discredited in science, but he is still the foremost expert in black holes.

Can I ask how? I understand many things in science and can speak at the quantum level. I understand how these telescopes work but it still does not make sense. 324 million light years away still has data that needs to travel, would this not say that Theory of Relativity is incorrect as Tesla states?

Fixed that for you, again....

I ask for a scientific explanation that is understandable...not a google explanation. I understand what 'they' say, I'm asking what can be believed. These obviously are not actual photographs and are digital data collected by our telescopes. This data could not travel so quickly...I say this because anything leaving a black hole would have to travel ftl to pass event horizon...how did we collect something traveling so quickly and relay this information 324 light years away?

Why is it that the only way it makes sense for you is that the "data" must be travelling faster than the speed of light?

When we look at distant objects with optical telescopes, is the image we are seeing formed from "data" (light) that travelled faster than the speed of light for us to be able to observe it?

Being able to talk at the "quantum level" does not mean that you understand science. It means you have a big vocabulary.

Again... look up "Astrophysical Jets" or "Relativistic Jets"... you may gain some knowledge.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101
  • Like 4

"The results suggest that supermassive black holes send out beams of X-rays when their surrounding coronas -- sources of extremely energetic particles -- shoot, or launch, away from the black holes."

In astronomy, a corona is an envelope around a star. So this isn't saying the X-ray flare is coming from within the black hole but from around it.

Edited by Rlyeh

Event Horizon captures even light...considering Stephen Hawking explanation of black holes...how can this be an incorrect statement? I will say he has been discredited in science, but he is still the foremost expert in black holes.

No. The event horizon is the visible edge of the gravitational effects of a black hole. The material surrounding a black hole is called its accretion disk. Once past the event horizon, nothing escapes (that we know of, at any rate) but one could quite possibly live out a somewhat normal life in the accretion disk.

Also, as has been pointed out, the corona is not "on" or past the event horizon.

And once again... seriously.... look up "Astrophysical Jets" or "Relativistic Jets"... you may gain some knowledge.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101

I do understand your arguments but you are misunderstanding my question....how are we obtaining this data. If we cannot see something just 5 light years away, how can we see things that are 324 light years away?

Let's take a second and forget the fact that something does or doesn't pass even horizon, how are we collecting the data from such a distant so accurately? Enough, anyway, for NASA to send a rendition out?

Whatif1912 you do understand that something being x number of lightyears away means it took the same number of years for the light to reach our telescope, right?

• Like 3

Yes I do, thank you for the correction of light years away....still that leads to my same question. These are renditions but it comes from data that they receive and this is my point...how did data travel that quickly?

What quickly? Just because we detect an event 324 light years away today does not mean the event actually happened today. It means it happened at least 324 years ago and is only just now being detected.

I do understand your arguments but you are misunderstanding my question....how are we obtaining this data. If we cannot see something just 5 light years away, how can we see things that are 324 MILLION light years away?

Fixed that for you yet again...

Let's take a second and forget the fact that something does or doesn't pass even horizon, how are we collecting the data from such a distant so accurately? Enough, anyway, for NASA to send a rendition out?

The fact that you don't get this just adds more weight to my earlier observation that you don't really know science fairly well, since this is fairly basic.

How do we see things that are far away?

How are light and x-rays similar?

Answer those and you're on your way to answering your own question.

Cz

What quickly? Just because we detect an event 324 light years away today does not mean the event actually happened today. It means it happened at least 324 years ago and is only just now being detected.

I understand this, but to capture something like this means that it was a hell of a catch...I fully understand the stars we see may have burned out centuries ago, but for a telescope to catch something so rare is almost unbelievable.

I do understand your arguments but you are misunderstanding my question....how are we obtaining this data. If we cannot see something just 5 light years away, how can we see things that are 324 light years away?

Because those events happened 324 years ago and took that long to reach us.

The event horizon is a boundary. Stuff still happens outside that boundary.

What? Where do you get this information from?

We can definitely see things further than 5 light years away. The Andromeda Galaxy at about 2.25 million light years can be seen with the naked eye.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

I understand this, but to capture something like this means that it was a hell of a catch...I fully understand the stars we see may have burned out centuries ago, but for a telescope to catch something so rare is almost unbelievable.

Yes, sometimes the observations are sheer blind luck and good timing, but in this case, when you consider that the telescopes that "caught" the data were out there LOOKING FOR THAT KIND OF DATA, it's not really that surprising that they found it...

Which is why I suggested that you look up what the NuSTAR and Swift telescopes do....

Cz

• Like 2

Last I checked Black holes are detected by the X-rays they emit. You're making it sound like NASA has a single telescope and decided to point at a random location in the sky.
  • Like 2

Fixed that for you yet again...

The fact that you don't get this just adds more weight to my earlier observation that you don't really know science fairly well, since this is fairly basic.

How do we see things that are far away?

How are light and x-rays similar?

Answer those and you're on your way to answering your own question.

Cz

Really? Fairly basic huh...that is funny...the difference between xray and light is basic huh...what school did you attend?

I could just give you a google explanation and make myself sound intelligent, but instead you have not answered my basic question...how did this data travel? You say that it did not have to travel FTL but I beg to differ...NASA is saying it escaped the black hole...according to all information we have...this is not possible (you say basic, but apparently it's fooling many astronomers, so don't give me 'it's basic' bs). I fully admit that we do not have detailed information and as you say this is just an artist rendition. I'm not trying to have a debate, I was only asking for logical information and you are giving me nothing but google information.

I do have a large vocabulary but we all do thanks to google...I'm asking how this makes sense to you...not scientists that have written arguments. Tell me in your own words how this makes sense.

What? Where do you get this information from?

We can definitely see things further than 5 light years away. The Andromeda Galaxy at about 2.25 million light years can be seen with the naked eye.

You do realize we can't see pluto right? It's 5 light hours away...this is my conundrum.