Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Television Programming?

Farmer77

“Flicker rate tests show that alpha brain waves are altered, producing a type of hypnosis — which doesn’t portend well for the latest revelation that lights can transmit coded Internet data by “flickering faster than the eye can see.” The computer’s flicker rate is less, but through video games, social networks, and a basic structure which overloads the brain with information, the rapid pace of modern communication induces an ADHD state. A study of video games revealed that extended play can result in lower blood flow to the brain, sapping emotional control.”

http://wakeup-world....ing-of-america/

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 3

Maybe this explains an observation I have made...I tend believe much of ADHD is a complete joke. I have said it is nothing more than an excuse for people to avoid doing things they don't really want to do, because a lot of these people with "ADHD" have no problem sitting in front of a computer screen, or a video game, for hours on end. If they can focus on a game for hours straight, why can't they focus on their job for 10 minutes? That sounds less like an attention problem, and more of a "I just don't really want to focus on my job" problem...

Maybe these video games are having some type of larger effect...

• Like 3

The point of advertising is to get consumers to choose their product over the competition. The messaging is hardly subliminal--in fact, loud, overt, and in your face are more appropriate descriptors. Happy people drive this car! Drink this and attractive people will swarm around you! As for political propaganda, I'm surprised that the GOP "Democrats/Bureaucrats/Rats" ad tried to hide it. I would expect them to clearly point out and use the "subliminal" pun. Ted Bundy isn't an especially good example; he wasn't the most stable person to begin with. How many other people saw those same ads and didn't feel an urge to go out and murder women? Bundy is an example purely because he is unique, which means he's not representative of the populace at large, which means he's not a good example. By definition, Ted Bundy should not be used to describe the horrors of subliminal advertising--either it doesn't work, or it only works on people who just need a little push to do what they wanted to do anyway, or it only works on one person out of hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

Edited by theotherguy

Maybe this explains an observation I have made...I tend believe much of ADHD is a complete joke. I have said it is nothing more than an excuse for people to avoid doing things they don't really want to do, because a lot of these people with "ADHD" have no problem sitting in front of a computer screen, or a video game, for hours on end. If they can focus on a game for hours straight, why can't they focus on their job for 10 minutes? That sounds less like an attention problem, and more of a "I just don't really want to focus on my job" problem...

Maybe these video games are having some type of larger effect...

Im somewhat in agreement, I believe it is wildly overdiagnosed. Im not in the "it doesnt exist" camp however.

My job requires 12+ hours in front of multiple screens daily and I know some days I am an absolute zombie at the end of the day. I dont mean the normal tired after work , i mean disconnected , disassociated , unable to carry on a conversation beyond the basics. Even my posting on this site erodes by the end of my shift .

I can absolutely see those EXACT same traits in my kid after a couple hours of video games.

• Like 3

OK, I have not owned a TV for years. How is this supposed to work on me?

Secondly, the whole myth was started by one James Vicary, who later admitted that he made it up out of whole cloth.

Thirdly, you will have to accommodate variable refresh rates into this nonsense. Vicary's original claim was using the 24 fps cinema rate. Modern high end displays can have refresh rates up into hundreds of fps.

Fourthly, it was scientifically tested and found to have no effect whatsoever on anyone.

The whole thing is an urban myth.

And for the record, I am a programmer and spend all my working hours in front of one screen or another.

I am a gamer, so I spend my leisure time in front of one screen or another.

I am a contributor to various fora which clocks up even more screen time.

No headaches, nor lethargy, nor fatigue, nor anything. I still retain 20/20 vision.

Secondly, the whole myth was started by one James Vicary, who later admitted that he made it up out of whole cloth.

Thirdly, you will have to accommodate variable refresh rates into this nonsense. Vicary's original claim was using the 24 fps cinema rate. Modern high end displays can have refresh rates up into hundreds of fps.

Fourthly, it was scientifically tested and found to have no effect whatsoever on anyone.

And for the record, I am a programmer and spend all my working hours in front of one screen or another.

No headaches, nor lethargy, nor fatigue, nor anything. I still retain 20/20 vision.

Alright im gonna eventually hit you with some evidence which shows some of your claims are false, but in the meantime since all you did is yell opinions ill do the same.

First if you dont have a TV then bravo for your. Second It has been scientifically tested and found to be VERY effective. (I would assume to varying degrees of success depending on the individual)

As for your nerd screentime credentials, again , bravo. Anectdotally (and this has nothing to do with subliminal messaging per say) I do have problems with focus and mental fatigue after a shift.

Your post kind of reminds me of my oldest son. He'll come off a weekend video game binge an absolute emotional wreck, unable to focus and just generally being a dick - YET he never "feels" any different , according to him.

Edit to add i was NOT implying you were being a dick, but he sure as hell is in those times.

Edited by Farmer77

Second It has been scientifically tested and found to be VERY effective. (I would assume to varying degrees of success depending on the individual)

Can we get a source for this, please? I personally have never seen any study of any quality beyond collecting anecdotes that suggested subliminal messaging has any influence on the viewer.

For me, long sessions in front of a computer, whether work, gaming or just generally abusing the internet Makes me feel spaced and a bit out of it. It's similar to reading a book for hours, or a long movie (or movies). I get so immersed in what I'm doing/seeing that it's like waking up from a dream when I am done. Not buying the refresh rate/flicker theory though

• Like 1

I do have problems with focus and mental fatigue after a shift.

Get your eyes checked.. I had the same problem for a number of years (used to be a gov purchasing officer.. so my days were spent infront of a computer screen) it wasn't till I had my eyes checked that I found I needed a minor prescription for glasses.. my vision was fine.. but it was just a mild magnification on the lens.. and poof.. no more fatigue.. basically was suffering a kind of eye strain that was causing the mental fatigue..

also sitting all day is not a good thing either.. I would get up and walk for my smoko and lunch break.. get the blood flowing.. found that helped as well..

Nowdays.. I wear reading glasses :) lost my close vision.. but Abadd.. I'm a gamer as well.. can play quite happily all day with no problems as well.. Oh I have a TV.. Netflix.. streaming.. etc..

• Like 1

“Flicker rate tests show that alpha brain waves are altered, producing a type of hypnosis — which doesn’t portend well for the latest revelation that lights can transmit coded Internet data by “flickering faster than the eye can see.” The computer’s flicker rate is less, but through video games, social networks, and a basic structure which overloads the brain with information, the rapid pace of modern communication induces an ADHD state. A study of video games revealed that extended play can result in lower blood flow to the brain, sapping emotional control.”

I've read video games cause people to be able to make quicker decisions, maybe before emotions become a factor, which I see as a good thing.

Have you, by any chance, started watching Chuck?

• 1 month later...
On 25.04.2016. at 9:33 PM, Abaddonire said:

perhaps that is why in the countries there are laws that do not support subliminal advertising. subliminal advertising are stimuli that are too weak or too short to able to see or hear yet strong enough for the observation of one or more sensory cells. stimuli below the brass consciousness. after popeye spinach sales grew by 25%. Vicary experiment showed that sales of Coca-Cola rose 18% and sales of popcorn by 58%.

1 hour ago, tyrant said:

perhaps that is why in the countries there are laws that do not support subliminal advertising. subliminal advertising are stimuli that are too weak or too short to able to see or hear yet strong enough for the observation of one or more sensory cells. stimuli below the brass consciousness. after popeye spinach sales grew by 25%. Vicary experiment showed that sales of Coca-Cola rose 18% and sales of popcorn by 58%.

Not true. Those figures were entirely made up.

• Like 1

"a 2010 study revealed that children increased their vegetable consumption after watching Popeye cartoons"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye#Spinach

Hewitt, Katie (August 16, 2010) How to win the kids v. veggies battle, Toronto Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/how-to-win-the-kid-v-veggies-battle/article4267723/

"Research earlier this year found that sales of tinned spinach, like the kind eaten by Popeye, rose by 24 per cent last year to become one of Britain’s fastest selling canned vegetables."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/7933292/Popeye-encourages-children-to-eat-more-vegetables-claims-study.html

Edited by tyrant

Subject right up my ally. I am a NLP practitioner and Hypnotist.

The popeye stuff isnt sublimibal messaging, its simply the law of association as we say in Hypnosis. Popeye got stronger when he ate spinnach....... kids think hey popeye ate spinnach and got strong, so I must too! No sublimial messages here.

• Like 1

After reading this thread, I really want some adderall. 

5 hours ago, tyrant said:

"a 2010 study revealed that children increased their vegetable consumption after watching Popeye cartoons"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye#Spinach

Hewitt, Katie (August 16, 2010) How to win the kids v. veggies battle, Toronto Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/how-to-win-the-kid-v-veggies-battle/article4267723/

"Research earlier this year found that sales of tinned spinach, like the kind eaten by Popeye, rose by 24 per cent last year to become one of Britain’s fastest selling canned vegetables."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/7933292/Popeye-encourages-children-to-eat-more-vegetables-claims-study.html

Well that's just lovely.

Except Popeye is not an example of subliminal advertising, now is it?

At best, product placement and nothing more.

To claim Popeye as subliminal advertising is dishonest.

I find it interesting that you avoid Vicary's claims of 58% and 18% given that Vicary himself admitted that he made those numbers up out of whole cloth in favour of something which is not the claimed "subliminal advertising" at all. You wouldn't be trying to dodge the issue would you?

Tyrant, please consider this a direct question...

What makes you think watching Popeye causing increased spinach sales has *anything* to do with subliminal advertising?

Or is your point simply that advertising and/or association works?  In which case, thank heavens you told us...

• Like 2

aha so it is means that children before the bedtime watched Popeye ... advertisements. speaking of ignorance I think that you all ignored the fact that some countries banned subliminal advertising. such as UK. the question is why the UK banned something that do not exist and it has no effect on the audience, and the like.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tyrant said:

aha so it is means that children before the bedtime watched Popeye ... advertisements. speaking of ignorance I think that you all ignored the fact that some countries banned subliminal advertising. such as UK. the question is why the UK banned something that do not exist and it has no effect on the audience, and the like.

Argumentum ad populum.

1.6 billion people believe there is no god but Allah. Should I convert to Islam?

Sharia is the law of the land in many Islamic countries. Does that mean Sharia is correct?

Saudi Arabia has banned and continues to ban women from driving. Does that mean women should not be allowed to drive?

Stupid, pointless laws are passed all around the world. This is evidence that people pass stupid laws, pointless laws. Nothing more.

In England it is illegal to die in the House Of Parliament, but something tells me that if someone did do this, they wouldn’t face many repercussions.

• Like 1

DId I just See that right? 

Did I just See that Right ?

19 hours ago, DONTEATUS said:

DId I just See that right? 

Did I just See that Right ?

If you are referring to the not dying in the Houses of Parliament then yes!  Archaic law that has never been rescinded.  We have lots of those - they'll get around to them one day, maybe!  I don't think I am allowed to beat my carpets on a Sunday, or not before 8am, or whatever.  Ain't we quaint?

On 11.06.2016. at 10:23 AM, Abaddonire said:

Argumentum ad populum.

1.6 billion people believe there is no god but Allah. Should I convert to Islam?

Sharia is the law of the land in many Islamic countries. Does that mean Sharia is correct?

Saudi Arabia has banned and continues to ban women from driving. Does that mean women should not be allowed to drive?

Stupid, pointless laws are passed all around the world. This is evidence that people pass stupid laws, pointless laws. Nothing more.

In England it is illegal to die in the House Of Parliament, but something tells me that if someone did do this, they wouldn’t face many repercussions.

4d9798a253d3aae8e0bf56a6f19cdcda38d5f5e9

The subliminal question is moot, in my mind. The US television code, adopted decades ago, is upfront about televisions goal of promoting social change. Adverts and commercials, as has been found in many studies, are particularly successful in grabbing the attention of young children and toddlers. Something pwrents are well aware of. Social conditioning is rampant in these advertisements. Gender role realignments, the prominence of ethnic groups, and now sexual minorities, are spoonfed with an agenda to viewers from an early age. 

In tv land it seems Doctors are mostly women. Straight men have many gay buddies they hang out with. 110 pound women punch men out and can take a punch on the jaw like Popeye. Supervisors are probably black, except the jerks, who are white. Criminals are seldom black and if they are there will be a sympathetic backstory showing it's partly society's fault.

• Like 1