Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Visual Reorientation Illusions (VRIs)

Hugh

No I didn't try the mirror trick but that is just playing with mirrors, when you do that for illusions it's quite fun, you can play with your friends and weird them out.

Being able to transit through the mirror with your mind is another story, that is actually a very, very old technique called "walking through mirrors" when talking about CRV and astral projection, when you transit through a mirror you are in one of our "reverse dimensions" like you said in another post, yes, it is like a copy of our dimension just in another perceptual angle. Things like that though are not usually experienced while being completely awake, without meditating, etc. to just DO IT is a whole other ballgame.

With VRIs, one is completely awake and aware of being in another "copy of our dimension, just in another perceptual angle."

It's a lot of fun to look into the double reflection produced by the two mirrors, and see the other angled worlds, then consciously instantly rotate into them, and look back into where you once where from the other side. Everything is still the exact same around you, except the whole universe has rotated around 90 or 180 degrees from where it was.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hugh

• starlight1020

• rm76

• Clarty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow ok this is hard to wrap my brain around. i've read through this whole thread so here are my questions: you mentioned it's like a whole new world, yet the same when you flip. how do you mean? are the objects in the room the *exact* same? or are there a few new ones you've never seen before? have you ever done this on purpose while with a friend and tried to talk to this person while you are flipped?

Hi starlight, thanks for your interest. :)

The objects all stay the exact same relative to you and each other, but the whole universe has been turned around from the way it was.

It is like you sitting in a room, facing a window, watching the sun set in the west.

Then a giant hand grabs the universe and turns it around 180 degrees in the opposite direction in an instant.

You now are still looking out the same window, watching the sun set in the west, but west is now facing where east used to be!

You've probably heard of people saying they got "turned around" and got lost. This is part of the VRI experience because our orientational bearings (our feeling of where N,S,E,W are) gets rotated around.

For a 180 degree flip, north becomes south and east becomes west.

For a 90 degree flip, north becomes east or west.

It's no problem to consciously do a VRI and talk to someone while doing it. You see two differently oriented versions of them during the process. First you see them facing north in one direction, then you do a 180 VRI, and then you see them facing north in the opposite direction.

It's cool to be able to see four different versions of the universe, each 90 or 180 degrees flipped around from the others. :)

Earlier, in this post of this thread: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82537&st=75#entry4097561 I listed some of the comments made by others about VRIs in the comments section of the Radiolab episode called You Are Here http://www.radiolab.org/2011/jan/25/you-are-here/

There have been a couple of more interesting comments:

Kirsten

I am so happy to have stumbled across this! About 4 years ago when I was living abroad I often got confused in my kitchen. On a number of occasions I would go to put something in the oven only to find the oven wasn't where it should be. It has recently gotten worse and has made me panic when I'm driving to work and all of a sudden I don;t recognize the street I am on even though I have driven on it every day for years. It also happens at work when I walk through my call center on my way to a meeting and I everything all of a sudden looks different to me and I don't know how to get to where I am going.

I never realized until listening to this that it's not that I have never seen the place I am in before, it's just that I am seeing it from an angle I have never seen. I feel....found.

Jun. 14 2012 12:49 AM

Score: 0/0

rachel from scotland

I've experienced VRIs since childhood, and have never been able to explain this to anyone without attracting confused stares. I must have been about four years old when it happened the first time and I remember it affected me strongly. One day my home and my street just spontaneously "changed direction", this was a permanent shift which has lasted to this day. I clearly remember feeling confused and upset at the time and actually tried hard to concentrate to get the "old world" to come back - but it never did. I can still visualise it when I recall memories from before a certain age. I know now that what I was really seeing was the same view but from another angle, but at the time it felt like I had gone to a whole other world. I can voluntarily bring on VRI flips if I concentrate hard enough, but there is usually always a default view for most places I know. This is all very interesting to read.

Edited by Hugh

Hi starlight, thanks for your interest. :)

The objects all stay the exact same relative to you and each other, but the whole universe has been turned around from the way it was.

It is like you sitting in a room, facing a window, watching the sun set in the west.

Then a giant hand grabs the universe and turns it around 180 degrees in the opposite direction in an instant.

You now are still looking out the same window, watching the sun set in the west, but west is now facing where east used to be!

You've probably heard of people saying they got "turned around" and got lost. This is part of the VRI experience because our orientational bearings (our feeling of where N,S,E,W are) gets rotated around.

For a 180 degree flip, north becomes south and east becomes west.

For a 90 degree flip, north becomes east or west.

It's no problem to consciously do a VRI and talk to someone while doing it. You see two differently oriented versions of them during the process. First you see them facing north in one direction, then you do a 180 VRI, and then you see them facing north in the opposite direction.

It's cool to be able to see four different versions of the universe, each 90 or 180 degrees flipped around from the others. :)

i'm not doubting that this is happening- so many others are coming forth saying it's happening to them as well ..but now my question is: how to you know you have flipped? if others that are with you when it happens don't notice any flip. still hard to wrap my brain around LOL

this does sound awesome though. i makes me think of parallel universes.

i'm not doubting that this is happening- so many others are coming forth saying it's happening to them as well ..but now my question is: how to you know you have flipped? if others that are with you when it happens don't notice any flip. still hard to wrap my brain around LOL

You know you have flipped because you are looking in a different direction then you were before.

Take this picture for example:

180degreetheatrevriflip.jpg

Now, imagine that you are in a movie theatre complex that has many movie theatres, that face in different directions.

Let's say that the above picture represents two different theatres in that complex, that are located back to back, separated by a hallway.

You first sit in the movie theatre on the left, and you look at the screen in that direction.

Then you get up, walk out of the theatre, through the joining hallway, and enter the theatre on the right, sit down, and look at the screen in the opposite direction.

If I asked you, how do you know that you are looking in the opposite direction when you look at the screen in the other theatre, you'd explain and point each direction to me and say, "Well, in this theatre I face the screen in this direction, looking this way, and in the other, I am facing the screen in the opposite direction, looking that way."

What happens with a VRI, is that you sit in the same theatre, and look at the screen this way, then the instant flip happens, then you find yourself in the same theatre looking at the same screen, but it is now in the opposite direction... it's as if you have travelled to the opposite facing theatre in an instant!

If someone asks you "How do you know that everything has just flipped? Aren't you still in the exact same theatre looking at the exact same screen?" You'd say "Yes, it's the same theatre but I'm looking at it in the opposite direction from where it was!"

Both 180 degree (opposite) and 90 degree (right angle) VRI flips are possible, so you can flip to any one of the four possible viewpoints of the same theatre.

Have you ever come out of a movie theatre and started walking in the hallway in the "wrong direction" to exit? Then realized it, and started walking the "right way"?

It happens to a lot of people coming out of theatres, because they experience VRIs in them.

They think that they are in another direction facing theatre during the movie, and their viewpoint gets flipped around. Then when they exit, things get flipped around again, back to their normal viewpoint, and they have their bearings back again.

For some, VRIs are such a subtle difference that they may not even recognize them, for others, it is a monumental event that they never forget.

It is usually noticeable to most if it happens in a place that one has a very familiar viewpoint that they are accustomed to being in.

The movie theatre has such an general, ambiguous feeling to it, and most of us have been in each of the four different facing versions of it during our lifetime, so it's a lot easier for us to imagine ourselves being in one of the other facing theatres easier than just about any other place.

Try it yourself the next time you go see a movie. Try and think about being in another theatre that faces another direction, and you may be pleasantly surprised when the theatre flips to another position! I have a lot of fun doing this. :)

this does sound awesome though. i makes me think of parallel universes.

I've always thought that parallel universe travel was a possiblilty... it certainly feels that way, it's like being in a whole new world each time!

I've also thought it may be related to being able to see within higher dimensional space... when one experiences VRIs, it's like there is this whole new dimension to the space around us... it's like a square being taken into the third dimension and being able to experience his perceived 2 dimensional world from another angle, available in the 3rd dimension, and then thinking he might actually be 3D himself if he can actually see those different directions that light can be coming from in those other directions...

Could we actually be at least 4D, being able to see light from our perceived 3D world coming from different directions within higher dimensional space? :)

Edited by Hugh

Could we actually be at least 4D, being able to see light from our perceived 3D world coming from different directions within higher dimensional space? :)

i don't know, but i'm intrigued. i'm curious if you've ever tried to astral project?

i don't know, but i'm intrigued. i'm curious if you've ever tried to astral project?

I don't think I've ever achieved that ability, but I believe in the possibility of it.

Do you think you've ever possibly experienced a VRI? Like when you've come up from a subway, or out of a movie theatre, have you started walking in the "wrong direction", thinking you were going in the right one? Then your whole world gets "flipped back to your normal viewpoint" and you then have your correct bearings back again?

Do you think you've ever possibly experienced a VRI? Like when you've come up from a subway, or out of a movie theatre, have you started walking in the "wrong direction", thinking you were going in the right one? Then your whole world gets "flipped back to your normal viewpoint" and you then have your correct bearings back again?

oh yes, i've definitely felt like that before. i always just assumed something was off with my head ;) i have gotten turned around many, many times but not in the last few years that i can remember and never on purpose. would be cool to make it happen though.

oh yes, i've definitely felt like that before. i always just assumed something was off with my head ;) i have gotten turned around many, many times but not in the last few years that i can remember and never on purpose. would be cool to make it happen though.

It's great to hear you've experienced being turned around starlight... it's easy to think of it as something being off, but if you think about it, there is a really interesting part of it to consider... and that is... how is it possible that we can see our surroundings from different directions, if those different directions didn't actually exist?

This is why I believe it has something to do with higher dimensions of space, is that it seems that the space we are in, and that we are made of, has all these extra directions available for viewing...

It's really cool to make it happen by conscious thought... it is then that one realizes that it could be less of a disability, and more of an ability...

The ability to see the space around us from the other directions available.

Take for example this 2D representation of a 3D necker cube:

necker_cube.gif

You can look at the top picture and see it in either of the 2 bottom orientations just by thinking it, with the ability of your mind to make it instantly flip.

In the same way, it may be possible to see the 3D "slice" of 4D space around us in any of the possible orientations just by thinking it, with the ability of your mind to make it instantly flip with a VRI.

Next time you're in a movie theatre, please try to flip to another direction facing theatre... the opposite one is the easiest for everyone I've ever talked to about this... and let me know if you were successful!

It's so fun to flip back and forth at will to all four different orientations, such a feeling of freedom and power! :)

Edited by Hugh

I don't understand how to make it happen though?

It takes concentration and awareness of which direction you are facing, and the ability to do spatial rotations in your mind's eye.

Do you have any problem seeing the two bottom cubes in the top cube?

If you can see those two cubes quite easily, you should be more capable of experiencing a VRI.

I'm going to quote an earlier post in which I explain how to do a Movie Theatre VRI...

What helps the most is to have a pre-existing mental image of your surroundings in the position you want to go to. Once you have experienced the flip, and seen things in a room from different directions before, it is easier to re-visit that viewpoint.

That's one of the reasons that I think that doing the VRI in a movie theater for the first time is the easiest place to try, because we already have a pre-conceived mental map image of "a theater" in each of the four directions - facing north, south, east and west. Having a big flat screen far away as a common element to focus on helps a lot.

Think of the times in your life when you have seen a movie at the theater, in each of the four different directions, and get an orientational sense of each of the positions. Picture yourself sitting facing north, then south, then east and then west in each of those theaters.

Now visit a movie theater, arriving well before it starts, and think of which direction that you are currently facing. See it in your mind's mental map. Now think of being in the opposite facing theater, for myself, and everyone I've ever talked to about this, the 180 degree flip is the easiest one to achieve. Just let the flip happen. It may take a while. Think about other things, other times you've seen other movies, in other places, which direction that you were facing in those other theaters. If the movie starts and you still haven't experienced the flip, during the movie, every few minutes, just take a second to imagine yourself in one of those other facing theaters, then watch the movie again. The flip should happen at some point if you focus on it enough. You'll think, hey, wasn't I facing the other way when I came in here? The more that you become aware of the VRI, the easier it is to do it.

Let me know if you have any success with it if you try it there starlight. :)

So concentration is key? I'll definitely let you know! And thanks for answering all of my questions :)

So concentration is key? I'll definitely let you know! And thanks for answering all of my questions :)

I'm glad to help! Just look at the picture of the back to back theatres I posted earlier, and next time you're at the movies, just imagine yourself switching theatres just like you easily switch cubes! :)

Yes, I can cee two bottom cubes in top picture easily. Will you please let me know that what do you want to extract from this?

Yes, I can cee two bottom cubes in top picture easily. Will you please let me know that what do you want to extract from this?

Hi PrintingRay. Being able to see the bottom cubes in the top picture easily means you have an abiltiy and awareness of doing those spatial rotations in your mind.

Seeing VRIs involves a similar ability and awareness, but instead of involving a 2D image as above, it involves seeing your whole perceived 3D world around you in a different orientation.

It's like being in a 3D necker cube yourself, and doing the spatial rotation in your mind, and seeing everything from a new 3D perspective from within the cube!

Have you ever experienced a VRI? Here's another thread on the forum here if you're interesting in reading more about them:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159285

Thanks. :)

I've noticed this too! And yes, I do believe this could be "evidence" of higher dimensions--but think about this: it is evidence to you, and to me, but in order for us to call it evidence, we had to experience it. This is a special kind of knowledge--spiritual knowledge, you could call it.

To me, this phenomenon shows how self-constructed our own realities truly are. That "flip" into recognizing your surroundings? That's sort of just your brain being able to anticipate its surroundings. It's familiarity, a sense of knowing where you are, as you pointed out. But before that flip--that instantaneous moment--you could literally be ANYWHERE. I mean, doesn't it feel that way? Like, you could be in an infinite number of places, and you may never know? I'm talking about if you took that small moment before the flip, and expanded it into an observable, describable experience. Trippy isn't it? :P

I've noticed this too! And yes, I do believe this could be "evidence" of higher dimensions--but think about this: it is evidence to you, and to me, but in order for us to call it evidence, we had to experience it. This is a special kind of knowledge--spiritual knowledge, you could call it.

Hi hearingcolors. You've experienced VRIs as well? I'd love to hear more about your experiences with them... When did you first notice them, how often do they happen, and can you control them by making them happen by conscious thought?

To me, this phenomenon shows how self-constructed our own realities truly are. That "flip" into recognizing your surroundings? That's sort of just your brain being able to anticipate its surroundings. It's familiarity, a sense of knowing where you are, as you pointed out. But before that flip--that instantaneous moment--you could literally be ANYWHERE. I mean, doesn't it feel that way? Like, you could be in an infinite number of places, and you may never know? I'm talking about if you took that small moment before the flip, and expanded it into an observable, describable experience. Trippy isn't it? :P

Yes. :)

• 9 months later...

I don't believe that everybody can experience those "VRI". Starting to look for informations about that, I found an article from the NYT ( http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 )

It doesn't deal exactly with the VRI, but there is this insteresting sentence :

It is not easy for us to conceive how Guugu Yimithirr speakers experience the world, with a crisscrossing of cardinal directions imposed on any mental picture and any piece of graphic memory."

and the example in the previous paragraph :

One way of understanding this is to imagine that you are traveling with a speaker of such a language and staying in a large chain-style hotel, with corridor upon corridor of identical-looking doors. Your friend is staying in the room opposite yours, and when you go into his room, you’ll see an exact replica of yours: the same bathroom door on the left, the same mirrored wardrobe on the right, the same main room with the same bed on the left, the same curtains drawn behind it, the same desk next to the wall on the right, the same television set on the left corner of the desk and the same telephone on the right. In short, you have seen the same room twice. But when your friend comes into your room, he will see something quite different from this, because everything is reversed north-side-south.

for me it is an evidence that without forcing my mind to do a VRI, the two rooms will look differently. However the author of the article, who is interrested in world perception, seems to be unable to understand what can be different.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe that everybody can experience those "VRI". Starting to look for informations about that, I found an article from the NYT ( http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 )

It doesn't deal exactly with the VRI, but there is this insteresting sentence :

and the example in the previous paragraph :

for me it is an evidence that without forcing my mind to do a VRI, the two rooms will look differently. However the author of the article, who is interrested in world perception, seems to be unable to understand what can be different.

Hi Pascal, welcome to the forum. That was a very interesting article!

It is great to hear you have experienced VRIs as well. Yes, the two rooms would be very different to me as well, because they are oriented 180 degrees oppositely rotated around from each other. It does appear that the author seems unable to understand what is different between the two rooms. I have also found that many people that I have described VRIs to also are not able to discern a spatial difference.

For me, the way a space is oriented has everything to do with how it is perceived and remembered.

It is fascinating to hear the person mentioned in the article, (Guugu Yimithirr) experiences spatial orientation exactly as it is represented in 3D space including exact awareness of the cardinal directions at all times. For me, I have a similar awareness of the cardinal directions as long as I am on a straight line orientational grid. As soon as there are curved streets or underground subway turns though, my orientational bearings get "turned around". When coming back to a place that I normally have seen in a certain orientation, I may find it "turned around" 90 or 180 degrees, and this is where the 90 or 180 degree instant VRI turn "back to normal" takes place.

I wonder if Guugu Yimithirr ever experiences VRIs.

Pascal, I'd like to ask you how long you've experienced VRIs and how much that you are able to make them happen just by thinking about it. Are you able to control them and turn a space around that you are in to the four available orientations at will?