Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

gat marriage maria miller

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#61    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 12 December 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

And yet what we are discussing right now discriminates a segment of the population because the Abrahamic religions have a prohibition of who they can marry and share their life with.  That means benefits married people have they can't get, at least here in the States. I don't know how that works in the UK.

Thats a Strawman argument because I havent discssed discriminating against them on this thread.

#62    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Your first part has nothing to do with what I said.  Churches should be allowed to decide themselves.  That is what I said.  Why do you and others.  Continually post replies to me. Arguing something I didn't say.  I'm going to ignore you from now on. It is very rude.

I was responding to the second part of what you said, that it's not acivil issue. I was pointing out that it is a civil issue and elaborating the church's failure both to understand that and wanting to impose their will on other religious groups that didn't  toe the party line.

It's rude to ignore someone for merely responding to what you said simply because what was said in reply was more than you wanted to hear.

Edited by shadowhive, 12 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#63    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I stated. It is up to the church to decide for themselves.  You are creating a debate out of nothing.  We both said the same thing.  A religious preference is not a civil issue.  That is why you had to qualify your first paragraph.

It isn't rude to refuse to deal with someone. Who tries to twist your words to mean something else.

Edited by Cassea, 12 December 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#64    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I stated. It is up to the church to decide for themselves.  You are creating a debate out of nothing.  We both said the same thing.  A religious preference is not a civil issue.  That is why you had to qualify your first paragraph.

It isn't rude to refuse to deal with someone. Who tries to twist your words to mean something else.

We do agree that it's up for the church to decide for themselves. What my point was (and I'll bold this so it's clear) was that the church needs to realise that everyone has to decide for themselves, not just them deciding for everyone and people should be free to make the choice the church doesn't make not forced to do things only the churches way.

I was not trying to twist your words. I was merely elaborating on something, which is something people do. Person A makes a statement, person B replies and adds something else. I don't see why you're taking what I said so badly, like I was personally atatcking you.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#65    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 12 December 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Same sex marriage is a civil issue since currently same sex couples can't marry. Why is that the case? In large parts because of religious meddling. Like I said, this legislation was originally just for civil marriage (nothing to do with church marriage at all) yet even though it was stated as being solely civl, religions made it their mission to try and make it stop.

Stall the ball for a sec    Question ..  Are you saying, that religious people are trying to stop civil partnerships?    If so, can you share a news article?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#66    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Your first part has nothing to do with what I said.  Churches should be allowed to decide themselves.  That is what I said.  Why do you and others.  Continually post replies to me. Arguing something I didn't say.  I'm going to ignore you from now on. It is very rude.

cassea, on an Internet forum people are always going to misunderstand points or read what they want into something another says.. im really sorry it upsets you so much.. i know yesterday i had the same issue with you somewhere else, and was accused of the same by you, when in actual fact you were forgetting what you were saying/writing, and i caught you out and you chose to ignore it.. so go figure, yeah?

try not to let it get to you.. im sure you are a really nice person, so its not worth tying yourself so much emotionally to what others say to your posts.. dont take it on.. its not an attack at you.. peace to you..  

#67    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 12 December 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

cassea, on an Internet forum people are always going to misunderstand points or read what they want into something another says.. im really sorry it upsets you so much.. i know yesterday i had the same issue with you somewhere else, and was accused of the same by you, when in actual fact you were forgetting what you were saying/writing, and i caught you out and you chose to ignore it.. so go figure, yeah?

try not to let it get to you.. im sure you are a really nice person, so its not worth tying yourself so much emotionally to what others say to your posts.. dont take it on.. its not an attack at you.. peace to you..  

In general and over time - If I had a £1 for each time I found myself saying to someone - Did I say that? Show me? lol  It's no wonder I bold some points I make :P

I have the same trouble at home with the hubby..  There isn't a week that passes by without me saying - Look Gary, I did not say that, what's up with you?   lol... We laugh it off, he admits his listening comprehension is wacky

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 12 December 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#68    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 12 December 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Because of my cognitive issues.  I try very hard to be careful in what I say.  So to write a specific thing.  And to have someone try to twist it to mean the opposite is very upsetting. I do think it is rude.

Also the title of this thread is misleading. It is not a civil issue.   Actions in the church would not be called illegal.  Each church should decide for themselves.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#69    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Unless I'm missing something God is quite clearly against it in the Bible.

Laws protect religious freedom in this country so you'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

well, the bible is a distorted book of fiction, so it has little relevance in todays society and for the general population.. (unless you live in the USA, as its a dying horse in my country)..

if god is against it why are his priest and christian brothers mostly gay?? i grew up in the catholic world, and at my schools there wasnt one christian brother (most of them were Irish) or clergyman that wasn't clearly into males.. with most of them being pedophiles.. the minute they got us away from the lay teachers and at a "religious retreat" where it was just us and them, it was all on..

im deeply spiritual, but that doesnt involve me following a long outdated book and being a part of a church.. it just is.. it comes from within..

#70    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Because of my cognitive issues.  I try very hard to be careful in what I say.  So to write a specific thing.  And to have someone try to twist it to mean the opposite is very upsetting. I do think it is rude.

Also the title of this thread is misleading. It is not a civil issue.   Actions in the church would not be called illegal.  Each church should decide for themselves.

demanding people answer your questions is rude too.. people in glass houses.....

#71    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 12 December 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

demanding people answer your questions is rude too.. people in glass houses.....

Where did I demand that?

#72    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 December 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Stall the ball for a sec Question ..  Are you saying, that religious people are trying to stop civil partnerships? If so, can you share a news article?

When civil partnerships were introduced they absolutely resisted and tried to stop them However, that was not what I was saying. The legislation of equal marriage started as completely related to civil marriage, not religious. However, the church complained even then and have done so ever since to make people panic into thinking they'd be forced into doing something.

#73    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I think each church should decide for themselves  Reason being, is because I most certainly do not like anyone pushing their way on to me... So, if I don't like it done on to myself, I wouldn't expect others to sit down and take it either

Is it discriminating?  For so many of us that are not Christian, the answer could  be - Yes Is it discriminating..... Discrimination is part of what they believe is right.. It would be hard to say the belief in not wanting to marry certain people is not discriminating, because they are literally pushing aside a group of people and saying - No we wont help you  or we wont provide you with any service, not in our church.  

Regardless how so many non religious see it as discriminating, the church still owns the right to do so, as it is part of their beliefs..   If we take away the religious freedom, you may as well start shifting other freedoms of others to..

#74    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Where did I demand that?

page 4 of the sperm/blood thread from yesterday.. you repeatedly stated that i answer your silly question.. and then told me i was dishonest by not answering it.. that is considered rude where i am from..

#75    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostCassea, on 12 December 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Again, I didn't try to twist what you said. I'm sorry that you thought so but I was merely responding and elaborating what I meant in an attempt to be clear.

Each church can decide for themselves: apart from the church of england. Because of the church of england's constant and persistant assertion that they'd be forced ito doing it, the government's actually making it illegal for same sex couples to marry in church of england churches. This creates a problem however. If the church of england does decide it wants to marry same sex couples it has to go through the hurdle of changing the law to do so (whereas any other church that changes it's mind can simply opt in). Ultimately all they've done is shoot themselves in the foot.

To be clear, not trying to twist your words, merely explaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users