Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young Henry VIII revealed at National Library

Still Waters

A long lost "royal treasure" with one of the earliest paintings of Henry VIII has been discovered at the National Library of Wales.

The manuscript was donated to the Aberystwyth library in 1921, but officials say they have only just realised its true significance.

One of its 34 pictures is believed to show 11-year-old Henry weeping at the empty bed of his mother, Elizabeth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-20003806

If that is him I guess at 11 he was more compassionate towards women.

• 4 weeks later...

If so... it was probably the last time Henry VIII ever wept for a deceased woman...

He wept more than once when his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, died in Cambridgeshire in 1536.

He also wept when reading her last letter, which she wrote as she lay dying.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

If that is him I guess at 11 he was more compassionate towards women.

He was married six times and he only executed two of them.

And stop attaching the standards of the 21st Century to the 16th Century. They were completely different times.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I think Henry, in his own way, missed all of his wives (except poor Anne of Cleves perhaps), but historical evidence points to his 3rd wife, Jane Seymour as being his one true love. She was the only one to have been granted a full Queen's funeral and Henry wore full mourning for 3 months after her death. She died in 1537, ten days after giving birth to the future Edward VI, probably from puerperal fever. When Henry died 10 years later he was buried beside her in St.George's Chapel, Windsor at his own request.

• Like 1

I think Henry, in his own way, missed all of his wives (except poor Anne of Cleves perhaps), but historical evidence points to his 3rd wife, Jane Seymour as being his one true love. She was the only one to have been granted a full Queen's funeral and Henry wore full mourning for 3 months after her death. She died in 1537, ten days after giving birth to the future Edward VI, probably from puerperal fever. When Henry died 10 years later he was buried beside her in St.George's Chapel, Windsor at his own request.

I can understand why Jane Seymour was the favourite of his wives. She's the only one of them which gave him a male heir.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

I can understand why Jane Seymour was the favourite of his wives. She's the only one of them which gave him a male heir.

Cynicism doesn't become you LLG! s3413.gif

• 2 months later...

Cynicism doesn't become you LLG! s3413.gif

Are you so naive as to believe that the reason why Jane was Henry's favourite had nothing to do with her being the only one to give him a male heir?

I thought you were a former history lecturer. It is fairly general consensus amongst historians that Jane Seymour was Henry's favourite wife because she was the only one who gave him a male heir, which is what he needed.

As it says here:

She was the only one of Henry's wives to receive a queen's funeral, and his only consort to be buried beside him in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, as she was the only consort to have a male heir to survive infancy.

and here

After her death, Henry wore black for the next three months and did not remarry for three years, although marriage negotiations were tentatively begun soon after her death. Historians have speculated she was Henry's favourite wife because she gave birth to a male heir. When he died in 1547, Henry was buried beside her in the grave he had made for her, on his request.

http://en.wikipedia....Seymour#Funeral

Remember, in those days monarchs around Europe and elsewhere didn't marry for love. They married for political reasons. A king often married a woman from a country with which they have had lots of wars with in order to cement a peace treaty between the two kingdoms. But, of course, the main reason why a monarch married was to get a male heir. Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragon because she didn't bear him a make heir, so it's almost certain that the reason why Jane Seymour was Henry's favourite wife was because she was the one who gave him the much-needed male heir.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Post #9 was a jest! s11842.gif

Despite the admitted general shallowness of Henry's feelings, I still believe Jane Seymour was his favourite. (Not necessarily 'Hearts & Flowers') but closer to him than any of the others!

Post #9 was a jest! s11842.gif

Despite the admitted general shallowness of Henry's feelings, I still believe Jane Seymour was his favourite. (Not necessarily 'Hearts & Flowers') but closer to him than any of the others!

Oh. I see. It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes whether someone's joking or not.