Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two headed baby?

SilverCougar

Egads!

Uhm.. I..donno what to say.. but... it's kinda... twitchy..

Rebeca shares blood vessels and arteries with her second head. Although only partially developed, the mouth on her second head moves when Rebeca is being breast-fed. Tests indicate some activity in her second brain.

As I said.. twitchy...

I hope they're able to do this surgery succesfully.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• <bleeding_heart>

• SilverCougar

• DreamRebel

huh.gif

Blimey, that is probably the weirdest and saddest baby I have ever seen. sad.gif

I hope they can fix her. original.gif

Ive seen other caces of children born with 2 heads, but nothing like this one. crying.gifcrying.gifblink.gif

Shes a beautiful child, I hope she survives.

Absolutley right, I couldnt bare to go through the thought of losing my child, they must be going through hell! sad.gif

I hope all go's well.

Wow, how sad. I wonder how the brain is intermingled with the second baby, and how hard it is going to be to get removed. reminds me of the two girls that were joined at the head that were recently seperated.

I hope everything goes OK.

I hate to sound really shallow, but was I the only one who saw the picture and thought: "I guess two heads aren't better than one..."

That may have just been me. Sorry.

Thing is, when the child was in the womb, the docs said the baby will have a tumor on her head...

Ugh =(

Here is a link to the CNN coverage. I hope they do well, it sounds like a very big surgery.

Good for her...I hope the poor girl doesn't become a hometown pariah for all her differences. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family.

My heart and prayers go out to her and her family.

Same here. I saw her on the news this afternoon and felt a touch of pride that there are still people who care about a single life.

Blessing upon you all

The surgery didn't work out. The little girl died 12 hours after surgery. sad.gif

How sad.

I hope she's in a better place now my sympathies go out to her family!

Full Article

Top Stories - AP

Infant Girl Dies After 2nd Head Removed

user posted image1 hour, 12 minutes ago

By PETER PRENGAMAN, Associated Press Writer

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - An infant girl died Saturday after surgery to remove a second head, her mother said.

A medical team completed the operation Friday evening but said 8-week-old Rebeca Martinez had been susceptible to infection or hemorrhaging. The baby died 12 hours after the surgery, believed to be the first of its kind.

"She was too little to resist the surgery," the mother, 26-year-old Maria Gisela Hiciano, said by telephone from her home, sobbing softly.

Hiciano said doctors told her Rebeca died around 6 a.m.

The second head, which doctors said threatened the girl's development, grew from the top of Rebeca's skull and had its own partly developed brain, ears, eyes and lips.

During the surgery, 18 surgeons, nurses and doctors had taken several rotations to cut off the undeveloped tissue, clip the veins and arteries, and close the skull using a bone and skin graft from the second head.

Doctors had warned her parents that Rebeca confronted "the second big risk, the post-operation recovery," according to Dr. Santiago Hazim, medical director of Santo Domingo's Center for Orthopedic Specialties, where the surgery was performed.

The operation was critical because the head on top was growing faster than the lower one, said Dr. Jorge Lazareff, the lead brain surgeon and director of pediatric neurosurgery at the University of California at Los Angeles' Mattel Children's Hospital.

Lazareff led a team that successfully separated conjoined Guatemalan twin girls in 2002.

Hiciano and her husband, 29-year-old Franklin Martinez, have two other children, ages 4 and 1.

Well, the girl is going to live, that's a no brainer. I'm still wondering why the parasitic head's mouth was moving when the host baby was being breast-fed. Could she possibly have control over this parasitic head? Or does this parasitic head have a mind of its own? If it does, it's very say that these two twins did not fully split in its embryotic state. Who knows what the second twin would have become. sad.gif

====

Well, I guess i'm wrong about this. She did die. I still think that second head should of been kept on her, untill further studies have been done. However, the idea of a human guinea pig seems immoral and unethical. However there have been studies on people concerning different matters.

Edited by Blue-Scorpion

Well, I guess i'm wrong about this. She did die. I still think that second head should of been kept on her, untill further studies have been done. However, the idea of a human guinea pig seems immoral and unethical. However there have been studies on people concerning different matters.

I think if I read the story correctly, they needed to attempt to remove the second head due to it's grownig faster than the primary head. Not being well versed in the medical arts, I am not sure what affect this had or has on the primary head...

But it must have been a concern that they felt it was needed at his time.

Peace to the family

She died 12 hours after they removed the other head crying.gif

crying.gif

Seriously?

*bows her head* My her parents be comforted...

It just pains me to see the picture....

Same here.

It is a shame when such things occur.