Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

EU weakened by Eastern European countries?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostElfin, on 07 September 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

I honestly don't give a **** about German philosophy. It's the best soporiphic I know of. To us, the Germans are a humorless, beligerent and intolerant race, with whom we have nothing in common. They know nothing about love, compassion, or the truly meaningful things in life. They only care about power, war and exterminating those weaker than themselves. Or at least, that's our impression of them. We don't like them.
Ououou stop right there. I rather have one german friend then thousands of non germans. They will never ever let you down. As for the humor, they have a greate sense of humor but one has to live there to understand.

#47    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

I honestly don't give a **** about German philosophy. It's the best soporiphic I know of. To us, the Germans are a humorless, beligerent and intolerant race, with whom we have nothing in common. They know nothing about love, compassion, or the truly meaningful things in life. They only care about power, war and exterminating those weaker than themselves. Or at least, that's our impression of them. We don't like them.

You might not like them - I don't have a problem with them at all, thanks.

#48    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostElfin, on 07 September 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

If it's all about mutual benefit, profit and interests, then it's a very tawdry thing indeed.

It doesn't really matter much anyway. The UK will be having a referendum soon to leave the EU. I don't think there's very much doubt which way the vote will go. Let's see how well the EU survives without the massive British subsidy and the London financial markets.

The referendum will be in 2017 if the Conservatives win again, which I doubt.

I think the UK could do very well without the EU if they can keep the strong trading links with other EU countries, just like Norway have done, for example, but if the split is not 'amicable' then the UK could loose lots of revenue, especially the smallest companies as export could  become too costly for them. Let's not forget that to export the Uk will have to abide by the EU regulations and standards anyway. If the split is a friendly one, then the UK could thrive just like Norway and Switzerland.

And then there's politics: without Brussels, Berlin and Paris the Uk might find itself sidelined from big transnational issues. Do we really want to live isolated from the rest?

And Elfin, I've travelled and lived in many countries and I can honestly say that there are good and bad people in every nationality and I have learned that stereotyping is just ignorance.

Edited by Aggie, 09 September 2013 - 09:47 AM.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#49    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostAggie, on 09 September 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I think the UK could do very well without the EU if they can keep the strong trading links with other EU countries, just like Norway have done, for example, but if the split is not 'amicable' then the UK could loose lots of revenue, especially the smallest companies as export could  become too costly for them. Let's not forget that to export the Uk will have to abide by the EU regulations and standards anyway. If the split is a friendly one, then the UK could thrive just like Norway and Switzerland.

And then there's politics: without Brussels, Berlin and Paris the Uk might find itself sidelined from big transnational issues. Do we really want to live isolated from the rest?

And Elfin, I've travelled and lived in many countries and I can honestly say that there is good and bad people in every nationality and I have learned that stereotyping is just ignorance.

If being sidelined from big international issues means not having to fight any more wars, then I think that's a good thing.

The companies that used to sell to Europe can instead sell to our own people, who will no longer be buying stuff from Europe.

#50    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostElfin, on 09 September 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

If being sidelined from big international issues means not having to fight any more wars, then I think that's a good thing.

The companies that used to sell to Europe can instead sell to our own people, who will no longer be buying stuff from Europe.

It's not that simple. Many products are not made/grown/manufactured in here so we'll still have to import but if we export less then many small companies will have to shut.
Like I say, Norway is not part of the EU but they have agreements with them so they can carry on importing and exporting and everybody is happy. If the Uk 'divorces' the EU completely, then we'll suffer.

And being sidelined doesn't mean no more wars cause the UK will always be part of Nato.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#51    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

That's my life in a nutshell. But you put it nicely.

#52    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,799 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostAggie, on 09 September 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

And Elfin, I've travelled and lived in many countries and I can honestly say that there are good and bad people in every nationality and I have learned that stereotyping is just ignorance.

i agree with you - to me the EU was a marvelous idea, the Free trade area is the best part, it makes sense. the co-operation on many fronts is also another, but for me that is were it ends. 90% of British Businesses do not trade with the EU. but for those big businesses which do it is worth while remaining in the Free trade area. i'd like a Norwegian style relationship. as for being sidelined on big issues. as long as we remain part of NATO, and the United Nations - the sidelines are exactly where we should be when it comes to Europe. we'll find in the future Europe's goals and interests will not mirror our own. and this is why we have to plan for this eventuality. co-operation would still remain in defence and security as we witness to day with our long standing commitments with NATO.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users