Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space travelling fantasy

Crabby Kitten

Hi,

Does ayone have any interesting ideas of how we can travel into space in the future? It doesn't matter if some of your ideas sound really far fetched.

Mine are quite outlandish but they are:

1. Miniature spaceships, with cameras and computers attached.

2. Balloon-like space stations that don't burst.

3. Sending plants and vegetable seeds to the moon and Mars, and finding out what happens there to it.

i've always liked the one where you move space around you, rather than moving through space.

• Like 3

Making wormholes big enough to step through and ending up on a planet with breathable air.

Discovering that we are a computer simulation and then taking over the real universe from within this one.

• Like 1

Disengage the time dimension from the space dimensions, then you can travel at your leasure and arrive at your destination at the same moment you began your journey.

• Like 1

I would like to see an Apollo project-style push to build a launch loop.

The Apollo project cost $20 billion in 1970s dollars; I think a launch loop should be realizable for $100 billion.

Then we should launch the components for a large, slow propulsion system (perhaps some sort of electromagnetic propulsion system like those already in use) that would go out to the asteroid belt and push a modest-sized asteroid (say, 20 km in diameter) into geostationary orbit above Earth.

Then we can reshape the asteroid into a spacedock, stick some living quarters in a big rotating ring that provides the effect of standard gravity via centripetal force, and start doing some real research into practical spacecraft.

Plus if we ever figure out a practical cable for a space elevator it would be handy to have the big asteroid there as an anchor.

• Like 3

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

There is a plant that feeds on radiation. It's called radiotrophic fungus. Cover any surface of future space ships with this fungus to protect the crew and materials from exposure to interstellar and solar radiation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Skookum - may I say I LOVE your avatar.

Now to the space travel. I would love to see discovery of a technology like in Mass Effect series. Mass relays that allow traveling from one point of universe to another in hours. But Star Trek universe with warp would be nice as well.

• Like 1

Like Flying on earth Flying into Deep Space will be a knack we have to overcome !

Great Quote.

"There is an art to Flying.THe Knack lies in the Learning how to Throw yourself at the Ground and Miss "

Douglas Adams !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see giving up the idea of sending biological humans via space in huge barrels that need tons of shielding, can't accelerate too fast, and needs to carry life support and it's own garden to grow food and filter the air (and amusement for the astronauts so they won't become psychotic).

My solution is two-way uploading - upload the mind of the astronaut then send it to a dummy body shaped like a human in the speed of light. While the astronaut's mind is inside the robot, the real, biological astronaut is in sleepless hibernation. When the jobs is done, the mind is being moved out of the robot and sent back to earth or the space station where the biological body is, downloaded, and the astronaut wakes up and remembers all the experience as if he was the one travelling.

I think this solution, given the technology, is the cheapest and most efficient, plus, man still gets to go around the universe, but it is no longer limited to earth's gravity or other issues. Imagine "humans" exploring Pluto in that way, or Venus, for months, without the need for food, water or whatever.

It also breaks the light speed barrier - as if, it enables humans to travel at the speed of light. So travelling around the solar system will be a matter of hours, not decades. These androids can be sent to the target location with small ships and being built on site, or even with nano ships which can themselves be accelerated to close to the speed of light and reach their target location, where they will start building these androids and a reception antenna for the mind uploading-downloading process.

This also opens up the neighboring stars to us, let's say up to 10 light years away max, because by the time the astronaut's mind will return from a mission, it has "only" been 20 years top (10 years one way, 10 years another). Travel time for missions to Alpha Centauri will take less than 9 years back and forth.

I honestly believe, that with major breakthrough in neuroscience in the next 100 years, without having to invent any new science, we might be able to conquer all the solar system, and within 150-200 years, become interstellar that way, travelling at the speed of light.

Future young generations, going on school trips to Space museums and learning about the 20th and 21st centuries, will hear how back then "humans had the crazy idea of sending other humans in these huge, dangerous, slow barrels from point A to B as the only meaningful way of space travels, hindering space explorations for decades".

• Like 2