Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

European Union Exit?

questionmark

LONDON — Is Britain moving inexorably toward the European Union’s exit door?

When the European Union unexpectedly won the Nobel Peace Prize this month, the leaders of Germany, France and Italy spoke of their pride. But the British prime minister, David Cameron, maintained an awkward silence.

Before that, the British government said it wanted to exercise an opt out of an estimated 133 areas of European Union police and judicial cooperation to which it had once agreed.

And Mr. Cameron supported a plan for a new budget for countries that use the euro (which Britain does not), something that would place his nation firmly in Europe’s outer tier. The prime minister has been hinting that he could hold a referendum on Britain’s relations with the union, and one newspaper reported recently that a senior cabinet minister wants Britain to threaten openly to leave the 27-nation bloc. There was no official denial of the report.

Read more

• Like 1

Cameron is awkward alright.

He's awkwardly trying to ride two horses as he see's the right of his own party hemorrhaging away to UKIP.

He want's to stay in Europe and appease the Euro-Sceptics as well.

He needs every vote he can get to stop the rot and to help him kick away everyones favourite euro-sceptic comedy Labrador Boris Johnson who's snapping at his heels.

its a move in the right direction. did you see Foreign Secretary William Hague's speech at the EU. also did you see the parliamentary debate - which in itself shows its high on the agenda. were - a Conservative MP has likened the UK's membership of the EU to "being shackled to a corpse" as the Commons debated the case for quitting the union. - the UK had paid more into the EU than it had got back in all but one year since joining, contributions to the EU had risen by 70% in the last three years. Conservative MP Philip Hollobone said the common market promised to UK voters when they backed entry in 1975 had "morphed" into an economic and political union and he feared a "United States of Europe is just around the corner". The UK's multi-billion pound contribution to the EU could be better spent on recruiting more teachers, nurses and doctors, he added, while tighter control over immigration could only truly be achieved outside the 27-member union.

Just look at the EU ruling that the United Kingdom has to give prisoners the right to vote in an election. this was a ruling by the EU Human Rights court in France. if we follow this ruling we'll have to pay prisoners compensation, to the tune of £160 million pounds. so far the prime minister has said he'll take on and ignore the EU. which means we'll be fined by the EU, the question is who should make policy in this country UK Parliament or a EU court in France?

The sooner we leave this monstrous organisation the better.

In yet another move which shows that the EU's leaders are not living in the real world Britain is being told that it must fork out even more money - hard-pressed British taxpayers' money - for the EU.

Cameron, rightly, is planning on vetoing it. He wants the EU budget to be frozen. But Rumpy Pumpy has now come along and said that should Cameron use the veto he will take away Britain's rebate. It makes you think that the EU is not living in the same world as the rest of us and still hasn't realised there's been a Europ-wide recession.

It's time for Britain leaders to start the process of Britain leaving the EU once and for all.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

I'm quite happy for the euro-sceptic right to expose the cracks in the Tory party.

The sooner we kick this hated Tory government out and elect a government that will reassure our european partners that we do understand that our future lies in being a fully participating member of the (Nobel Peace prize winning) European Union the better we will be.

Edited by Atlantia

Excuse a religious nut for joining the conversation. The European Union WILL fully integrate in some form and become a United States of Europe. I hope GB stays out of it except as a trade partner because this union is going to be responsible for very much death and destruction eventually. It might well even absorb the US - what's left of it...

Unity in Europe & the rest of the world is deffinately a goal to seek.

But not at the expense of soverinty and giving up all power to a heirachy.

Britan should throw em the bird & leave..

• Like 1

(snip) The European Union WILL fully integrate in some form and become a United States of Europe. (snip) It might well even absorb the US - what's left of it...

LOL, I liked those bits! ;)

Excuse a religious nut for joining the conversation. The European Union WILL fully integrate in some form and become a United States of Europe. I hope GB stays out of it except as a trade partner because this union is going to be responsible for very much death and destruction eventually. It might well even absorb the US - what's left of it...

I don't think Europe can become like the U.S.. Our states were integrated right as they were created with absolutely no cultural differences or past history of aggression and we still had civil war once.

• Like 1

"Britain’s MEPs were outnumbered by five to one in the Strasbourg vote which could see the country pay about £625million extra into Euro coffers next year"

link :- http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/915879-britain-could-face-625m-bigger-eu-bill-after-inflation-busting-budget-rises-agreed

Sooner we're out the better.

• Like 1

"Britain’s MEPs were outnumbered by five to one in the Strasbourg vote which could see the country pay about £625million extra into Euro coffers next year"

link :- http://www.metro.co....et-rises-agreed

Sooner we're out the better.

Really? Is the war in Afghanistan alone still costing UK taxpayers 2 BILLION a year?

How much have we spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan so far? Over £20 BILLION?

How much did crooked bankers cost this country? The taxpayer bought £45 BILLION of shares in RBS and almost £20 BILLION in Lloyds!

How much would we save if we scrapped the unnecessary Trident replacement? £83.5 BILLION?

A reciprocal relationship with our European partners is an investment in our future and the future of humanity. One that we give to and take from.

I know where I'd rather my taxes went.

Edited by Atlantia

I don't think Europe can become like the U.S.. Our states were integrated right as they were created with absolutely no cultural differences or past history of aggression and we still had civil war once.

Wickian it isn't something I advocate for. It's just a belief - and I could be wrong but I've seen it come about steadily over the past 30 years. I think that if or when a financial collapse occurs that pushes the global economy over the edge, the people of Europe's independent nations will be desperate for ANY solution to get them out of the chaos, hunger and poverty.
  • Like 1

29 June 2012:

David Cameron rules out EU referendum

http://www.telegraph...referendum.html

1 july 2012 :

David Cameron: referendum on Europe may be necessary

http://www.telegraph...-necessary.html

19 july 2012 :

David Cameron says Britain should not leave EU

http://www.telegraph...t-leave-EU.html

8 aug 2012:

Blair is "deeply worried" UK may leave EU: paper

http://www.reuters.c...E8771DU20120808

28 sept 2012:

David Cameron hints at EU referendum after election

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-19761017

19 oct 2012:

Cameron insists UK not leaving Europe

http://www.europeanv...rope/75447.aspx

Can't get more ambiguous than that.

Another speculation to add to the list I guess.

Just what everybody needs right now, creation of more uncertainty and unrest. :tu:

• Like 1

Really? Is the war in Afghanistan alone still costing UK taxpayers 2 BILLION a year?

How much have we spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan so far? Over £20 BILLION?

How much did crooked bankers cost this country? The taxpayer bought £45 BILLION of shares in RBS and almost £20 BILLION in Lloyds!

How much would we save if we scrapped the unnecessary Trident replacement? £83.5 BILLION?

A reciprocal relationship with our European partners is an investment in our future and the future of humanity. One that we give to and take from.

I know where I'd rather my taxes went.

Well, good luck with that.

• Like 2

LOL, I liked those bits! ;)

If / When the United Kingdom holds a referendum and the people choose to leave the political EU. what will you do, will you move to continental Europe? (thats if you currently hail from the United Kingdom)

If / When the United Kingdom holds a referendum and the people choose to leave the political EU. what will you do, will you move to continental Europe? (thats if you currently hail from the United Kingdom)

Seeing as we ARE in the EU, shouldn't it be you planning a move?

Seeing as we ARE in the EU, shouldn't it be you planning a move?

we have not reached the point yet at which i would consider my future. how about yourself? is it much the same?

I see today that Greece as agreed a deal with the IMF and EU concerning the next round of bailout money, the Greek politicians will vote on the matter. Greece will then impose 13.5bn euros ($17.4bn; £10.8bn) of cuts. you wonder how much more the people of Greece can take. what a state of affairs when Greece will run out of cash next month unless it receives 31.2bn euros in loans from the EU-IMF bailout fund.

$17.4bn

we have not reached the point yet at which i would consider my future. how about yourself? is it much the same?

I see today that Greece as agreed a deal with the IMF and EU concerning the next round of bailout money, the Greek politicians will vote on the matter. Greece will then impose 13.5bn euros ($17.4bn; £10.8bn) of cuts. you wonder how much more the people of Greece can take. what a state of affairs when Greece will run out of cash next month unless it receives 31.2bn euros in loans from the EU-IMF bailout fund.

$17.4bn

The question is Steve - how do you imagine that Greece crashing their economy all by themselves would lead ultimately to a better place for the Greek people. I guarantee you that they would already have reverted to a military junta at this stage if they were out of the Euro. It is only the weight of the EU which has allowed them to avail of the cash they have been able to access. In or out of the Eurozone the Greeks are up to their necks in it, at least at the moment they have a paddle.

Br Cornelius

The question is Steve - how do you imagine that Greece crashing their economy all by themselves would lead ultimately to a better place for the Greek people. I guarantee you that they would already have reverted to a military junta at this stage if they were out of the Euro. It is only the weight of the EU which has allowed them to avail of the cash they have been able to access. In or out of the Eurozone the Greeks are up to their necks in it, at least at the moment they have a paddle.

Br Cornelius

I think Greece are so absorbed by the EU they are lost, gone, they owe so much money, they've been annexed by the EU, those who control the money have the power - sadly Greece as no money of its own and so the EU is now in control. - EU MEP's want Spain to ask for a bailout so they too will then be firmly in the clutches of the EU. only two weeks ago Italian prime minister said he fears parliamentary democracy will bring down the EU. - also something i found out only yesterday while watching the EU parliament LIVE, is that any new members who want to join the EU have to change their currency to the Euro. :w00t:

I suspect a referendum on the matter will wind up with most people voting to keep things the way they are.

I think Greece are so absorbed by the EU they are lost, gone, they owe so much money, they've been annexed by the EU, those who control the money have the power - sadly Greece as no money of its own and so the EU is now in control. - EU MEP's want Spain to ask for a bailout so they too will then be firmly in the clutches of the EU. only two weeks ago Italian prime minister said he fears parliamentary democracy will bring down the EU. - also something i found out only yesterday while watching the EU parliament LIVE, is that any new members who want to join the EU have to change their currency to the Euro. :w00t:

So Scotland will have to use the Euro if it goes independent and has to re-join the EU. That should go down well up there.