Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

www.strange.com Any information?

website strange mystery

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• Madness is the emergency exit.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

This seemed the best section to post this in. If you know of a better one, I'll move it. Thanks :)

So, this site is weird. It showed up in 1994, the licence goes until 2014, it gets 12 million visitors per month, and has 100GB of data stored on it. However, if you go to www.strange.com (you need the www) it asks for a username and password. Three wrong attempts blocks your IP. If you use a deep web browser you can just keep changing your IP, though. This was brought to my attention yesterday, and I am very intrigued. I wondered if anyone had any information on it. Here are some threads about it, none of which make much headway. If anyone has any information on it, or any history on it, feel free to post it! Otherwise, we can just have fun discussing "what could be."

https://boards.4chan...74341#p12976142

http://www.reddit.co..._of_strangecom/

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Could it be set up that way to gain attraction? People want what they can't have.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 11 July 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Could it be set up that way to gain attraction? People want what they can't have.

That's a good thought, but, that doesn't explain 12 million visits per month (these are people actually gaining access to the site, it is unlikely that this is just people trying to log in, and if it was, I doubt it would be consistent enough to have that kind of average traffic). People have tried to go around the password popup, but, as I was told, incredibly ridiculous security measures have been set up beyond even that, so that you can't get much info. And it has been set up for nearly 20 years. In 1994 the internet was barely even a thing. Maybe a handful of people would have even stumbled upon it. New info has been given to me suggesting it is perhaps a passthrough for information from the deepweb, however, the deepweb has much lower traffic. It is uncommon for a deepweb site to garner much more than a few hundred thousand visitors per month.

#4    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ah I see. Very interesting indeed. I'm hoping someone has some info. :)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 11 July 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Ah I see. Very interesting indeed. I'm hoping someone has some info. :)

Me too! Thanks for contributing to the convo! :)

#6    Javid86

Javid86

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

This is one of the most interesting things I have heard of in a while. Thanks for posting it and let me know if you ever get any more info on it or if by some miracle you get in.

The mediator between the mind and hands must be the heart.

#7    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostJavid86, on 11 July 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

This is one of the most interesting things I have heard of in a while. Thanks for posting it and let me know if you ever get any more info on it or if by some miracle you get in.

I will. I highly doubt I'll get in. People have been trying to crack it since 1994. So either the traffic is from those who've cracked it, or it is an invite only site. I'm guessing the latter, but I'll definitely let you know if I find any new information.

#8    Nexialist

Nexialist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

I can't believe that I have only just discovered this. Have there been any new developments?

#9    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

Came across a forum wherein it was claimed the website was debunked, it was just something set up for a role playing game.

hard to find anything on it honestly

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#10    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yeah seems to be a part of an old RPG game.

If you go to this link it redirects you to Moosh.net - Cyberpunk, an old text RPG game.

http://lost.strange.com/cp2020/ Don't add www.

And this page has a list of pages on the same server as www.strange.com

http://pastebin.com/PNxaq689

Apparently people have emailed strange@strange.com and have received replies. Seen a few different answers so could all be a mess around.

Anyway it's still interesting.

Edited by DKO, 21 August 2013 - 02:19 AM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#11    Nexialist

Nexialist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

This is the reply somebody got when they emailed the owner of moosh.net

Posted Image

Oh, and this is where the site was first discovered. Some good information here: http://archive.4pleb...hread/12354498/

Edited by Nexialist, 22 August 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#12    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for this! When I was on the trail of figuring it out, I stumbled across this site: http://www.worldofthestrange.com/. It's a different site than what is listed above, but I thought it might be a useful site for those that enjoy many different avenues for research.

Kind Regards!

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#13    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostDKO, on 21 August 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Yeah seems to be a part of an old RPG game.

If you go to this link it redirects you to Moosh.net - Cyberpunk, an old text RPG game.

http://lost.strange.com/cp2020/ Don't add www.

And this page has a list of pages on the same server as www.strange.com

http://pastebin.com/PNxaq689

Apparently people have emailed strange@strange.com and have received replies. Seen a few different answers so could all be a mess around.

Anyway it's still interesting.

Wow, thanks, that's great info! Between you and Nexialist, I think that about kills the legend, but still very cool.

#14    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

View Posttendo, on 29 August 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

Wow, thanks, that's great info! Between you and Nexialist, I think that about kills the legend, but still very cool.

No worries. Still interesting though. One page I read said that a lot of the IP's visiting that page are recurring. Meaning the same people are constantly visiting the site, not just random people trying to get access.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

Also tagged with website, strange, mystery

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users