Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UFO sightings warn of alien invasion

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

STONEFIELD BEACH, Ore. – The search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) is the collective name for a search for intelligent extraterrestrial life, but famed British scientist Stephen Hawking is warning that the SETI efforts ...

http://www.huliq.com...seti’s-search

Posted Image

#2    c87

c87

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

I don't know if it's because I'm tired, but I can't read the article properly. The way it's written seems terrible to me.

#3    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

You're not tired, you're correct! Lots of misspelled/misused words. I don't think the article was written by a journalist...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#4    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,219 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

First of all SETI was shutdown on my knowledge, second Hawking might be right were sending signals to space to whatever,whoever is out there. And we have no idea if that will end up good for us or bad.

#5    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,598 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Posted Image

You should have listened to me... EXTERMINATE!!!

#6    WeaselsRippedMyFlesh

WeaselsRippedMyFlesh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

• From the Earth up through the trees, I can hear her calling me.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Mr. Hawking i salute u

#7    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

I remember Hawking saying something similar to what this article states over a year and a half ago, but this article grossly exaggerates what he said and even takes a lot of it out of context.

My link

Did anyone else watch his series on Discovery? It was fantastic.. I couldn't find the clip, but I know for a fact that he discounts all ufo sightings as ET craft. Thus, this article is garbage..

#8    rttuckers

rttuckers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

• Staring at goats

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Well, I'm not sure they could take us all out to get our stuff, but I'm damn sure honing my guerrilla warfare skills!

#9    Kelbie25

Kelbie25

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

Wish they would hurry already and plunder our land.........................least we would have confirmation!

#10    Surreptitious

Surreptitious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• Words, Meaning, Music.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

So what's the supposed synopsis? That frequent sightings may be a warning of a future invasion? I highly doubt that. Let's say ET has been here for decades and our Governments are well aware of them. They would have obviously made some type of communication and agreement/contract, etc. Who knows how deep that rabbit hole would be!

Legaia is correct about Hawking's stand on the ETH. I doubt his opinion will change. His show was very entertaining. Right up there with Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole.

"Whenever science makes a discovery, the devil grabs it while the angels are debating the best way to use it." ~ A.V.
"A Physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms." ~ G.W.

#11    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 29 May 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

First of all SETI was shutdown on my knowledge, second Hawking might be right were sending signals to space to whatever,whoever is out there. And we have no idea if that will end up good for us or bad.

SETI hasn't been shut down.  SETI is not actually one thing but is the collective name for studies that people undertake to search for ET.  Some of the most well-known projects are run by the SETI Institute.

On April 22, 2011, one project went into "hibernation" due to funding shortfalls for operations of the Allen Telescope Array (ATA) that provides data to SETI.

source: http://en.wikipedia....ETA.2C_and_BETA

#12    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

View PostPersia, on 29 May 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

STONEFIELD BEACH, Ore. – The search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) is the collective name for a search for intelligent extraterrestrial life, but famed British scientist Stephen Hawking is warning that the SETI efforts ...

In his book A Brief History of Time, Hawking suggests that "alerting" extraterrestrial intelligences of our existence is foolhardy, citing mankind's history of treating his fellow man harshly in meetings of civilizations with a significant technology gap. He suggests, in view of this history, that we "lay low".

The concern over SETI was raised by the science journal Nature in an editorial in October 2006, which commented on a recent meeting of the International Academy of Astronautics SETI study group. The editor said, "It is not obvious that all extraterrestrial civilizations will be benign, or that contact with even a benign one would not have serious repercussions" (Nature Vol 443 12 Oct 06 p 606). Astronomer and science fiction author David Brin has expressed similar concerns.

http://en.wikipedia....2Active.22_SETI

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,069 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostPersia, on 29 May 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

Not to mention that there is no town called Stonefield Beach in Oregon. There is a beach named that, but there is no town there.

I think it is a valid point that aliens could possibly come and wipe us out, or... they might be benevolent, it is really hard to say, they are... alien... after all. They would be technologically more advanced then us. Aliens would probably have to be inside our solar system to detect us as is and by then it would be too late anyway.

View PostPax Unum, on 29 May 2011 - 01:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

You should have listened to me... EXTERMINATE!!!
I wonder if anyone has ever gotten him to do that? It would be hilarious.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    philbo

philbo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Not only could but most certainly WOULD.

It's not rocket science..any alien civilisation capable of crossing the vastness of space to get here...isn't coming for a two week vacation and a barbecue.

#15    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,654 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

“We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet,” states Hawking in a statement that was not previously released to the public do to fear it would cause coming from one of the world’s top brains.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users