Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged x 2 ] Lion on Loose in Essex

Junior Chubb

I've just found this, it's an interesting read imo

The Essex lion farce

http://blogs.kentonl...lion-farce.aspx

"Of course, despite this farcical affair, it doesn't explain the fact as to why for the last two-hundred or so years, peope have reported seeing large black cats, and slightly smaller puma-like cats around Ongar Marshes, Epping Forest, Brentwood etc. It also doesn't explain that in the last week I've received 11 reports of black leopard from various parts of Kent and Sussex and none of these were investigated by police helicopters."

Perhaps folk have been claiming to see large predatory cats for the the last 200 years CAN be explained - they were all mistaken just like the people in this current example.

lionxk.jpg

source

Misidentifications and hysteria do occur - perhaps we should be seeking to understand why and under what circumstances they occur? Perhaps we can actually learn something from this case rather than dismiss it as nonsense...

"Of course, despite this farcical affair, it doesn't explain the fact as to why for the last two-hundred or so years, peope have reported seeing large black cats, and slightly smaller puma-like cats around Ongar Marshes, Epping Forest, Brentwood etc. It also doesn't explain that in the last week I've received 11 reports of black leopard from various parts of Kent and Sussex and none of these were investigated by police helicopters."

Perhaps folk have been claiming to see large predatory cats for the the last 200 years CAN be explained - they were all mistaken just like the people in this current example.

lionxk.jpg

source

Misidentifications and hysteria do occur - perhaps we should be seeking to understand why and under what circumstances they occur? Perhaps we can actually learn something from this case rather than dismiss it as nonsense...

Lol, shu up, ya lion!

If feral cats become larger after just a few generations, large feral cats would have been spotted and easily documented all over the world for generations.

Edited by QuiteContrary

This is near my area and it was in the news that the police launched a £25,000 2 day search for the beast, and it turned out to be a large ginger pet cat called Tom.

So, it's nothing.

If feral cats become larger after just a few generations, large feral cats would have been spotted and easily documented all over the world for generations.

Cats going feral and growing to four feet long? All because there's a gap for a large predator? So I suppose we now have foxes which are eight feet long with six inch canine teeth and rats as big as dogs.

The Scottish Wild Cat, by it's very name and nature, is "feral" and is similar to the breed domestic cats are descended from. That being the case, and the fact that they have literally thousands of square miles of countryside over which to range and hunt with no larger predators, for at least two centuries, as competition, why have they remained their original size? By now they should be the size of tigers and terrifying the whole of the Highlands.

Sorry QC, I am a bit 'off' right now.

I didn;t see the IF at the start of your post, lol.

I hope this doesn't end badly

Usually cases like this they do end up killing the animal because tranquilizers take to long to take effect so they usually just have to put the animal down. Also if it is actually a lion I couldnt see them wanting to take any chances on it attacking someone.

I heard the Essex lion was found in the back of someone's wardrobe. When they asked what it was doing, it replied: "Narnia business!"

• Like 1