Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

See Cats That Aren't There

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Silly_Sister

Silly_Sister

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

Hi All,

I'm new... stumbled upon this site when I searched for "hearing voices before falling asleep" and found the thread about knocking noises, voices, etc. right before falling asleep -- glad I'm not the only one  wink2.gif

However, there's another search that I've been doing and haven't come up with anything yet.  It's about seeing a cat(s) out of the *corner of your eye* when there is not one there.

I've been told that this can be a psychologic problem, but was wondering if perhaps since cats are associated with magic, etc., if there is any folklore out there about seeing cats that aren't really there.

I would love to hear any and all thoughts!

cat.gif

#2    eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

• "Who made man's mouth? Who made the deaf, the mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?"

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

Well, black cats are considered bad luck and are usually associated with black magic and things like that.  But (hopefully) you aren't being stalked by magical witch cats. ph34r.gif

Just a quick question.  Do you have any kind of ailurophobia? (fear of cats)

#3    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:55 PM

Well either you have a problem, there is a conspiracy, or someone gave the cats rollerskates.

Go to your doctors maybe, or oil the floor.
It could also just be an overactive imagination.

Forum Boy

#4    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

i see things move in the corner of my eye. curtains, light even bugs and stationary specks of paint.

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#5    Silly_Sister

Silly_Sister

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(eveningsky339 @ Jul 16 2005, 06:41 PM)

Just a quick question.  Do you have any kind of ailurophobia? (fear of cats)

View Post

Good question!  But it's not me who is seeing the cats!  The person who is seeing them loves cats.  Also, her friend sees them as well and is the person who told my sister that seeing cats "that aren't there out of the corner of your eye" is a common occurence among *some* people.  I'm curious as to who those people are and what significance *seeing cats out of your periferal vision* might have.

The other subject we were on is the one I listed above about hearing voices/noises right before falling asleep.  And that's how I found this board.

Has anyone heard of *seeing cats* before??

#6    eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Psychic Spy

• 1,017 posts

• "Who made man's mouth? Who made the deaf, the mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?"

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:31 AM

I belive there was something about it on Animal X years back.  The show was dedicated to "ghost animals."  It freaked the crap outta me.

Ahh, the memories.  I think I'll share a story with you, Silly Sister.

I was a sophomore in High School at Chattanooga Christian.  I was dating a freshman at the time.  She had a pet cat named Tigger, whom she adored.  She had Tigger for five years until one night Tigger drowned in her basement when the creek behind her house overflowed.  As you can imagine, she was devestated.  She stopped calling me and we didn't talk much at school.  

A month later, while still sad over Tigger's death, my girlfriend was much better.  One day I was sitting at my house, watching T.V., like all teenage boys do.  My phone started ringing, and my parents and brothers being out of the house, I was the one to answer it.  It was my girlfriend, and she was crying.  She attempted to talk to me between the sobs.  The conversation went a little like this:

"Michael!  Michael please come get me!"

"Why?  What's wrong?  What's happened?"

"Just hurry up and come get me I can't stay in this house!"

"Heather, what's the matter, what's wrong?"

"Oh my God... It's Tigger... It's Tigger, Michael!"

"What do you mean it's Tigger?"

"Just hurry up and come get me!"

click

She hung up the phone.  Naturally I was very concerned about her and stole my dad's car ( devil.gif ) and drove over to her house.  She was sitting on her porch, crying.  When she saw me, she ran over to the car and hopped in.  

When we reached my house she had calmed down enough to tell me what had happened.  She had been sitting on her couch reading a book, when out of the corner of her eye she saw a cat sitting by the door to the bathroom.  She looked up and saw it was Tigger.  He was staring at her.  She screamed and Tigger's ghost ran across the carpet and into the kitchen, where he vanished.  She then proceeded to freak out and call me.

I am convinced what my girlfriend saw was real because I don't believe I had ever seen her that scared.  She was genuinly frightened out of her mind.  After that incident we never talked about it.  I once mentioned it and she just nodded and said "Yes.  That was a long time ago."  She then steered the conversation in another direction.

I hope your friend isn't this freaked out about seeing cats out of the corner of her eye.  ph34r.gif

#7    XPyromaniacX

XPyromaniacX

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• Burn to Live and Live to Burn

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

I've never heard anything of the like but it could also be a hallucination or a ghost. I happen to believe in ghosts but not blindly and almost every case is fake or outrageous. It's most likely a hallucination or you never saw it if you saw it out of the corner of your eye or something like that.

Burn to Live and Live to Burn.

http://bobbofoggo.tripod.com/

Posted Image

#8    eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Psychic Spy

• 1,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(XPyromaniacX @ Jul 16 2005, 10:55 PM)
I've never heard anything of the like but it could also be a hallucination or a ghost. I happen to believe in ghosts but not blindly and almost every case is fake or outrageous. It's most likely a hallucination or you never saw it if you saw it out of the corner of your eye or something like that.

View Post

Good answer.  Most likely it is just one of those little things you see out of the corner of your eye all the time but isn't there.

Allow me to ellaborate.

i see things move in the corner of my eye. curtains, light even bugs and stationary specks of paint.

We all see little things out of the corners of our eyes.  It's just natural.  We see something in our peripheral vision, our brain doesn't know what to make of it, so it can be anything, really.

But why does your friend see cats most of the time instead of bugs, specks of paint, etc?  You stated the answer yourself.
The person who is seeing them loves cats.

Like I said, our brain doesn't really know what to make of things, so we can percieve them as anything.  But your sister happens to love cats, so her brain, above all, wants to see cats out of the corner of her eye.  So the little things that she sees, or things that may not be there at all, are percieved as cats.

I hope this has helped to answer your question, Silly Sister.  original.gif

#9    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:54 AM

I have heard of people seeing alot of things but never a cat,  hmm.gif Un less you were a witch in a post life, i would go see my doctor! good luck. dontgetit.gif

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#10    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,831 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

You know, I can beleive it.  There can be something very mysterious about cats... there are quite a few stories about people seeing the doppleganger of their own cat, either a ghost like eveningsky's story, or even letting it out and then going back in and finding it asleep on the bed... or seeing cats that they don't own and no one's ever seen before sitting there in the house as if they own the place, then disappearing as mysteriously as it came... cats can definitely be spooky sometimes.

Welcome to UM, Silly_Sister, and thanks for not claiming that you have physcic powers.  original.gif

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#11    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

the specks of paint fly around and land where they are like a fly. it deffienetly isnt a fly.

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
- Dave Gorman

- Papa Lazarou

#12    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

Sometimes when I look around quickly or spin when I am turning to go down another set of stairs, I see a silvery streak.

Probably an optical illusion or something.

Forum Boy

#13    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

does anyone else see those specks or streaks which all fall below your eyes? i see them every day. what are they?

i said
- Dave Gorman

- Papa Lazarou

#14    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Do you see them when you move your head quickly or turn quickly?

Forum Boy

#15    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

happens all the time. sometimes when i move my head quickly. sometimes when its stationary. they just seem to float down my eyes, but i cant focus on them.

i said
- Dave Gorman

- Papa Lazarou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users