Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

The Myth of Human Progress


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Complex civilizations have a bad habit of destroying themselves. Anthropologists including Joseph Tainter in “The Collapse of Complex Societies,”

http://www.truthdig....gress_20130113/

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined:05 Jan 2012

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

View Postthe L, on 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Complex civilizations have a bad habit of destroying themselves. Anthropologists including Joseph Tainter in “The Collapse of Complex Societies,”

http://www.truthdig....gress_20130113/

Interesting article....though it seems that because of the content of it, perhaps it would fit better in another forum?


#3    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Very marxist approach to history and climatology.  A bit confused article who would be better off in conspiracy theory or make belief faerie tales forum.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#4    Gummug

Gummug

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,375 posts
  • Joined:14 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Interesting article. I agree with a lot of what he says, but not about the climate change. The climate has always been changing, how do we know for sure it's because of what we humans do? I also think oil drilling, and the fractal method in particular, get a bad rap.

Posted Image


#5    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostGummug, on 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Interesting article. I agree with a lot of what he says, but not about the climate change. The climate has always been changing, how do we know for sure it's because of what we humans do? I also think oil drilling, and the fractal method in particular, get a bad rap.
Shusss you gonna hurt some feelings saying that... In fact the Egyptians were already driving Humvee in the 3rd millennium BCE that is why Egypt and the entire Mediterranean coast of Africa became a desert.. they didn't pay attention to ozone layers nor CO2 emissions back then.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#6    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined:05 Jan 2012

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostParacelse, on 15 January 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Very marxist approach to history and climatology.  A bit confused article who would be better off in conspiracy theory or make belief faerie tales forum.

We have a make-believe fairie tales forum?  Wouldn't that put it right back here in crypto where it started?  :lol:


#7    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 15 January 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

We have a make-believe fairie tales forum?  Wouldn't that put it right back here in crypto where it started?  :lol:
Didn't even noticed which forum it was in :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#8    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,381 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

View Postthe L, on 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Complex civilizations have a bad habit of destroying themselves. Anthropologists including Joseph Tainter in “The Collapse of Complex Societies,”

http://www.truthdig....gress_20130113/


I do not think we are doomed.  This same senario plays out over and over again throughout history.  Humans hate change, but when forced to it or even dragged in to it kicking and screaming we have an incredible ability to adapt and overcome.  I believe this situation will turn out the same.  In the end, right before it is too late we will throw ourselves into it and find a solution.  It is a shame that it will come to that because it will cost more in every way imaginable, but such is life.


#9    redhen

redhen

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined:14 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Samsara

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostParacelse, on 15 January 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Very marxist approach to history and climatology.

"The human species, led by white Europeans and Euro-Americans, has been on a 500-year-long planetwide rampage of conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the Earth—as well as killing the indigenous communities that stood in the way"

Wow, not very nuanced is it? Why doesn't he tell us how he really feels?


#10    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postredhen, on 16 January 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

"The human species, led by white Europeans and Euro-Americans, has been on a 500-year-long planetwide rampage of conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the Earth—as well as killing the indigenous communities that stood in the way"

Wow, not very nuanced is it? Why doesn't he tell us how he really feels?

I don't know I wasn't there and as far as I know I haven't killed anyone yet... haven't conquered anyone yet and haven't imposed my religious views to anyone yet... so do you care to re-phrase that????

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#11    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,768 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your guess is as good as mine!

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

View Postredhen, on 16 January 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

"The human species, led by white Europeans and Euro-Americans, has been on a 500-year-long planetwide rampage of conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the Earth—as well as killing the indigenous communities that stood in the way"

Wow, not very nuanced is it? Why doesn't he tell us how he really feels?

It reads like leftist propaganda. I would agree with the quote if the author would replace "White Europeans" and "Euro-Americans" with "violent people". I'm not a fan of racism in the guise of history. That includes racist insults of White people.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#12    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

It reads like leftist propaganda. I would agree with the quote if the author would replace "White Europeans" and "Euro-Americans" with "violent people". I'm not a fan of racism in the guise of history. That includes racist insults of White people.

Empire building and violence is not only a white european trait it goes for people of all places on all continents.The europeans just spread farther possibly because of their technology.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,625 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think, reading what you guys have said about it, that I will pass on this one and not waste my time or my anger reading it.


#14    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,768 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your guess is as good as mine!

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 17 February 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Empire building and violence is not only a white european trait it goes for people of all places on all continents.The europeans just spread farther possibly because of their technology.

There's no doubt about it. Just ask Genghis Khan. He and his military could have conquered Europe. They combined superior tactics with superior technology. The infantry was no match for his cavalry. The armor was no match for his arrows. His forces murdered and enslaved millions of Asians and Europeans. Somehow, I doubt that leftist authors mention this all that much.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#15    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,768 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your guess is as good as mine!

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 February 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I think, reading what you guys have said about it, that I will pass on this one and not waste my time or my anger reading it.

Speaking of the imperial Mongolians, the Vietnamese forces stopped them when they tried to conquer their country. The battles demonstrated how vital terrain is to combat.

There is one reality with billions of versions.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users