Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

'Marriage Equality' Includes Polygamy'


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,294 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Polygamist insurance should come with free mental health insurance and emergency button with 90 second response time.

My assumption and please sue me, is that the women will be from abused backgrounds, the men will be narcissistic control freaks and their will be rampent fighting/poisoning/psychotic mind games all across the board, in most cases.

For the pure free loving people in the universe... well arent you so beautiful...

Dont let anybody stop you from doing what you feel in your heart is right.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#47    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,230 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Deep South

  • We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Unfortunately polygamy often involves cults, rape, and brainwashing.   Not to mention ripping off the government.  So I can't say I'm in favor of it.

http://en.wikipedia....tter-Day_Saints

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#48    green_dude777

green_dude777

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Joined:24 May 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 19 April 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately polygamy often involves cults, rape, and brainwashing.   Not to mention ripping off the government.  So I can't say I'm in favor of it.

http://en.wikipedia....tter-Day_Saints

Right, like the cult these guys were all part of:

http://www.rickbeckm...multiple-wives/


#49    Gromdor

Gromdor

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined:16 Jul 2011

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

Well, in the United States you are already allowed to have as many husbands or wives as you like.  Just one at a time.


#50    Harte

Harte

    Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

  • Skeptic

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostCopasetic, on 19 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Sorry I'm tired and post-call. Are you being sarcastic here?
Only about halfway.

There are cutures today where parents m********e their children to stop their crying.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#51    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 5,471 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

I guess views on what is 'moral' change.. and laws follow?    I'm not sure that laws, and traditions, defining and restricting marriage have been entirely good for human society?  Probably good for the most part?

.. but these things, through the application of human nature,  have a way of working themselves out ?    Is cow marrying likely to become widespread without laws to prohibit it? ..and how many rational men actually want more than one wife!?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#52    Copasetic

Copasetic

    438579088 what am I?

  • Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • Joined:12 Apr 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostHarte, on 20 April 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Only about halfway.

There are cutures today where parents m********e their children to stop their crying.

Harte

If you honestly think legalizing gay marriage is a slippery slope to people marrying animals I don't know what to say: other than you'd be an idiot and I've lost lots of respect for you.


#53    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

    Odd Plant Grower

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere east of San Francisco

  • You can't just choose to believe something.

    Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't have any problems with polygamy per se, as long as All parties come to a complete understanding and are in complete agreement on all issues.....and that they are not on any kind of public assistance, or at least the kind that is abusing the system like the FLDS does.

The one problem with the FLDS that stands out with me is that some men have ten to twenty wives. Usually older men taking brides that are still teenagers (some under the age of eighteen).

When one man has that many wives, the younger men are often forced out of their communities because there aren't enough available young women for them. Most people want to get married, but if all of the young women are already taken by these elder members of the church, it doesn't leave much in the way of options for these younger men. It might be different if the ratio of boys to girls was very disproportionate leaning heavily towards more baby girls being born than males......but it's not. This is my one big problem with polygamy......

Edited by Euphorbia, 21 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#54    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • Joined:09 Nov 2003
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Medford Oregon

  • Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Gee we get it some of you don't like gays, but to use polygamy as the big "slippery slope" argument is weak. If CONSENTING ADULTS (not sure what part of this some of you have a difficult time understanding) want to be in a polygamous marriage fine with me. If they want to have three husbands and eight wives, as long as any resulting kids are well taken care of and not abused, so what? Do you want every relationship decision and sexual act you've ever done with another adult given public access and debate? I highly doubt it. IF an act includes anyone or anything that cannot give consent, be it an adult in an incapacitated state, or an animal or whatever then you bet that person should face legal actions, if someone or something can't consent it's rape. However if they are an adult and said yes and nothing else illegal went down (physical harm) then that is private. If they are harmed in anyway they didn't agree to then sure they can face jail time and should. But if they consent and it's between two people who can make their own decisions then it is none of yours, or my business.

Marriage is not sacrosanct as much as some would like to argue, given that heterosexual marriages end in divorce over 50% of the time, that Britney Spears can have a 55 hour marriage annulled, that Kim Kardashian can basically marry for profit and publicity and all of those are legal marriages. The whole "definition" of marriage is invalid simply because the definition has always changed, marriage between a man and woman used to in the past required dowry, land transfers and you couldn't marry someone of another race, religion or class without public outcry or going to jail. Times change, if you don't like it, don't marry more than one person.

Edited by darkmoonlady, 21 April 2013 - 07:44 PM.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#55    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

    Integrity is all we have

  • Member
  • 2,583 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:White Cloud

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 21 April 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Gee we get it some of you don't like gays, but to use polygamy as the big "slippery slope" argument is weak. If CONSENTING ADULTS (not sure what part of this some of you have a difficult time understanding) want to be in a polygamous marriage fine with me. If they want to have three husbands and eight wives, as long as any resulting kids are well taken care of and not abused, so what? Do you want every relationship decision and sexual act you've ever done with another adult given public access and debate? I highly doubt it. IF an act includes anyone or anything that cannot give consent, be it an adult in an incapacitated state, or an animal or whatever then you bet that person should face legal actions, if someone or something can't consent it's rape. However if they are an adult and said yes and nothing else illegal went down (physical harm) then that is private. If they are harmed in anyway they didn't agree to then sure they can face jail time and should. But if they consent and it's between two people who can make their own decisions then it is none of yours, or my business.

Marriage is not sacrosanct as much as some would like to argue, given that heterosexual marriages end in divorce over 50% of the time, that Britney Spears can have a 55 hour marriage annulled, that Kim Kardashian can basically marry for profit and publicity and all of those are legal marriages. The whole "definition" of marriage is invalid simply because the definition has always changed, marriage between a man and woman used to in the past required dowry, land transfers and you couldn't marry someone of another race, religion or class without public outcry or going to jail. Times change, if you don't like it, don't marry more than one person.

Why is there a desire to call other forms of relationships "marriage". It is like these people involved in other forms of relationships need to be reassured that what they are doing is "right". Nothing can do that. It is what it is and if you aren't comfortable with it then calling it marriage wont change that,


#56    shadowhive

shadowhive

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,886 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Uk

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 21 April 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Why is there a desire to call other forms of relationships "marriage". It is like these people involved in other forms of relationships need to be reassured that what they are doing is "right". Nothing can do that. It is what it is and if you aren't comfortable with it then calling it marriage wont change that,

Why is there a desire to keep marriage as a static insitituion? What is exactly the massive problem in atltering it to allow others? Whatever marriage 'was' it isn't aymore and it has no baring. It's not owned by any religion. It's not sacred. It's not about procreation. So what? It just boils down to the rather selfish belief that you just want to stamp your foot and keep things as they are. Well, sorry, the world does not work that way. Change can, does and will happen and it's happened in virtually every other area of society.

The people involved don't need to reassured their relationships are right, they need to be sure their relationships are respected. And the trouble is a gay couple in a civil union for years isn't as respected as a quick five minute marriage that lasts for weeks.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#57    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    Is not a number!

  • Member
  • 9,446 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

So what?
How is Peter marrying Paul, or Archie marrying Betty and Veronica going to affect you me or the man down the street??
I'd marry a woman. Just the one. Because that's me. I'm a private sort of gent. Maybe someone else will marry a couple of women, a few men and have a big house full of noise and energy and life. Good for them.

I don't like dogs so I don't have one. Shocking isn't it. Maybe I should campaign against dog ownership as it's "offensive".


#58    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

    Odd Plant Grower

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere east of San Francisco

  • You can't just choose to believe something.

    Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 21 April 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

So what?
How is Peter marrying Paul, or Archie marrying Betty and Veronica going to affect you me or the man down the street??
I'd marry a woman. Just the one. Because that's me. I'm a private sort of gent. Maybe someone else will marry a couple of women, a few men and have a big house full of noise and energy and life. Good for them.

I don't like dogs so I don't have one. Shocking isn't it. Maybe I should campaign against dog ownership as it's "offensive".

You don't like dogs?  :huh:

One of my bestest friends in the whole world is a dog! He doesn't lie to me and is always loyal........plus he loves to play a lot. He treats me better than most people I know.....  :)

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#59    Harte

Harte

    Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

  • Member
  • 8,614 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

  • Skeptic

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostCopasetic, on 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

If you honestly think legalizing gay marriage is a slippery slope to people marrying animals I don't know what to say: other than you'd be an idiot and I've lost lots of respect for you.
Don't worry.  That was the 50% sarcasm.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#60    Ryinrea

Ryinrea

    Princess of Yang

  • Member
  • 2,589 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Humble, Texas

  • "Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a messiah complex and a lot of enemies." -Lex Luthor Smallville

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

So how does one get pedophilia is going to be accepted since people giving others the right to the word marriage is being accepted? I don't think you understand the term consenting adult either. Anyone under the  states consenting  ages for sex can not legally consent to this type of thing thus pedophilia is a red haring to bring up in this case.  Also if they all are consenting adults  then why bother them with laws that takes away people rights to life liberality and pursuit of happiness.

Quote

“In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users