Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anubis, Thoth and Ma'at

desert palm tree

Anubis, Thoth and Ma'at...who are these gods and goddess?Are they Egyptian trinity? Many interpretations have been made - without much relevance. Anubis sky god - Father God? Thoth, son of God, Ma'at , Holy Ghost?

Christian gods or three god in one, fATHER,sON and hOLY gHOST, what's got to do with salvation?

Anubis. Appearance: Man with a jackal head; A jackal. Anubis was the god of embalming and the dead.The name is ancient Greek and is associated with the mummification and the afterlife in ancient Egyptian religion.

Thoth. God of the Moon, Magic and Writing. he is known as other names too.

Maat or ma'at 1] also spelled māt or mayet, was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice.

• Like 1

No one agrees with me yet but I believe Ma'at was the "Goddess of Truth and Balance". This

was a natural phenomenon that man observed in nature and adopted for his own use. Ma'at

was necessary even for the sun to rise so it was crucial that man lived by her tenents. This was

not merely truth and balance but more the balance of truth and the truth inherent in balance.

One trues a scale to achieve balance and balances a scale to achieve truth.

Thot is a little more complicated to express in modern language. It's tempting to define him as

the "natural phenomenon of man" or "God of Man" but this misses the mark a little. Thot was

more like "human progress" or "natural phenomenon of the improvement in metaphysics". He

was a voice of the gods and the way man understood the "gods". He was more associated

with language than most other things. His consort was Seshat who was the "phenomenon of

writing".

Anubis is simple enough. He was the head jackal who made the king eternal. The jackals

built the pyramid and he was the on the box which held the firepan and directed all operations

from atop the pyramid. He was the phenomena of pyramid building and he weighed the king's

heart to assure he was worthy of immortality.

I'm sure religion came from ancient concepts but I'm starting to think the more direct route

was through Horus the Elder/ Horus the Younger/ Atum. I believe religion was an attempt

to preserve ancient knowledge. In some ways it's been highly successful but in other ways

not.

• Confused 1

Anubis is simple enough. He was the head jackal who made the king eternal. The jackals

built the pyramid and he was the on the box which held the firepan and directed all operations

from atop the pyramid. He was the phenomena of pyramid building and he weighed the king's

heart to assure he was worthy of immortality.

Must have been mighty crowded ontop of that pyramid, what with the microwave transmitter, subspace communicator, beacon to guide survivors of the "flood" to come the "recovery vault", beacon to guide the starships in to land and who knows what others devices.

As for trinities. Well this changed over the millenia, though I don't see a trinity in the way of having three main gods who are also one. A "conventional" trinity as in other religions, Greek or Roman for instance, could be Ra, Osiris and Isis. But perhaps a more mystical one would be one of the later syncretic gods. Atum -Ra or Ra-Horakhty or other combinations with Ptah. I see Ra-Horakhty as being closest to the Christian trinity as this is not simply Ra and Horus, seemingly a duality, for there are different forms of Horus and I think even Khonsu can be added to them as he outgrew his earlier war god manifestation and became, to me, a variant of Horus. I would even go so far as to say a dark side of Horus. No evidence for this, simply a "feeling" but these days "feelings" or anything else seem to be "evidence" so I join in :)

Must have been mighty crowded ontop of that pyramid, what with the microwave transmitter, subspace communicator, beacon to guide survivors of the "flood" to come the "recovery vault", beacon to guide the starships in to land and who knows what others devices.

Don't forget all those Horus' up there "who" had to be conducted to their

proper places.

As for trinities. Well this changed over the millenia, though I don't see a trinity in the way of having three main gods who are also one. A "conventional" trinity as in other religions, Greek or Roman for instance, could be Ra, Osiris and Isis. But perhaps a more mystical one would be one of the later syncretic gods. Atum -Ra or Ra-Horakhty or other combinations with Ptah. I see Ra-Horakhty as being closest to the Christian trinity as this is not simply Ra and Horus, seemingly a duality, for there are different forms of Horus and I think even Khonsu can be added to them as he outgrew his earlier war god manifestation and became, to me, a variant of Horus. I would even go so far as to say a dark side of Horus. No evidence for this, simply a "feeling" but these days "feelings" or anything else seem to be "evidence" so I join in :)

I'm not married to the trinity idea. There's not really evidence per se for it anyway.

It's just that there's nothing new today and this was just as true in the 4th dynasty and

ever since. There are some "natural trinities" in the enneads defined as three trinities.

Never discount "feelings" so long as they come from an educated gut. Just remember

that even the strongest feeling might be nothing but a little gas. You can't use feelings

to create an argument and only a fool would spend a lot of effort to build on them.

Edited to add that Anubis seems exceedingly well defined in the cultural record. He was

later mistaken to be the so called "god of embalming" but this is a perfectly natural con-

fusion once they no longer built pyramids. The gods simply morphed into things that

still existed. Where Anubis had enabled the king to live forever by building his ka, he

came to help people live forever by preserving their bodies through mummification. These

changes are actually apparent if you believe the pyramid builders were highly rational.

Edited by cladking
  • Confused 1

You can't use feelings

to create an argument and only a fool would spend a lot of effort to build on them.

Yes, I found out here very recently that feelings and fools make for "interesting" "debate" Oi oi oi......

No one agrees with me yet but I believe Ma'at was the "Goddess of Truth and Balance".

? huh ?

Its in the post above yours.

As for this bit?

"This was not merely truth and balance but more the balance of truth and the truth inherent in balance.

One trues a scale to achieve balance and balances a scale to achieve truth. "

ieeRSPq_zpsd37a1e6c.gif

? huh ?

As for this bit?

"This was not merely truth and balance but more the balance of truth and the truth inherent in balance.

ieeRSPq_zpsd37a1e6c.gif

I was wondering the same thing!!

Ma'at is indeed the "Goddess of Truth and Balance"

Ma'at, unlike Hathor and Nephthys, seemed to be more of a concept than an actual goddess. Her name, literally, meant 'truth' in Egyptian. She was truth, order, balance and justice personified. She was harmony, she was what was right, she was what things should be. It was thought that if Ma'at didn't exist, the universe would become chaos, once again!

Maat or ma'at (thought to have been pronounced *[muʔ.ʕat]),[1] also spelled māt or mayet, was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice. Maat was also personified as a goddess regulating the stars, seasons, and the actions of both mortals and the deities, who set the order of the universe from chaos at the moment of creation. Her (ideological) counterpart was Isfet.
Link

and CK, it is the general consensus.

Funny, you going mainstream.

Damn! this forum should have a ROFL icon to use in special occasions like this.!!

• Like 1

Majestic 12 , I believe you well define Ma'at and Thoth, but for the Anubis . . .

Anubis is not Jackal, but dog. Dogs have honesty, courage with patience and tenderness. Thoth the embodiment of Truth, knowledge, intellect , and the "heart and tongue of Ra " must balance himself with feather / simplicity , scale /justice, balance. And with Ma'at who keeps watching if the weighing of the heart is done properly - with tender love, conscience.

And also with Anubis who keep his faith , faith of immortality, peace and good will. Keep watching with honest brave heart.

You sound a bit like a Renaissance hermeticist desperately trying to match christian iconography with ancient ones to "prove" the christian god was there the whole time.

I would be /extremely/ cautious about applying a basic tenet of Christianity (the trinity) to Ancient Egyptian religion. It's about as useful and about informative to compare those three gods to Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza and Elaine Benes. Try to understand Ancient Egyptian gods in the terms used by the Ancient Egyptians.

--Jaylemurph

? huh ?

As for this bit?

The_Spartan;

"and CK, it is the general consensus.

Funny, you going mainstream."

This is simply one of the concepts where mainstream and I are in fairly close agreement. We

get all our opinions from the same source so it's only natural we'd closely agree sometimes. Indeed,

I often say that I believe the mainstream opinion is usually correct but only in a left handed sort of way.

Our agreement on "Ma'at" is not nearly soclose as you seem to believe though. First off, and most im-

portantly the ancients did not see maat as a god. Maat was an aspect of nature that nothing went to

waste. If a bird died then it was eaten by a scavenger. If something went up then it came down. They

didn't worship or praise "Ma'at", they observed that maat existed. They didn't believe in "Ma'at" they saw

that without maat not even the sun could rise. "Khepri" was the aspect of pre-existence as exemplifief by

the same sunspots in the east that had set the day before in the west. They knew it was the same sun;

khepri, and they knew that ma'at was responsible for it rising again. This is science rather than religion.

It is primitive science based on observation and logic rather than observation and experiment. "Ma'at"

is usually mistranslated apparently as "truth" but a better translation is usually "balance". It is both but

we have few usages of it and the nature of most of these usages are cancerned more with balance than

truth.

When the science is done and there's any cause to accept mainstream opinion, then I'll go mainstream.

• Confused 1

You sound a bit like a Renaissance hermeticist desperately trying to match christian iconography with ancient ones to "prove" the christian god was there the whole time.

I would be /extremely/ cautious about applying a basic tenet of Christianity (the trinity) to Ancient Egyptian religion. It's about as useful and about informative to compare those three gods to Jerry Seinfeld, George Costanza and Elaine Benes. Try to understand Ancient Egyptian gods in the terms used by the Ancient Egyptians.

I'm of the opinion that the pagan religions essentially evolved into Christianity, Islam, etc...

However, I strongly disagree and the original "gods" were not Gods at all and were actually

a representation of scientific thought.

Edited by cladking
  • Confused 1

Damn! this forum should have a ROFL icon to use in special occasions like this.!!

Something like this? ca24c574a575.gif

I'm of the opinion that the pagan religions essentially evolved into Christianity, Islam, etc...

I'm not sure I'd use the term 'evolve', as it suggests to me a directly linear, formative relationship. However, it's undeniably true, as you say, that various local gods and traditions deeply affected christianity as it grew -- look at Santeria in Central America, or the fact that Easter in English is named after a Celtic fertility goddess.

--Jaylemurph

Ma'at <holy ghost >love.

Thoth<jesus of egypt > truth.

Anubis<father >life.

Ma'at <holy ghost >love.

Thoth<jesus of egypt > truth.

Anubis<father >life.

Ma'at > Snap

Thoth > Crackle

Anubis > Pop

Just because you can make comparisons doesn't mean that was inherently part of the idea of the people who created the original.

--Jaylemurph

I'm not sure that the Vatican wasn't involved in Renaissance Hermeticism at one stage, and probably still are in religious beliefs:-

http://footnotes2plato.com/2012/08/13/hermeticism-and-the-politics-of-magic/

Pope Paul III proclaimed Licet ab initio, establishing The Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition on 21st July 1542 in Rome, link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_for_the_Doctrine_of_the_Faith

A few years later Exposcit Debitum was proclaimed in Rome on 21st July 1550, that is the papal bull that established The Jesuits, link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposcit_debitum

Many catholic religious orders are aligned to Sirius or Alnilam, Belt of Orion, 21st July on 1542 and 1550 are auspicious dates in Rome, perhaps very Egyptian in nature, as during that time in Rome Sirius rose with the Sun on 21st July, astronomy graph on link below:-

http://2012forum.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3546&mode=view

A lot of people during the Renaissance did mix up Hermetic ideas with christian beliefs!

any given post, trust it to monk to drag his sirius into it.

No correlation at all with the subject of the post.

Edited by The_Spartan

any given post, trust it to monk to drag his sirius into it.

No correlation at all with the subject of the post.

Yeah, but ask him what "aligned" means and see if he gives you a straight answer. He's just trying to get people to go to his Sirius thread, since no one there will talk to him. (See previous sentence.)

--Jaylemurph

No one on this forum should have any difficulty knowing that Sirius rose with the Sun and thus aligned in Egyptian Calendar, so why choose not to understand the same in Rome, when you have research that show links then you tend to have a great deal of information.

The OP wants to show some link between the so called Egyptian Trinity and the Christian Trinity.

What does the sirius alignment crap have to do with this linking between them?

Nothing!

• Like 1

Anubis is not Jackal, but dog. Dogs have honesty, courage with patience and tenderness.

1995a. , [thy (lit. his) face] like (that of) a jackal, thy (lit. his) seat like (that of) ḳbḥ.wt;

1995b. she refreshes thy heart in thy body, in the house of her (lit. thy) father Anubis.

"Kbḥ.wt;" is at the "double rail end of the ladder" ie- the top which is the location of Anubis. She

is the daughter of Anubis.

1867b. thou hast descended like the jackal of the South, like Anubis who is over (i.e. protects) the (southern) ’itr.t-palace;

Mercer's interpretation is apparently wrong here; Anubis is over the ’itr.t-palace

1713b. Thou goest forth at the voice (of Anubis), for he has spiritualized thee,

1713c. like Thot, (or) like Anubis, prince of the court of justice (or, divine court),

...1719d. as the jackal (god), nome-governor (of the Bows), the Two Enneads,

2128b (Nt. 834). thy forepart being like that of a jackal, thy hinderpart like Ḳbḥ.wt.

Again, this is the daughter of Anubis and provides a clue to the appearance of Anubis.

2026a. O N., who keeps secret his form, like Anubis on his belly,

2026b. receive thy face of a jackal; raise thyself up; stand up.

804d. as the jackal god, nome-governor of the Bows, as Anubis who presides over the pure (holy) land.

1380b. Let him raise himself up, Anubis, he who is in the mnwi-shrine.

1380c. Thy feet are like those of a jackal; stand up.

1257a. They prevent thee from rotting, in accordance with this thy name of "Anubis";

1257b. they prevent thy putrefaction from flowing to the ground,

1257c. in accordance with this thy name of "jackal of the South";

There are several others but they are either embedded in the text or dependent on my

interpretation of the PT in order to be supportive of the argument that Anubis was initially

a jackal. In any case it is quite apparent that Anubis was a jackal or, at the least, the word

was translated by Mercer as "jackal".

I'm aware that later people and the Greeks considered him a dog.

• Confused 1

In John's revelation chapter 12 there is a woman clothed a sun. The sun which the woman clothed is Sirius, while the woman is our sun. The woman is a symbol of Ma'at and Thoth , a generic term not feminine or masculine. The sun which the woman clothed is a symbol of Anubis.

Anubis is a dog-star Sirius, and the woman....offcourse she is Ma'at. But her child could be Thoth, a New Year month[moon] in Egyptian calendar. Moon the symbol of Thoth, and Thout - first month of the year

• Like 1

Abba Mudda has interesting Hermetic beliefs, i have no problem with that at all, only with secret societies who misinterpret the role of religious beliefs and use them in politics and war, as shown regarding inquisition.

So Spartan, to your comments i say "That Dog Won't Hunt". Meaning by Southern American slang, you are not making sense!

Sirius has long been part of Hermetic beliefs, as mentioned below:-

http://aleph.ngsm.or...OTh/8hermes.htm

Jaylemurph mentioned hermetic on thread section #10 on previous page, so i'm not off topic!

Edited by monk 56

Abba Mudda is a new member, but at least i took the time to debate with him on another thread he started below:-

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=246861

It might seem i'm against these type of beliefs, which isn't true, in a democracy you can have any belief you like within the law and you are not hurting anyone!

However i'm not keen on secret societies using beliefs in politics, any religion is fine when used for personal development, obviously hermetic beliefs are different from what we know of ancient Egyptian thesis, but you find that in any religion.

Perhaps members who are not moderators should leave comments to the real moderator of this forum, and not try to moderate themselves, as often they are wrong in interpretation!