Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lykoi 'Werewolf' Cats Bred In Tennessee

Still Waters

A new breed of cat that looks like a werewolf and behaves like a dog has been developed by U.S. breeders

The Lykoi gets its spooky looks because of a genetic mutation in a domestic shorthair cat, which prevents the curious creature from growing a full coat of fur, making it looks like a werewolf.

http://www.dailymail...s-like-DOG.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/12/werewolf-cats-lykoi-_n_4772733.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Edited by Still Waters
Additional source link added
  • Like 1

If I ever get another cat I'm thinking about getting a couple of these, Savannah Cats.

Link: http://en.wikipedia....i/Savannah_(cat)

Edited by Saru
Images removed due to copyright
  • Like 1

Terrific, give people another excuse to be mean to/hate cats, make them "werecats". :td:

Edited by QuiteContrary

Actually, these make great pets. They actually have more dog-like mannerisms than cat. They can be leash trained, they love water, but they are the world's largest domestic breed of cat and they have super leaping ability. They can leap eight feet straight up from a sitting position and go about 40 lbs in the larger F1 types. From what I understand they get along well with other pets and humans.

They are gorgeous though.

Terrific, give people another excuse to be mean to/hate cats, make them "werecats". :td:

Hey, haters are gonna hate.

One of those kitties reminds me a little of the aye-aye (spelling). Those big eyes and cute face.

They look adorable though but if their appearance is due to some genetic mutation then what else are these mutations affecting. It is never restricted to just the fur...or lack thereof.

• Like 1

The Lykoi gets its spooky looks because of a genetic mutation in a domestic shorthair cat, which prevents the curious creature from growing a full coat of fur, making it looks like a werewolf.

and making it incapable of surviving outside in many parts of the world. Thanks.

People will do absolutely anything for money. The corollary is that people will buy anything that makes them stand out.

People suck.

• Like 3

I agree with Ryu and Redhed. Breeders have not done cats or dogs any favors with their genetic tricks. They have just created another animal to suffer all its life with genetic problems. I get in arguments with breeders all the time over this.

• Like 1

Get yourself one of those 'were-cat' thingies in the UK and within seconds the RSPCA would be feeling your collar for animal neglect!

• Like 1

Even a kitty who is pure of heart

and eats his kibbles at night,

May become a wolf when the catnip blooms

and the Autumn moon is bright

(with apologies to the 1941 movie, The Wolfman)

• Like 3

Very interesting, sounds like my rescued Siamese who will "give me five", she slaps my hand when I say that and she will lie down and roll over. She very much acts like a dog. :)

That cat in the video is just a mongrel cat with mange ..my newest kittens are the 5th generation from the cat I got 7 years ago and is still alive. Looking at that video thats definately one pet I shall never get ..its like a retarded normal cat ?

The cat does look...well...odd :( I don't get why people want animals like that...not to now try to make them on purpose :(

Ach c'mon now, get over yer selves. These wee things are alive whether you like it or not so if some one is gonna look after them and give 'em a bit of love then so be it. Only thing i'd say is if ye want a dog then get a dog.

• Like 2

An unusual breed of cat that resembles a wolf and acts like a dog has been gaining in popularity.

I've looked at a few videos, and visited the breeder's website, and I can't see or read any indication of them 'acting like a dog', from the videos I watched they just behave like every other breed of cat does.

Other than that, all I can say is that if your decision to own a cat rests on whether or not it looks like a Werewolf, you might want to reconsider if committing to owning a cat is a good idea for you, and indeed the cat.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 2

It was so strange when I read the story and they mentioned that Johnny Gobble and his wife were breeders! I know Johnny! He used to work for me at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine a long long time ago! Small world!