Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

opinion needed on unexplained photo I took

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,561 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postinterstatemook, on 22 June 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

ok thank you very much i will move it over there. but can you tell me how to do it lol =0D

Pm a mod....You can do this easier by hitting the " report " button on your very first post....Just ask for this to be moved.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#17    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 22 June 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Problem with satellites (or venus or similar) is that they aren't all that big or bright in daytime - these images appear to have been taken just before midday, with the camera set to 1/4000 sec and f22, ISO 200...  A plane catching the sun might do it, but.. I don't think that is possible because the lens appears to be focused nowhere near infinity..

Just look at all the other stuff that the Op seems not to have noticed - hairs, dust, etc in the image - it's focused very very close, imnsho..  Looking at the last image, there are white specks all over the place.  It wouldn't surprise me if OP is also gradually frying his sensor in the sun and pixels are failing.. ('hot' pixels)..
it could be the ISS which can be seen if you take pictures of it. In the day tooo

#18    Scudbuster

Scudbuster

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• "This Train will stop at Tucumcari"

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pretty much looks like dust on the sensor - I've had similar effects. When you point the camera into a strong light source such as the sun you can easily exaggerate the "prism" effect too.

You have to either get your camera cleaned by your camera shop or do it yourself. I typically do it myself - there are many kits out there, here's a link to one of them:    

http://delkin.com/c-...eaning-kit.html

#19    interstatemook

interstatemook

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

thank you guys for your help. i think i would be more excited if it were a satellite. i knew about all the dust particles on the lens so i tried to see what was dust and other particles and what wasnt. i really appreciate everyone taking the time out to check these out. now that i know for sure they arent anything i can throw them on the back burner lol. i am dropping my camera off to get the lens and sensor cleaned.
here is the info if anyone is interested even though we came to the conclusion that its dirt
the footage was shot on a tripod with MF in Shutter Mode.
I was using a sony nex-vg10.
they were all shot between 11:11 and 11:12am on 6/19/13
using a focal length between 194mm and 200mm
1/4000 Manual exposure f22
Iso 200
Auto White Balance

#20    interstatemook

interstatemook

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

#21    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,246 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Now that I've seen the video, yes, it's almost certainly nearby bugs and dust catching the sunlight.  Nice camera, by the way, but you really need to use manual focus to focus it on infinity...

but .. I also have to say I winced in pain watching that!  You should never point any sort of camera steadily at the sun for that long, no matter what the exposure settings, unless you are using proper solar filters.  I'd say you are very lucky if the sensor hasn't suffered permanent damage.

That's possibly a tribute to Sony sensor engineering - although they get a fair bit of flack, they make some of the best sensors and cameras on the planet... (I love my Sony Alpha 57.. and no I don't work for them or have shares..)

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#22    interstatemook

interstatemook

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 22 June 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Now that I've seen the video, yes, it's almost certainly nearby bugs and dust catching the sunlight.  Nice camera, by the way, but you really need to use manual focus to focus it on infinity...

but .. I also have to say I winced in pain watching that!  You should never point any sort of camera steadily at the sun for that long, no matter what the exposure settings, unless you are using proper solar filters.  I'd say you are very lucky if the sensor hasn't suffered permanent damage.

That's possibly a tribute to Sony sensor engineering - although they get a fair bit of flack, they make some of the best sensors and cameras on the planet... (I love my Sony Alpha 57.. and no I don't work for them or have shares..)

lol im very happy i didnt damage my sensors now that youve told me this. lol but thanks for the advice. i will definetly keep this in mind

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users