Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

16th-Century Priest's Magic 'Superpowers'

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

View Postthe L, on 13 September 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Who is Goetia? Btw if such creatures/beings exist why would called them deamons? Im mean seems that they do more good then harm.
Well,they're really spirits .They commonly get classified as "demons" ,but they are spirits,with many attributes and abilities .
The first book I ever got on them,classified them into good and more evil ,depending upon what it is they do .
More modern texts just say demons,but they really aren't demons.
I need to remember to not fall into these trappings,of using terminology people use,because they do not fully understand them.

There are 72 of them. They have different abilities ,some very specific,which all sound a lot like what this priest claimed he could do .

http://www.esoterica...omon/goetia.htm

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 14 September 2012 - 05:30 AM.

Miss me?

#17    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

I have two superpowers I can say stuff nobody understands and i can speak to people on other continents. put them together and now I have people I never met that don't understand me. "sigh"

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#18    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Interesting Guy .. The Cave Part Was Rather Cool, But It Makes Me Giggle How He Liked To Brag Around Town .. Hihihi

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#19    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

its nice to have a nice story like this whether it is real or not so that life will not be as always like this and that.. lets make some fun sometimes....

im thinking where he could be after the trial?..

#20    Qwaiser

Qwaiser

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Lol, interesting..saying he went to depths of hell to get these powers, wont it have been better to say he got them from heaven and then brag about it?

#21    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Many of the witch hunters in the 16th and 17th Centuries, like Cotton Mather and Matthew Hopkins collected all kinds of remarkable stories about the alleged powers of witches and demons, and I have no doubt that these were true--in least in the minds of most people at the time.  Obviously torturing and threatening to torture the accused, which was the norm back then everywhere in the world, obtained some remarkable "confessions", as did the belief that confessing might result in more lenient treatment, or at least a more merciful death.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

And Massachusetts today is considered one of the most "liberal" states.  See what happens when people move their brains ahead just a few hundred years?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

This is the famous Salem Witch House, where Sheriff John Corwin resided.  Supposedly as he was hanging the witch Bridget Bishop, she cursed him saying that he would be given blood to drink.  Corwin was found dead in this house, evidently choked to death on his own blood, and they say the curse has also done away with several other sheriffs of Salem over the centuries.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Every year in Salem they have a reenactment of the trial of Bridget Bishop at the Old Towne Hall, where she is of course found guilty, as well as tours of the Witch Dungeon and other historical sites.

http://chrome://newt...p5ZXZbnYy4IplkQ

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 22 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#25    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 12 September 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

All of those powers are attributed to demons of the Goetia .He probably practiced ceremonial magick ,which is the foundation of summoning these demons .
Interesting .I've never heard of him .
lol my thoughts exactly, the goetia thing is the book of solomon isnt it? ( book or key?)

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#26    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,796 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Does this make that Priest an X-Tian?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#27    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

"He and three men went to explore a cave. He said it was 3,000 leagues below the surface of the Earth," said Chuchiak, summarizing the Spanish language account. Apparently, the men got stuck there, with most of Calderón's companions dying.

Interesting that he describes going that deep into the Earth. The History channel describes Hell not being another Dimension but a part of Earth.

#28    GS1

GS1

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Sounds a lot like Joseph Smith, false prophet of Mormonism/treasure locator. Was Smith also in league with the devil? I would say yeah.

#29    New World Within

New World Within

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• Love is not blind...we are.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

The man was mad...complitely nuts!! :O

#30    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

The Goetia (Liber Malorum Spirituum seu Goetia) is one of the five books that is commonly called The Lesser Key of Soloman. Of course, if one would ever stop and study it, one would see that it wouldn't be this Grimoire that was used in this case. Both due to the time, and location. As well as it evokes the said spirits not through the power of the "Devil" but by the grace of "the LORD"...

If I were to guess what grimoire was used in this case, I would say it would be... The 6th and 7th books of moses, Clavis Inferni, Grimoire Verum, or The black dragon... and a early form of the last two ones...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users