Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The science of why we tell lies

Still Waters

Lying can often be easier and kinder than the truth, and anybody who claims they've never lied is probably lying right then. But it's surprising to see the stark figure that we lie, on average, ten times a week. The small fibs are so innocuous that they apparently trip off our tongue without us even noticing that we've deviating from the truth.

But why do we lie so often - and at what point does lying become pathological?

http://www.telegraph...why-we-lie.html

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 2

I don't know if anyone could take absolute honesty, especially if it's about themselves. Lying is both self-motivated and self-protective, and it does become dangerous when it's distorted to serve our own purposes. I'd rather omit the truth or bend my words than to outright lie. I struggle with being completely honest in situations where it could hurt or offend someone's feelings even though it's probably better in the long run for them to know the hard truth.

• Like 1

I can't say that I never lie, but I utterly loathe lying. So I will avoid the subject, change the topic, flat out say I'm refusing to answer, be brutally and/or kindly honest, not tell all I know in an answer, and make the truth dance a fine jig... all to avoid outright lying if I can help it.

I'd rather take my lumps for being honest than suffer the consequences that lying can bring. It sure has cost me some friendships and goodwill at some jobs, but it has also ensured some friendships and gotten me some stellar references for other jobs.

• Like 1

:lol: You sound like me, rashore. Try answering the phone at work with six people who constantly ask you to lie about where they were going and when they'd be back. That was a miserable and short employment.

Question: Does this make my butt look big?

Answer: It doesn't show off your best attributes.

Edited by Michelle

:lol: You sound like me, rashore. Try answering the phone at work with six people who constantly ask you to lie about where they were going and when they'd be back. That was a miserable and short employment.

Question: Does this make my butt look big?

Answer: It doesn't show off your best attributes.

The colour really matches your eyes . ;)

'Islamic State' woman to another; "Does my bomb look big in this dress?"

I find telling the truth all of the time can become a type of prison, I use to lie all the time when I was younger little things though. Nothing huge. Also there is no such thing as a white lie, lying is lying.