Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sun's Almost Perfectly Round Shape

sun round

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,774 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 20 August 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

I'm no rocket appliance, but I'm gonna go with ....if its gravitational force is enough to keep 9 (maybe) planets in orbit...maybe its gravity is strong enough to negate the spinning bulge.

But then again...Im just a mule and cant figure out how any of it affects my life. I for one would rather have the stumped scientists work on something like ending world hunger or curing cancer.

Well, it would affect your life if the Sun has a sudden hernia. :passifier:

#17    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

View Postpallidin, on 24 August 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

Well, it would affect your life if the Sun has a sudden hernia. :passifier:

Well...true!

But what i meant was that the sun's gonna do whatever it pleases. If it decides to have a hernia or a hiccup, knowing how why and when isn't really gonna stop it from happening or save my muley hide.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#18    Nasty Gash

Nasty Gash

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

View Postozman, on 19 August 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

I am sure the gravity pushing inward and nuclear fusion pressure pushing outward causes balance and perfection.  If pressure is leaving from core outward and gravity is pushing hard on the outside then imperfections should get corrected automatically and a smooth balance should exist.

Look at white dwarfs and high gravity objects, i am prettys sure they are perfectly round.

You're assuming that the two forces are equal and that there are no other forces in play.   This is not the case.  The Sun's diameter is dependent upon the partial pressures of all its constituent gases (total pressure), the radiation pressure, its gravity and the centrifugal force imparted by its rotation.  That explanation is a bit simplistic but serves for this discussion.  Of those, gravity "pulls" toward the center while the others "push" away from the center.  If the Sun were not rotating, only the total pressure, the radiation pressure and gravity would be factors and each of those would act equally in all directions with its own magnitude.  That would result in a perfect sphere.  The Sun's diameter is determined by how far from the center those forces are in equilibrium. However, the Sun's rotation imparts a centrifugal force which "pushes" away from the center and this force is greatest at the equator and that causes the expected bulge.  Again, this is a little simplistic but serves the illustrate the dynamics.

Edited by Nasty Gash, 25 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#19    ArcticDaystar14

ArcticDaystar14

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Oh! How could I be so stupid!? The picture is a constant reminder that out of us three, you are the least cool!"

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well then can someone give or email me a picture of what an actual perfectly round circle/sphere looks like? I can't be told a conclusion with little evidence? EmbryoRothstrikes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users