Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 8 votes

The slenderman myth

myth

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#196    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,266 posts

• Question everything

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostLesionia, on 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I like jack though... Oh and Der Grossman translates to the grossman, which doesnt make sense.

Gross= great, large, imposing, as in Frederic Der Grosse, AKA Frederic The Great.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#197    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostLesionia, on 27 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I like jack though... Oh and Der Grossman translates to the grossman, which doesnt make sense.
Heh, I had asked my hubby about this the other day before I posted about my grandpas tales. At the time I didn't think it relevant to add this part of the conversation, but maybe now it is :) My hubby is a German immigrant too, born there, came here as a kid.

I had gone down to him and asked "Honey, have you heard of Der GroBmann?" and he looked a little confused and asked "Did that have a big funny looking B in it?" I said "Yep, it's supposed to the German name for the slenderman, tall dark scary UL guy." and he said "Um, that B is an ss sound, Der Grossmann, which yeah, basically means big man." He thought at first when I said GroBmann, that I was talking about a rude man because grob in German means rude or crude, lol.
Hehe, it's been noted before that I'm rather poor with reading to pronunciation of German. He pronounces it all rich an rolling, Grroussmaann. I end up saying it more like Growss-man.
I asked him about the B/ss thing again this morning, and he told me how to make the proper ß- you use the option key and the s key at the same time. ß means the double s sound- Großmann and Grossmann are both correct apparently, but GroBmann is not correct, hehe.

And he had never heard of Der Großmann. Never had heard the phrase before the other day when I first asked him about this.

#198    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 27 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Gross= great, large, imposing, as in Frederic Der Grosse, AKA Frederic The Great.

Or a Gross Income :P

Posted Image

#199    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Our differences make us who we are.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think we can conclude that it was made up. Now, it seems real enough to harm people. So why is it so hard to get rid of?

#200    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,194 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostLesionia, on 01 March 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

I think we can conclude that it was made up. Now, it seems real enough to harm people. So why is it so hard to get rid of?
So how many have required medical treatment from slenderman related injuries?

#201    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Slenderman is difficult to get rid of because people WANT to believe in crap like this.  As long as there is will for believing in lies like this, there will be plenty of people lacking the critical thinking skills to prevent the spread of the dis and misinformation.  Slenderman has never harmed anyone.  Find one single medically documented case of a bonafide slenderman-caused injury.   Nobody can because there aren't any such things.  

Slenderman isn't "real enough" to do anything except spook and entertain those people who insist on believing in it despite the documented proof that it is fiction.  So guess in a sense if harm it is being done it is that collectively we are all dumber because of the refusal of a few to engage in reality instead of supplanting it with fantasy.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#202    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Why do you think that people have sustained real harm? Has there been documented evidence of physical or psychological harm that has been shown to be the result of Slenderman?

Or just people telling stories on the Internet about some mythical boogieman that has been shown to have its origins as an Internet forum hoax about 4 years ago?  

It sounds like you actually think (or want to believe) that there is something to the Slenderman stories.  You yourself said he was known in medieval Europe and perhaps ancient Egypt.  Did you fall for the hoaxes I showed above or do you have other evidence?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#203    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,714 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, what are the odds of at least one tall slender man dressed in black wandering around rural areas of Germany??? .... Pretty good I'd guess.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#204    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Harm people? Since when has anyone been harmed by Slenderman?

I think the strong belief is just people believing too easily and not doing their research. A good example that something doesn't have to real to have many people believe in it.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#205    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,714 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

The very first mention of slenderman suggests he steals children and kills witnesses.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#206    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 31 January 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

HEY! Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are real. AND! I'll not listen to more of your lies!!!!!

:angry:
Here's a thought, if Slender Man is a form taken by demons to haunt people, then maybe Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are "real" and are forms taken by angels to reward good children, hand out chocolate eggs as Easter and compensate children for losing their teeth.

Because that actually makes about as much sense.  Reading back through this thread, there seems to be a lot of "fact" being touted about Slender Man - it's impossible to photograph or video him because of electromagnetic interference, someone killed a Slender Man demon, his history actually goes back to middle ages Europe and beyond even to ancient Egypt, he doesn't really look like he does in the Internet descriptions, etc.  And none of the "facts" are backed up by anything resembling actual facts.  Just assertions or references to proven hoaxes.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#207    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Actually, I never heard of the Slender man until this thread. Guess I've lived a sheltered life, huh?

#208    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I first heard about it on another thread on this forum.  As with "shadow man" and "hat man" and others.

It didn't take much use of the Google to verify that is indeed just an Internet legend.  But once it's taken legs and has true believers, no amount of factual evidence seems to be able to demonstrate that it is an obvious hoax.

If you check Google Trends, you fill find that pre mid-2009, there was no Google searches for "slender man", but then sometime in the second half of 2009, just after the Something Awful paranormal photoshop thread that kicked it off, the term became gradually more popular.  And then in mid-2012, when the Slender freeware game was released (play it, it's short and simplistic but effectively scary and fun) the term rocketed in popularity.  To those who take it seriously and think he is some sort of ancient demon known since ancient times, consider the fact that a Photoshop hoax and a video game based upon the urban myth created by the Photoshop hoax, are what are the reasons for his popularity and that the whole subject is surrounded by an echo chamber of hoaxed backstories, hoaxed images, fake history, etc. that has turned it into "fact" on paranormal websites.

And now it has gotten to the stage that we have someone on this forum claiming to know someone who killed a Slender Man demon.  The mind boggles...

Edited by Archimedes, 02 March 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#209    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

That makes sense really, no one ever heard about the so called Moth man until after the movie came out. And we have a poster here who lived near where the bridge fell that was supposed to have prompted the appearance and she said no one made any mention of it for years afterward......then came the movie and suddenly everyone was recounting their true and semi-religious experiences with this....whatever it's supposed to be.

Edit to add: Sort of sounds a lot like the Roswell thing really. No one ever talked about it or anything until the seventies........claiming they were afraid to talk because of the government. Then you couldn't shut them up from talking about it. Strangely, no men in black of people disappearing.

I guess they didn't care any more, huh?

Edited by keninsc, 02 March 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#210    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hmm... maybe there is something to this Slender Man myth.

Posted Image
Slender Man "operator symbol" claimed to have been photographed in an abandoned house in Ireland that was previously home to a wealthy Anglo-Irish family that abandoned the estate for reasons unknown sometime back in the 1960s.  Source for said photo is unknown and is claimed to have been taken in the mid-1980s and to have been recovered via local photo and video archives by a reporter looking into an entirely unrelated matter.

Posted Image
What is claimed to be the only recovered frame from a recovered video camera found by forensic investigators at a site (Louth Hall, Co. Louth, Ireland) claimed to be a significant source of local paranormal legends involving a slim tall boogie man type figure superficially similar to Slender Man, portrayed as a graffiti inside a room within the supposedly haunted Louth Hall.  The source of this image is claimed to be a local paranormal group doing an "investigation" sometime in the mid 1990s.  This image is claimed (but I don't believe it) to be the only recovered frame from video tape supposedly found recently.

Edited by Archimedes, 03 March 2013 - 01:00 AM.

Also tagged with myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users