Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pub Finds Smoking Ban Loophole

sarah snow

The landlady of a pub has exploited a loophole in the country's smoking ban by opening a "smoking research centre" where drinkers can light up legally, reports said Wednesday.

linked-imageRead more...

I can't find this story by search engine......it's big news over here.

I think it's hysterical that she's found this loophole to use- I bet the council involved are not happy bunnies today as their phone must be ringing off the hook :lol:

I bet the pub will be heaving tonight with al the publicity etc :lol:

Edited by sarah snow

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hermit007

• The Silver Thong

• Admiral Danger

• Michelle

Top Posters In This Topic

a pub near me tried to get around it aswell. Apparently it's legal to smoke in a Private club?? Anyway the landlord charged anyone who entered the pub 5p to join 'the club' and gave them a card saying 'member', thus getting around the smoking in public! havent been there in awhile so i am not sure if it's still going....

Just putting this out there - making smoking illegal in "private" businesses is a travesity of liberty and borderline unconstitutional.

I agree keep Government out of our lives as much as possible. It'll really tick you off then to hear that they want to make it illegal to smoke in your own home in California.

Just putting this out there - making smoking illegal in "private" businesses is a travesity of liberty and borderline unconstitutional.

100% right on :tu: How the government can legally sell tobaco and tax the hell out of it than turn around and slap joe private pub/bar owner with a smoking ban in there own private business is bloody terrible :angry2:

Hey Jack Black I think they tried that here in Canada as well but so far I have yet to see any of these private clubs, what gives. I smoke and I use to love going to the pub. Not now, I would rather stay home and guess what, a ton of business's have gone under. Thank goodness it's summer and on that note it's illegal to smoke on out door patios too. WTF is that about....

100% right on :tu: How the government can legally sell tobaco and tax the hell out of it than turn around and slap joe private pub/bar owner with a smoking ban in there own private business is bloody terrible :angry2:

Hey Jack Black I think they tried that here in Canada as well but so far I have yet to see any of these private clubs, what gives. I smoke and I use to love going to the pub. Not now, I would rather stay home and guess what, a ton of business's have gone under. Thank goodness it's summer and on that note it's illegal to smoke on out door patios too. WTF is that about....

Lets not go into how the "government" is functioning as an illegal, autonomous entity. loL

Nobody I know of that supports a "ban" can adaquately explain how its not violating our civil liberties.

whats a loophole? :huh:

anyway, its not right that the government should be trying to dictate the choices we make in life, whether thats trying to make us eat healthy or stop smoking. i say lift the smoking ban, but keep a room for non-smokers because i know that people like to go out and not breathe in the smoke from a cigarette (like me).

anyway, its not right that the government should be trying to dictate the choices we make in life, whether thats trying to make us eat healthy or stop smoking. i say lift the smoking ban, but keep a room for non-smokers because i know that people like to go out and not breathe in the smoke from a cigarette (like me).

It shouldn't be mandated.. its to the business owner's choice and who their customers are. As for the liability of inhaling second-hand smoke for both employees/customers - have a disclaimer both on the front door and on any application for new employ.

It shouldn't be mandated.. its to the business owner's choice and who their customers are. As for the liability of inhaling second-hand smoke for both employees/customers - have a disclaimer both on the front door and on any application for new employ.

oh yeah, i forgot about that...

It means they've found a legal way to get around the law.

when the law is "illegal", any loophole is acceptable - JMO

I can't find this story by search engine......it's big news over here.

I think it's hysterical that she's found this loophole to use- I bet the council involved are not happy bunnies today as their phone must be ringing off the hook :lol:

I bet the pub will be heaving tonight with al the publicity etc :lol:

Standing room only in there from now on!

HA! Ive got to show a friend of mine who owns a bar this, hes gonna love it...I wonder if he has the stones to try it here.

HA! Ive got to show a friend of mine who owns a bar this, hes gonna love it...I wonder if he has the stones to try it here.

Our loophole in Tennessee is that you can allow smoking if no one under 21 works there or is allowed to enter the building so we still have a number of smoking pubs. Needless to say they are packed.

Our loophole in Tennessee is that you can allow smoking if no one under 21 works there or is allowed to enter the building so we still have a number of smoking pubs. Needless to say they are packed.

Oh man I long for the good old days ahhhhhh to smoke in a pub again (bliss) lol

Tennessee eh........ well, I know where I'm going for my summer vacation :lol:

So Clever......................

B???

Looks like the ploy has failed!

I want a ban on all vehicles that produce carbon monoxide. I also want to ban any carbon-fuel based industry.

I want a ban on all vehicles that produce carbon monoxide. I also want to ban any carbon-fuel based industry.

So you want to ban all forms of normal transport (cars, buses, etc) and all oil industries? 0.o So how would we get to work, run anything that uses electricity, or in fact survive as a country?

So you want to ban all forms of normal transport (cars, buses, etc) and all oil industries? 0.o So how would we get to work, run anything that uses electricity, or in fact survive as a country?

I'm just being sarcastic but just for S & G - lets just ban all these things so the banners can see how silly they are. ;)

nuclear, tidal and wind power :tu: my vote is for tidal. nothing that burns up any natural resource and produces enough energy.

I'm just being sarcastic but just for S & G - lets just ban all these things so the banners can see how silly they are. ;)

Oh :) lol okay :D

nuclear, tidal and wind power :tu: my vote is for tidal. nothing that burns up any natural resource and produces enough energy.

Problem is there isn't enough coastline in the UK to power us all by tidal alone (I remember seeing that somewhere but can't remember the source). Same for solar and wind. Nuclear is the best bet currently I think even though it has some nasty products. I'm just hoping nuclear fusion comes and saves the day. I think the first functional one is planning for about 2020? I can't remember the exact date they're predicting. I went to a lecture on it only a few days ago lol

No he was more or less saying that we should ban anything that can cause adverse health effects. Ban hamburgers, candy bars, sugar, any type of fat, riding a motor cycle, driving, all sports basicly, all forms of transport that pollute, medicine with side effects, cosmetic surgery yada yada as any one of these can harm or kill you. The government has absalutly no right to ban smoking in a private establishment none what so ever unless they want to start banning or taxing the crap outa the things I just mentioned. It's a sad sad thing they have done.

Oh :) lol okay :D

Problem is there isn't enough coastline in the UK to power us all by tidal alone (I remember seeing that somewhere but can't remember the source). Same for solar and wind. Nuclear is the best bet currently I think even though it has some nasty products. I'm just hoping nuclear fusion comes and saves the day. I think the first functional one is planning for about 2020? I can't remember the exact date they're predicting. I went to a lecture on it only a few days ago lol

the problem i have with nuclear power is it uses up atoms, id rather use up as little natural resources (and fossil fuels) as possible. tidal power will give us more energy than wind power ever will, but the goverment would rather go for wind power because its cheaper to build for each wind turbine to the tidal turbine. britain is an island, im sure it will get enough energy from the tides to power the entire country. its just its gonna be really expensive :unsure2:

No he was more or less saying that we should ban anything that can cause adverse health effects. Ban hamburgers, candy bars, sugar, any type of fat, riding a motor cycle, driving, all sports basicly, all forms of transport that pollute, medicine with side effects, cosmetic surgery yada yada as any one of these can harm or kill you. The government has absalutly no right to ban smoking in a private establishment none what so ever unless they want to start banning or taxing the crap outa the things I just mentioned. It's a sad sad thing they have done.

ban hamburgers :cry: NOOO!!!! dont ban the good.... tasting products....